Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who can still eat whatever they want?

Thanks Josephine. That what I have been planning for. I def. have trigger foods that I need to stay away from, but the idea of eating a variety of flavorful foods in small portions, ie: "normal eating," is one of the most appealing things about the band.

Yes, 123alk that was my understanding too. I have not been eating the "slider junk foods" as my dietician calls them, but I have still been able to eat unlimited quantities of healthy foods despite the fact that I have 4 fills and was banded 3 1/2 months ago. I could and should have chosen to "diet" the old fashioned way until my restriction kicked in but I had heard stories from other bandsters in my program that if you are losing weight (1-2 pounds per week), they won't give you a fill. So I figured what was the point of having the surgery in the first place if that was going to be the case. I never realized that it would take this long for results. I do love the quote in the post after yours - do not let your knife and fork dig your own grave. Excellent!! Did you lose any weight during the pre-surgery stage? Best of luck to you.

Linda

Hi guys.. I got banded 10/10:) i can eat almost anything but smaller portion:) i tried beef burger with toast the other day and it was horrible. It got stuck:( not sure if the burger or toast:) otherwise.. Anything passed through:) i've lost 5 kg so far.. Haven't done any exercise yet:) the weather getting really nice over here.. I'll try with walking:)

Oh, yeah - before I had good restriction (about 6.5 cc in 10 cc band) I could eat like normal. I ate freaking 4 pieces of pizza one time.

Now, I can still eat pretty much WHATever I want, just not as MUCH. It's so funny because before the band, I'd make a pan of brownies and easily be able to eat like two large ones. I made a pan several months ago and was SO excited. Cut out my one brownie I was going to allow myself... Ate one bite, and realized it was going to be too much of a hassle and shoved the remainder of the brownies at my roommate and told him to enjoy them. LOL

Everything goes down if I chew it enough - some things just freaking aren't worth the work. :blush:

hi i am new here i had my lapband done on 7/21/08 and i alredy had 2 fills and i still eat whatever i want but i dont get full i dont eat ass much ass i just to but im allways hungry i had my band done by dr.k in delano.cali

I got my band on 7/30/2008 and have had one 3cc fill. I can still eat just like I did before surgery.:thumbup: I can still eat bread, actually a foot long subway sandwich just yesterday! I haven't had any problems eating anything I try too. Who has gone through the same things? Please tell me I am not alone.

Who can still eat whatever they want? Me, I can. But can I eat a whole lot- no.

Sometimes I can eat more than others and it does surprise me from time to time how much I can put away. But more often I just eat a few bites. My 'how much I can put away' is still way less than it used to be.

I could probably eat whatever i wanted, but like some others have said, i'm too chicken to try bread... I'm scared that it will get stuck, or if it doesn't get stuck, i will want it all the time like before surgery. I've only had one fill, so i do not have good restriction right now and will get my second fill at the end of November. I am eating too much because i'm hungry, but i still eat so much less than i did pre-surgery. I seem to be in a food jag with tuna here lately. It fills me up faster, and i eat it with a few crackers so at least i feel like i have had some carbs. I love potatoes, but only eat them once per week or less. I'm having to use a lot of self control right now because i don't have good restriction...and that's hard. I've also had some major stressors recently and i found myself eating comfort foods, which is all the wrong stuff, but i'm getting back to it and will be glad to get some restriction soon :rolleyes2:

Sometimes I can not understand why people would even post something like this. I mean isnt the point of this surgery is to loose weight, so why would you want to go back and eat whatever you feel like, wouldnt that set you back or even make you feel sick? any thoughts

I have really good restriction right now, so I get full on about 1/2 cup of food (except Soup or fluids). For the most part, I eat anything with the following exceptions: chicken, or any bread or bread-like food. chicken or any bread-like food gets stuck and will not go down. I can eat small bites of chicken if it is with something else, like in a salad or casserole, but not a bite of a chicken breast. I had quiche the other day and took a very small bite of crust with the quiche, and it came right back up minutes later. Thankfully I was at home.

Now, I did eat a small amount of spaghetti with eggplant parmesan, and that went down okay.

I'm so scared of my band slipping that I just don't want to try foods that might get stuck.

Cherlita

Sometimes I can not understand why people would even post something like this. I mean isnt the point of this surgery is to loose weight, so why would you want to go back and eat whatever you feel like, wouldnt that set you back or even make you feel sick? any thoughts

Well it depends how you define "whatever you want". If you want to eat Mcdonalds for every meal, then there really isnt much point in band surgery, I agree.

But if you want a healthy non diet lifestyle there is. America and Australia do the post band lifestyle VERY differently. In Australia we dont generally do the Protein first thing, and low carbing is not the craze here that it is there. Australian bandsters are encouraged to eat from all food groups and we're still sort of more towards the low fat high carb diet although the importance of a bit less carbs and a bit more Protein is well accepted. But bread, Pasta and rice (good quality wholegrain ones, not supermarket rubbish) are staples of my diet - to many here, that would qualify as "eating whatever I want" and many would say "if you're gong to eat carbs like that why even get banded?". But truth is, a diet that contains a variety of healthy foods and lowish calories will allow most people to lose weight, carbs included.

A good healthy diet, low in calories backed up by exercise certainly leaves room for the occasional treat. Occasional being the operate word.

I look at my band as a tool to help me live my life better, and I choose to exercise a lot to help that along. I do NOT look at it like an enforced diet for the rest of my life. How miserable. Balance and moderation are the key, not swapping one dysfunctional eating style for another.

i too stayed away from bread but a funny thing for me happened. i notice when i have more variety in my diet, i drop weight faster. i eat very small quantities tho. i bought low carb bread and tortillas and i still intend to stay under 30-40 carbs a day. like for lunch i had chicken fajitas home made with half low carb tortilla . this morning i had half a peice of toast of my low carb bread. I dont have any issues eating anything has of yet. but i do get full fast so im eating about 3-4 oz and sometimes i feel too full eating that amount. i had 4 cc put in my 10 ap band last week. i however do stay away from white starch carbs but i do have potatoes once in awhile. i plan on making french fries out of half of a potato seasoning and then baking them to get the crispy salty taste ive been craving. my husband as been really working with me on this. everything in moderation but one thing i havent gone for is any sweets. wont do it... nope. lol

Well it depends how you define "whatever you want". If you want to eat Mcdonalds for every meal, then there really isnt much point in band surgery, I agree.

But if you want a healthy non diet lifestyle there is. America and Australia do the post band lifestyle VERY differently. In Australia we dont generally do the Protein first thing, and low carbing is not the craze here that it is there. Australian bandsters are encouraged to eat from all food groups and we're still sort of more towards the low fat high carb diet although the importance of a bit less carbs and a bit more Protein is well accepted. But bread, Pasta and rice (good quality wholegrain ones, not supermarket rubbish) are staples of my diet - to many here, that would qualify as "eating whatever I want" and many would say "if you're gong to eat carbs like that why even get banded?". But truth is, a diet that contains a variety of healthy foods and lowish calories will allow most people to lose weight, carbs included.

A good healthy diet, low in calories backed up by exercise certainly leaves room for the occasional treat. Occasional being the operate word.

I look at my band as a tool to help me live my life better, and I choose to exercise a lot to help that along. I do NOT look at it like an enforced diet for the rest of my life. How miserable. Balance and moderation are the key, not swapping one dysfunctional eating style for another.

BRAVO BRAVO(whistling) Great post!!! this is exactly what im learning :):blink: