Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Tight or Just Right

Okay I’m sure each one of you has a fickle band like me. It is enough to drive you insane, one day you’re wide open and the next your band is so tight you can only take two or three bites and your done. I know, I know, I’ve been there done that, it actually happened to me last week. I was eating a ham steak; took three bites and I could feel the tightness in my chest. At lunch I had chicken tacos and was able to eat just fine. How can that be? It boils down to the actual food we are eating, some foods are more dense than others so it makes it harder or easier to get full, depending on how you look at it.

Take what I ate for example. The ham steak was much thicker than the cubed chicken I had at lunch. I waited too long to eat and basically tried to scarf my food. I should have taken the time to chew the ham much more than I did the chicken cubes. Had I taken the time to really chew the ham I could have had more than three bites. We are all guilty of this, we eat too fast and don’t chew well enough then we get frustrated because we want to eat more but we can’t. Don’t get upset if you take a couple of bites and you’re full, it’s one meal. I hear this all time “I only had three bites and I couldn’t eat anymore”. I know how it feels it still happens to me even four years out.

When this happens to some band patients; they automatically think that’s it “I’m too tight and I need an un- fill”. Look at what you ate and how fast you ate; it can be as easy as slowing down and paying attention to how you are eating. We have to be aware of what we are doing as patients and not be so quick to blame our fill amount.

I have stated this before and it’s worth repeating, if you are stressed or eat too fast this can cause premature fullness. If this is happening to you from time to time, start paying attention to your eating patterns.

A. Are you waiting until you are starving to eat, then you try to scarf down your food? Don’t let yourself get to this point, eat well before you reach starvation mode.

B. Do you test your band to see if you can eat something? If you do that’s fine just make sure you are chewing to liquid before you swallow. This will help you avoid PB’s.

C. Are you getting stuck every time you eat, no matter what the food is? If this is happening you could be too tight and need to schedule an appointment with your surgeon.

D. Do you choose band friendly meals because you know you can eat it? It’s okay to eat softer foods if you are going out or will be with a big group. However don’t make it a common food choice just because you know you can get it down.

I know it can get frustrating from time to time. Try to be patient and honest with yourself before you decide if you’re too tight or just right.

Edited by CoachCher

man! you hit the nail on the head with this one! I have been having a really hard time for about 3 weeks... then today, all of a sudden... I could eat!... and eat I DID! still didn't overeat, but I ate more than I normally would have, and it felt good! Still, it gets frustrating trying to figure out why the band seems tighter at times... When I try to eat something and I feel like I am going to PB, I sneak off by myself because I don't want my "well-meaning" loved ones to know that I am doing that; I know they will say something, and what am I to do? I wanted restriction.. well, I got it... and I am in it for the long run! Is it worth it? Ask me after the first 100 pounds are gone!!

I have the same issue - I thought I was over-filled but then yesterday could eat more - today ate 3 bites of my lunch and had to pull over and throw up in the car - I know that is gross but sometimes I have to do that and sometimes I can go out with my husband and eat a piece of fish and vegetables and no problem - it is hard to know if you are over-filled or under-filled. Thanks.

Coachcher,

I am new to Lap bander.com and reading you article is what made me decide to register. This is "so Me". I am 20 weeks out from surgery (May 08) I am 30lbs down :smile:and am learning that I need to slow down. I thought I was eating slow but all the signs and systoms(vomiting and pain reflux) say I am not. My last visit with my doctor I asked him to unfil due to my constant vomiting. He did, but also share I was right on track and that I still had a lot to learn. With that said my daughter found this site for me. Of course my doctor is correct and I need to learn to stop at that first full feeling not to question it. I am also eating to fast. (I do weight my foods) Dining out is a great chellange for me (even when i think I am making good choices. Your article I believe is the key and a wake up call.

Thank you

Florida Gal

Darlene:smile:

Coachcher-

I was filled up to 7 and a half cc. It was just too tight. From a 245 lbs patient- I got banded January 18, 2007 and last august 22, I was 133 lbs. I went for another fill ( I am 5'2") so my ultimate goal was a 110 lbs. Well my 1cc fill brought my weight down to a 115 lbs within 3 days! I just could not keep anything down, even Water.

3 weeks later, I had to fly out to manila to get an emergency decompression as ordered by my lapband doctor. I was dehydrated and it was just plain scary because going to the bathroom and going back to my bed was a huge chore for me. When I got my unfill, I suffered from edema for 3 weeks, bad gas, flatulence everyday, acid reflux, plus my urinalysis showed that I was peeing albumin already. I had to see a nutritionist and a gastro doctor. I was ordered to gain weight ASAP! Like an anorexic patient, I was ordered not to weigh myself.

I am back to a whooping 155 lbs and scheduled for another fill, My family is scared that I might go to the same experience again. I trust my Doctor that he will guide me through this. What a journey this has been. As the old cliche goes, "what won't kill me, will just make me stronger."

The only time I get stuck on food is when I let myself get too hungry and I rush through the 1st 2 or 3 bites of hard Protein. I'm more than 1 year out of surgery and I've lost 50 lbs while fighting with the last 10 of them (still have 80lbs to go). I can also gulp water...which I heard I shouldn't be able to do since I'm banded. I think it's time for a fill. What do you think?

I have trouble knowing when to get a fill - the minute I get one I think it is too tight but last time I stuck with it and after a couple of week felt better - it is tempting to get an unfill right after a fill because it feels like you can't eat anything but I have finally learned it gets a little looser after the swelling goes down. I have a Realize Band that I think holds 10 cc's and I think I am not quite half filled so about 4.75 cc's and feels pretty good. I get stuck sometimes and have to throw up occasionally which is bad but sometimes you think you can take one more bite and that does it . I am losing weight very very slowly and it is depressing - I guess what is hard is that I wanted it all to come off in my stomach and it seems to be coming off everywhere BUT my stomach - maybe it will be the last thing to go - I guess as long as it goes down eventually I shouldn't complain but I am only down about 15 and am almost 5 months post-op. very slow.

Hi SSankofa73,

Congratulations on your weight loss, you have done fantastic. I am properly adjusted right now and I can gulp Water, so don't let that be your gage to get another fill. This is how you gage if you need a fill.

1.) You feel as if you are wide open. Meaning you can eat way more than you should be eating.

2.) You are not losing a minimum of 1-2 pounds a week

3.) You are following the band rules and still not losing.

You might need a fill if all of these components are in place.

Hi Pjd3253,

I know how frustrated it can be. Focus on what you are doing well and areas you can make improvements.

The band journey is a self paced journey, you can go as fast or as slow as you want to go.

If you are properly adjusted you should be losing between 1 to 2 pounds a week, if you are not seeing these results you might need a fill.

Also pay attention to your chewing and the size of your bites, this might be an area you need to work on.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi Laniayala,

Bless your heart that is so scarey. It sounds as if you have it under control right now, I wish you nothing but the best as you get it all figured out. You are so right about "What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger" and trust me you are being very strong and brave right now. Please keep in touch and let me know how your doing.

Hi Darlene,

I am so glad you found us here at lapband talk. The band has a learning curve for sure and sounds as if you are right in the middle of your learning. Please be kind and patient with yourself as you get it all figured out. You are doing amazing you are averaging 6 pounds a month very good for a band patient. Keep up the great work, watch the size of your bites and your chewing and you should do just fine.

This is soooo true! I have only lost about 15 pounds in 5 months. So last month I started exercising. I have had 2 fills -- 1.5 cc & 1 cc 2 weeks ago. The 1st fill didn't really change anything. I have seriously been trying to figure the band out and work with it but it can be very fickle. Now after that 2nd fill -- things have changed. I am now losing weight. I can't gulp Water. I can only get down 3-4 bites of dense Protein. I can never over eat. Oh, I still try. And I pay for it dearly. I am like Pavlov's dog -- how many negative reactions will I have to have before i give in and eat the right way?

Coach Cher!

Thank you for the advice. I went to the doctor yesterday and the PA gave me a fill. I hope this time will be the charm. I was on whole liquids for 24 hours then I moved on to mushies this evening. I think I feel restriction already. I had all the other symptoms that you mentioned so I think it was a good time for a fill.

What about flem? I have been post op 10 months and have not lost very much weight due to this situation. I had my gall bladder removed in august and had unfil of everything. Slowly started having my fills and I am currently at 6.3 my band holds 10cc. Bu I have noticed that everytime I have a lot of flem. My food will get stuck and I will have to throw it up and its more flem than food. Anyone familiar with this? Please help....