Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 15 days post op. I've been a perfect little patient and not strayed from my prescribed diet, with the exception of a couple puffed cheetos last week. Today, I grocery shopped, bought some plain chips to pack in lunches and I had an overwhelming "need" to have some. I probably had 10 whole chips. I'm probably fooling myself, but I'd like to think my body was just screaming for salt...at any rate...I felt really bad about the whole thing. I'm on mushy type food right now, but I'm sure the chips won't hurt me cause I chewed and basically disolved them in my mouth.

I just feel like one little thing will lead to out of control behavior. When just a month ago, I would have ate 1/2 the bag as an appetizer for dinner!

I know I won't go my entire life without indulging some cravings, within reason, but having a band makes me feel like I can NEVER ever touch the stuff. I think I need to let it be, and go on. I guess I'm not "out of control" as I was able to stop and I know I shouldn't be having that type of stuff at this point.....*sigh* :biggrin::sad:

Hey Chickie! I did the same thing... I got banded a week before you *(and I am self pay too) but on 2nd to last day of mushies-- I did WAY more than just 10 chips. I had soft tacos for lunch and a cheeseburger from McD's for dinner. Totally caved to old habits and came in here to confess. My post was "confessing, moving forward" in a General Surgery or General Discussion. I got some REALLY honest and helpful feedback. I know EXACTLY how you feel but we need to make sure to be realistic. We're not all banded because we're cool with food. ANd this is a total learning process. I can tell you this--- I will probably NEVER eat those things again because the after effects were not good. I felt really sick and had some issues the next day too.. little loose.

I know that I will never be a total angel all the time and for me-- I never did great with super strict diets-most people don't. We're just starting our journey of using this band to help us.

Move onward and forward. I cannot WAIT for my fill next week because I am now on solids (4oz at atime) and am getting the appetite back big time.

KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT!!! Rock that band baby.

Also-- we "midwest" gals need to stick together-- I grew up in Iowa--maybe it's all the steak and pork chops I ate!! :biggrin:

Thanks! I guess I wanted reasurance I'm not the only one who has had a little cheating. Luckily, I have a fair amount of fear of ruining my surgery if I get out of control...more so since I slapped this surgery on a credit card! :biggrin:

I lived in Iowa for a couple years too, West Des Moines/Urbandale area.

Wow, I was surprised at someone taking a chance on chewing the chips down. You're lucky it didn't come back up. LOL I pay close attention to my "Full" feeling. I'm on Day 4 post op on Clear Liquids. I can not eat much, I get way too full..A 1/2 cup of chicken broth, I'm stuffed..I feel more miserable afterwards. Maybe you had your mind set on something while chewing down the chips.. TRY using your mind while you sit down and have your mushies. It should help when eating alone..I guess I am lucky the sweets and junk food laying around doesn't bother me. I try to keep my mind set on positive things like work, friends, family and future smaller clothes...I have a lot of patience to listen to my body....I agree that we all will crave sometime or another forever..It's okay to have a little extra once in a great while. My surgeon tells me to stay away from SWEETS forever..It can wreck you diet. I am still sore and starting to itch around my incisions. Hope everybody is doing okay post op...And to those whe will get banded Friday, good luck...Congrats to those who got banded today!!!

SG

Hi sweet,

I have zero restriction whatsoever. I'm not sure I even had swelling! Atleast it seems that way. I wasn't hungry 24 hours after surgery, but I've been like "normal" ever since. Nothing affects me, not that I've done anything other than the chips. If I forget, and gulp Water, doesn't bother me. I'm on a soft diet right now...I'm eating cheese and tuna, chicken, veggies and soft fruits, so I wasn't worried about not going down or anything. But all in all...good information! Thank you! And good luck to you too!

That 4 weeks after surgery, no matter if you are doing liquids or mushys seems like it will never end. I hated it. If thats the worst you did, you should be fine.

Im eating regular food now again, just staying away from junk mostly. I had a Scholtzey's 1/2 of a sandwich for dinner tonight. I had pizza on my cruise. I might not lose as fast as someone who never cheats, but I wouldnt go crazy either. Just being good 90% of the time.

Ohhh my....this may be tmi, but this morning, my stomach has been cramping like crazy and I've been on the pot 4 times already. I have to believe that after 25 days of not having anything remotely close to potato chips, my body is revolting! Maybe it's a coincidence, but I have a feeling I'll be good and stay away from the chips! :)

I am nine days post op and am very hungry. I have been very good for the most part about following my diet but I have slipped. I would not beat yourself up. I think if that's all you did then you should be fine. I am no doctor and I am only nine days out so maybe there is someone else that might tell you different.... But I think you will be fine. We didnt get banded because there was no issue with food.< /p>

xoxo

I am 2yrs into the band and I can guarentee that sweets will pass through your lips again in the future. I was perfect for the first year. Then I felt so deprived that I started making bad food choices and gained back 15lbs. The second year I decided that the feeling of deprivation is what sabatoged all my other diets in the past. Now, if I exercise daily I will treat myself to whatever I want once a week. Some weeks I can honestly say I have passed. Sure I have not lost weight as fast as others but it is a lifestyle I can live with. I don't think life needs to be all or nothing. Your chips will not seem as tempting if you know that you can have them, and if they are work your butt off during the week and have a couple. I will look to see how many calories a treat is and walk extra during the week to account for the calories. We all have our own little things that get us through the days and if we are good 90% of the time Life is Good! Good Luck to everyone and don't beat yourself up over the little things.

I think we all have a slip up in the early days post banding. The secret to losing the weight is to chalk it up to an "oopsie," don't repeat repeatedly, and move on to eating healthy again.

It sounds like you are on track and have a good attitude. It will get easier in the near future once you have restriction.

I so worry about this too! I'm still preop for a couple of weeks and that bandster Hell could kill me.

All you can do really is move forward. If you put more guilt or resentment for it, then a cycle will start. Don't make it a vicious one. hugs.

Hey, Ex Nebraska girl here and living in central IL now. go midwest girlies!

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE FULL? I TRY TO "LISTEN" BUT UNSURE. ONE TIME I WORRY THAT I AM GOING TO STRETCH MY POUCH AND EAT JUST A LITtLE THEN I GET HUNGRY AND EAT TO FAST AND FEEL BLOATED BUT NOT NAUSEATED. IS THIS FULL? WHERE IS THE MIDDLE GROUND. I KNOW I SOUND STUPID BUT I JUST DON'T WANT TO SCREW THIS UP. BANDED 9/29/08.

hey girls, just a little perspective from the west coast.........we have all had the mentality for so long that we "can't have" any of the good stuff. well that is right, we can't live on it!! what we can do is realize that "normal eating" allows for something that is totally contraindictory to our band eating habits. we can change the way we look at eating and realize that, with restriction, we can have a "goodie" once in awhile becasue that is normal. as you get further along with restriction, fascination with food will begin to decrease and it won't be the focus of the day. it is what it is..... a learning experience and no one can tell another what it is like, we just have to live it. be good to yourself and rip off the rearview mirror! g2s