Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

oh brother...i need help

i know that i am pre-op, i am suppose to be on a liquid diet right now for two weeks. BUT....my dad called (who never calls) and asked me if i wanted to do a father daughter dinner. I was wondering what i could do? Could i have salad? What if i use ex-lax? (even though i know that is not the purpose of it)

Lshelly.. I would just call your doctor i am sure one meal is not going to hurt anything, i am not sure of your entire pre op structure, but my doctor had us on 2 Protein Shakes a day and one low carb dinner. So just be careful of your carb intake and for sure check with your doctor..

a bowl of Soup and only eating the broth would be a good alternative but it's true... one meal won't make that big of a deal. a lot of people cheat on their preop diet... including me!

I didn't do any liquid diet before surgery. My doctor had us on Atkins for 2 weeks. I think for one meal, if you go for Protein and stay away from carbs and sugars, you should be fine. My understanding is that the doctors want our Liver to shrink prior to surgery so that it's not in the way. Good luck, and enjoy time with your dad.

Depends on your situation. I didn't do my preop diet exactly but I lost 15 pounds. HOWEVER my fatty liver didn't shrink and I came to in the recovery room to the news that the band had NOT been placed.

So ask your doc and do what s/he says.

No it won't help. Ex lax doesn't stop things from being absorbed, and it's actually quite harsh and not good for you. I'd call the doc, if I were you, and ask.

Lshelly.. I would not recommend doing that .. that is more like bingeing and purging just out the other end..that is considered a weight disorder... I would recommend just being honest with your doctor.. You have to have communication with them and be honest about what you have done.. I am sure you want them to be honest with you and do the surgery properly and not take a short cut around it just to get by.. So just call them and tell them what you are doing..

I agree w/meschultz. You are a grown woman and paying that doc (or your ins is) a LOT of money for your surgery. THere's NOTHING wrong with wanting to have dinner with your father, especially given the fact that is is a rare treat! So don't be shy or embarassed and no reason to do something kind of, um, shady? like exlax. Just call the doc tell him you plan to go out to dinner with your father and what can you eat that is in line with his plans for you. Period. You don't have to be ashamed or hide it. Just get direction and advice from the professional who's doing your surgery! :tt2:

i know it could lead to a disorder, but i guarentee it would not. anyway, i will call the dr in the morning and see what they say. These first 3 days have been horrible, i am going to start exercising everyday now to make sure that i don't have a fatty liver. The good thing is i don't drink nor smoke, i weigh 250 and i am 5'8. I am going to talk to dr, i just hope that i will be ok.

I'm sorry to be a party pooper but you are going to have to refuse a lot more dinners than just this one until you get so you can eat small portions so I would just say, I can't got with you dad, I'm really trying to take care of my health and my weight problem. Start a new life right now, I did! It's really hard but God will help you!

Some of the previous posters are right. The function of the pre-op diet is to reduce the fattiness of the liver. You don't have to do a liquid diet to accomplish this. You only have to do low carb. When you eat with your dad, just eat a nice lean piece of meat or fish and a salad with ranch dressing. Ranch is low in carbs. You can also eat a non-starch veggie like green Beans. No potato. No bread. No dessert. No sweet Salad Dressing. No sugary drink. Otherwise you will be fine. Please keep in mind that some doctors don't require a pre-op diet at all. And some just require low-carb.

i know that i am pre-op, i am suppose to be on a liquid diet right now for two weeks. BUT....my dad called (who never calls) and asked me if i wanted to do a father daughter dinner. I was wondering what i could do? Could i have salad? What if i use ex-lax? (even though i know that is not the purpose of it)

The lap band requires a life style change---I did not cheat during 5 weeks of liquids. There is a reason for the liquid diet and you need to have will power and do what your doc says. Be strong and don't give in to temptations. Have some Soup and tell your dad thank you so much for the company..

I don't mean to be rude this is my personal opinion (if you want the band to work for you -you have to follow the rules)

I agree, if your doc told you to stick to liquids, you need to do that. You are already struggling with the peanut thing and now this. You need to really get your head around that this is not an optional thing...if you want the band to work, you have to start NOW. It does not matter what other doctors do or do not do. Yours has made the best recommendation for YOU and according to how HE does HIS surgery. Some doctors don't struggle with the slippery liver, but others do a more skilled job if it is out of the way. You are jeopardizing your own goals AND your potential for surgical complications!..why would you do that?

Exercise will not shrink the liver. Only the depletion of glycogen does that. Depletion of glycogen is accomplished only by giving the body no other choice of calories to burn...it burns glycogen, stored from days to weeks ago, out of the liver LAST from any other source of food energy! Eat things not on plan or eating too much and your exercise will simply burn up what you are eating, NOT what is already stored in your liver.

Commit. Do not compromise.

Edited by gentylwind