Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so depressed, I think this was the worst mistake ever.

Hi Cherry,

I KNOW, I felt EXACTLY the same way! I stopped even coming to this site because I was so discouraged. It was depressing to see all of these people who had their surgeries later than I did, losing like crazy!

I lost the initial 10, then after surgery I actually gained a couple of pounds. I didn't get any restriction from my first 2 fills. I felt like such a failure! The third fill was the one that did the trick. I had my surgery in April and finally got restriction in August!

When I went through the classes, they briefly touched on the fact that it could take a little while to get restriction. I think that they should have focused on that much more. After reading and reading on this site and others, I found out that MOST others experience the same thing to varying degrees.

My doctor says that over a period of a year or a little bit more, I will likely have the same weight loss as a gastric bypass patient. It's just that the lap band starts off slower. But, we all end up in the same place! :wub:

Good luck!

My doc said that basically I wouldn't lose nearly as much as the gastric bypass...he def. favors it more...

Anyway, by testing she meant blood test for thyroid problems. I am diagnosed as having hypotyhroidism and I'm currently taking levotyhroxine at 75micrograms....

Blackcherry,

I had surgery on July 1, 2008 and I've lost 20 pounds. I'm thrilled with my weight loss. May not be as fast as some, but I'm going in the right direction. Slow and steady wins the race here. Slow weight loss is the healthy way.

A couple of suggestions: Resistence training: have you tried doing some resistance training with weights. Lean muscle burns more calories. So in addition to all the walking, try some weight training. Once or twice a week and you may see a difference.

Water: are your drinking enough Water (no juice, soda or pre sweetened drinks)? Water helps flush the toxins from your system and keeps you hydrated.

Get some counseling or join a support group. I know it is hard. I know how easy it is to slip into old habits and talk yourself into going off plan --just this once. But every time you have a chicken nugget instead of a piece of grilled chicken, you are taking a half step backwards. I miss bread and Pasta. But those things got me here in the first place so I have to think about the goal. That may be what is holding you back. The goal --being thin -- can be very frightening. Don't underestimate the power that fear has in shaping (no pun intended) your results. Talking to someone will give the safety net you might need to face the fears and move forward. Perhaps your sugeon's office can suggest someone who is familiar with the lap band and various hills and valleys that we face post surgery.

Celebrate: Since your surgery you've lost weight. Rejoice in your achievement to date.

Nutrition: Does your surgeon have a nutritionist on staff? Perhaps you can make an appointment to work on some meal planning. If you have resort to fast food, the nutritionist may be able to help you make better choices.

Finally: If you have 8 cc's in your band, do you feel restriction? If not, tell your surgeon, perhaps the tubing is leaking.

Please don't fell discouraged. I know this is hard. I wanted this to happen much faster. But I take it one day at a time. You should try to do the same.

I felt awful since my banding June 10, 2008. Yes I've lost 53 lbs as of today, but I don't feel good. I have wished that I didn't do the surgery most days since, not because of the weight loss, but because I didn't have the medical issues before the surgery that I do now.

For some reason after surgery my liver function test came back so high my Dr's were worried I was going into liver failure, and I was sleeping 20+ hours a day. Could not work, my depression was getting worse, and my hair was falling out.

My Dr who did the surgery did not feel that the lap band would cause these issues, but my general Dr thought it did. They still are pointing the finger at each other. It is quite annoying!

It is now Oct. and my liver function has gone back to normal. (My Dr's never figured out why my liver function test was so high.) In August I was diagnosed with a low thyroid function, and have been on medication for it. I do have more energy now, but I still don't feel good. Also my hair is still falling out!!!! I've measured everything going into my body, and it is NOT lack of protein! They have told me to wait a little while longer, and see if it is because of the low thryoid.

Please keep your head up, and keep thinking that you are healthy. The weight loss will come in time.

Are you being paid, by anti lap band people, to write this? LOL - just kidding - really!

Look, you haven't even been banded for 3 months yet. I've gone through the same things, but what keeps me going is reading this forum and learning that many, many people have gone through the same thing. Slow weight loss AT FIRST. Trying to find adequate restriction. Learning what to eat and what not to eat. Learning to make good food choices. We are all either there or HAVE BEEN THERE. Thousands of people can't be wrong. Give it time and do what you know to be right as far as the lap band rules. If you're the rebellious type, don't think of them as rules, think of them as guidelines. I donno...just don't give up yet. You will look back some day and be happy for every penny you have spent. Hang in there.

Ok...I only drink Water. Gave up pop like 6 years ago...funny cuz that's when I started gaining weight. I don't eat fast food all the time : WHEN I do I eat chicken nuggets.

At 8cc's I DO have restriction, just wondering if it's enough.

I have started losing weight I'm just weirded out that it's not coming off fast enough...I'll go two weeks without losing, and then I'll lose two pounds...and that seems to be the cycle I'm doing...I wrote this post when I was down that's all...

From what I have read a lot of people get stuck at plateaus. I think you will be fine. Just try to stay positive. :D

Well they say 1-2 pounds a week, so when you average 2 every 2 weeks you fall into that range....but since you are just getting restriction, my guess is it will pick up speed.

Keep working with it, and beware of fills from this point, if you are feeling restriction, even the smallest amounts make a huge difference sometimes, so you WILL make it!!

We all get down sometimes, and weight is something we can all relate to causing it. Sounds like you have a full schedule with school and all now, and with finances being tight, it is pretty easy to let it be overwhelming. I Hope you begin seeing the results you want so badly, it is hard when you see others doing it, and you are not. I lost slower than many, but it remained steady.....just slow. Now 2 1/2 years later, it has brought me to goal, but there were times, I was SOOOO frustrated wanting it gone yesterday! In the end, it is gone, and I am happy about it....and the time seems much shorter AFTER it is done!!!

Hang in there!!!

Kat

Also, I think that the cyclic weight thing is common (atleast I think for us women). I know I only lose the week of and after my period. I just try to make sure that I maintain during the other weeks.

Hello,

I feel for you. In the start it was really hard for me too. You just need to be patient. Lets face it Mc Donnalds is really not the best choice to eat at. I know that some times you just got to have it and thats ok. Just don't make a habit of it. My big problem was my brain had to figure out that it was ok to eat a small amts of food. I would be full but my brain would say that it was not enough. I just take it day by day. If you slip up thats ok. Stop re-group and move forward. We did not get fat over night and we will not get thin overnight.

Good Luck,

Farm Mom

Hey how is your progress going now?

I have to say I was gobsmacked at how much your doctor charges for fills, that is ridiculous, I would be going to someone else.

With my doctor I get free fills for a year and other physio/psychologist/nutrition appts for free.

Im not loosing anything at the moment, I have no restriction what so ever, have another appointment at the end of the month.

Yeah I know, but I believe there is one other doctor in the state that does fills...yay! so...I'll try there but I wonder if they are going to give me some BS about "well they didn't do the surgery, they can't do the fills". Though it would be a lot shorter drive.

And I'm doing ok...went down to 236ish. Just sitting there now lol...Can't wait till I get to the 220's and 210's. Right now the "Omg! I'm losing weight" hasn't hit me because I've been able to get this low before, but never any lower and I always gained it back and then some lol...

I find that I have mix up my calories have a few days of being on plan then have a day when Im not so careful. I do have those chicken nuggets maybe on day like that. Wendys 4 pc. is 190 BUT 110 of those calories are FAT calories. Darn those innocent looking nuggets. I feel real bad if I have that many fat calories in just four nuggets.

You may want to up your calories a bit for a few days it should jump start your metabolism again your body is getting too used to so little calories and its going to think you're starving.

I agree. I think your body may need more calories for as active as you are. I lose in stair steps, meaning I don't lose every week, but Every other week or even third week. I also find that if I have a high calorie day during the week, I tend to lose more.

But, I am not banded yet. And, I really think banding is a tool, it's not the answer or solution. At least that is how I am approaching it.

I wish you success and happiness. Make healthy choices and think positive!

Honey listen here first off no chicken nuggets get a salad, second I do not care how much you walk at work or for school you must get your heart rate up so run to your class across the campus.Now that aint all, this is not a diet so stop thinking about it as such, its a life style change.Make sure you get your Water in,where are you with Protein? Maybe you just need to shock your body so change things up a bit.I would suggest you do some research on how many calories a day you need I think you still kinda low for your weight so increase your calories to 1500 just make sure its with good food choices not chicken nuggets.But what ever you do just remember what it would have been like before the band you would have lost a few to just to gain back that and a few more.

Edited by Bamagal