Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Introduce Ourselves

I thought it might be nice to have an intro thread. Share as much (well maybe not everything :biggrin:) or as little as you want.

Hi! I am Katherine or Kat. I now live in Central Arkansas but I mainly grew up in Connecticut.

I have been married to a wonderful man for 16 years. He has 5, yes 5, children from a previous marriage. They are now all grown up- 32,31,27, 26,26. We have a cairn terrier named Jake- he is nut :)

I was slender all through childhood through high school. I gained weight from 19-25 and have struggled to lose weight for the last 14 years. This summer I had a scare with my heart and high blood pressure. That is when I began to look at surgical options.

I can not wait to have a tool to help me lose weight.

I look forward to meeting all the other Notorious Novemberites!

I'm Carly! I've been married to my husband for 8 years, we have 2 kids 8 and 2. My husband is in the Air Force and we just recently moved to Montana from San Antonio. I have always been about 10-20lbs overweight. I had lost 20lbs about 10 years ago but when I got pregnant I gained 70lbs then it snowballed! I developed PCOS and since then I have looked into lapband. I finally got approved in August and will be banded November 3rd. I am looking forward to getting healthy, changing bad habits, having more energy, and overall just FEELING better. Looking good doesn't hurt though!HAHAHA!:)

My name is Jasmine..I am 23...Been big all my life was always the butt of everyone's jokes. Had a horrible childhood/teenage times. Now I am waiting for insurance approval and the rest of my appts for my surgery in November. :angry:

Hi I'm Jackie. I've been in Jersey all my life. I was married to a wonderful man for almost 20 years (lost him to cancer in 2002). I have two beautiful children now 13 (son) and 15 (daughter). We have a cute little doggie (bischon/yorkie) named Brody (spaz) and a kitten named pepper (never had a cat in my life so new experience). They are so cute together and play very well, I think Brody enjoys having the company.

I have always been overweight and uncomfortable in my own skin. There was a short period of time from like 16-20 where I was smaller (but of course always saw myself as fat). After starting birth control I gained weight and just continued to pack it on. I'm currently 5'3' and about 260lbs. My blood pressure is slightly high so I takes meds for that and I have an underactive thyroid which I take meds for as well. I cannot wait to be banded, I think this is the tool that will finally have me succeeding with weight loss.

I am 30 years old, mom to 22 month old boy girl twins. Have PCOS, did infertility trmt to get pregnant. I have high blood pressure, am insulin resistant, and I am 5'1 and 195 lbs. I gained weight once I hit 20 and want to get healthy and prevent diabetes.

Hello everyone!

I'm Jaime, I'm 26yo and a newlywed. :redface: I've been big since 4th grade, and in HS I got to 200lbs at 5'8 and thought that was the worst. Then my freshman year of college started and I lost 30lbs because of all the stress, not to mention all the walking I had to do to get from place to place. I was a nice size 12 at Christmas that year, at age 19. Got a boyfriend and started gaining weight. We split up after 3yrs and I gained more weight. I met my husband 3yrs ago at my heaviest, and I've teetered around this 260lbs mark since meeting him.

I found out about the band from a nice couple we met on our honeymoon in Cancun. They were our age and celebrating their 5yr wedding anniversary. She said the lap band had helped her lose 60lbs and get pregnant with their son. After the pregnancy, she got her band filled again and lost all the baby weight and then some. I just found out last month that they're pregnant again, and she owes it all to the band.

So, I came home from my honeymoon in May ready to convince my husband to get me the band. Finally, in August he agreed. I'm SO ready to get the band and get on with my life! I want so badly to be back in those size 12 khaki shorts from when I was 19yo - I still have a pair of them! Sure they're 7yrs old, but I will fit in them again one day.

Sorry I started rambling. I'm so happy to have found this support group, and I wish each and every one of you the very best of luck as we all start this journey together!

YAY NOTORIOUS NOVEMBERS!!!

Hi Everyone:

My name is Fran, I've been married to an awesome man for the past 15 years (with him for 22 years) and have two beautiful kids; my daughter is 7 and my son is 3. Growing up I was pretty average in size but always felt big. I joined a gym when I was 19 and steadily worked out until I was 25 years old, my weight ranged from 130-140. Once I got married at 26, I stopped working out consistently and started putting on the weight. By the time I got pregant with my daughter at the age of 33, I was 195lbs. And for the past 5 years I've yo-yo'd from 212lbs (the lowest weight I reached after my first pregnancy) up to my highest weight of 257lbs. Last year, in March, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea...nothing more embarassing and UNromantic than wearing a mask to sleep. I thought that would be the kick in the arse I needed to start losing the weight...but having SA has only made it more difficult for me to loose. My CPAP definitely helps me, but my energy level is still not where it should be, therefore I find it difficult to push myself to exercise. More recently, my blood pressure, which has always been normal, has started escalating.

I've spent way too many years miserable, sweaty and cranky..basically, I'm just uncomfortable in my own skin. I want to get healthly for myself, for my kids and for my marriage!

Good luck to all of us here...and thanks for sharing on this board, its been such a comfort for me!

I'm Julie. My husband and I have been together for 7 years this month and married almost 4. We have a 2 year old son.

I have always been overweight. I have lost and gained more than I can count. Name a diet and I have done it. I lost almost 50 lbs. 3 years ago when I hit 280 (my highest) but became pregnant 3 months later. I lost the pregnancy weight but, as soon as I stopped breastfeeding, I gained 25 lbs! I've been mulling over the band for 3 years and have finally decided that this is the right time. I don't want my son to grow up to be like me!

I'm having problems with my insurance...they said it might be a month before I have approval. I am going to pester them daily though and get my paperwork approved quicker hopefully. Wish me luck. If things don't go well I might be a December bander...or I might not be able to get banded at all. SO pleaseeeeee PRAY for me to be a Notorious November with ya'll. -hug-

I'm having problems with my insurance...they said it might be a month before I have approval. I am going to pester them daily though and get my paperwork approved quicker hopefully. Wish me luck. If things don't go well I might be a December bander...or I might not be able to get banded at all. SO pleaseeeeee PRAY for me to be a Notorious November with ya'll. -hug-

So sorry your having such difficulty! You keep pestering them and hopefully they will be so sick of you that they will give you the approval! I wish you lots of luck and will say a prayer for you!

Thanks. :wink2:

:wink2: to Froggi! It will all work out, I promise!

I am so sorry to hear that Froggi!

I hope you are able to talk some sense into them! Keep us posted!!

Thanks all...I am going to try.

My name is Carrie, I am 32 years old. I am married to to a Wonderful Man that has truley been my best friend and my rock through this. Our 1 year is coming up on Wednesday but have been together for 6 years. We have three boys, 13, 11 and 6. I have ALWAYS been overweight, kinda tha runt of the family and I am ready to start MY New Life.

I think Cappy said it the best " I've spent way too many years miserable, sweaty and cranky..basically, I'm just uncomfortable in my own skin. I want to get healthly for myself, for my kids and for my marriage"

I wish everyone the best through out this journey!

Ps. Froggi---I think we ALL need start a petition for you....You have to be with us in November! You are a Notorious November!