Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded and really unsure

So I was just banded on Wednesday the 1st and I am pretty scared. I hear people talking about how they didn't need the pain medicine after they went home from the hospital etc thats not me. My entire body hurts and it even hurts to breath in but I am trying to force it so I don't get some kind of lung infection. I guess the needing help getting out of bed and other things like that is really having an effect on me too I feel depressed :lol: I just want to know if this is all normal. I am sorry if this is a topic that has been posted before but I don't come on here very often and don't know how to navigate. Anything you guys can tell me would be really appreciated.

Did you have a hiatal hernia repaired? Because that's going to make you a lot sorer than someone who didn't.

Every person's body reacts differently to surgery. Everyone has a different tolerance to pain. So I don't think you should be overly concerned if you hurt more than someone else. As long as you are able to take in the Fluid amount recommended by your doctor, you should be ok. Also, keep on top of your pain medicine. It is easier to keep the pain at bay than it is to stop the pain once it has started full force. I hope you feel better soon.

I promise you will feel better. If you need the medicine, take it. That's what it is for. The first couple of days I thought I was going to die...and wondered what I had done to myself!!! But once you get over that you will be so happy you are a bandster!!!

julie

Blueyed, I was just banded yesterday in the UK and I'm like you. I'd hoped for the "feeling better the next day" experience and that's not happening. Slim is right, though, make sure you stay on top of your meds; that helps alot or so my nurse has told me. I was trying to "tough it out" but why? I don't need to make this any harder. Be gentle with yourself, move slowly, stay on top of your meds and walk as much as you can. That's the advice I've been given and it's helping. We all have different levels of pain tolerance and, apparently, mines in the cellar. That's ok, though, we all move at our own pace. Eye on prize, as my girlfriend always says. Hang in there and Eye on the prize.

So I was just banded on Wednesday the 1st and I am pretty scared. I hear people talking about how they didn't need the pain medicine after they went home from the hospital etc thats not me. My entire body hurts and it even hurts to breath in but I am trying to force it so I don't get some kind of lung infection. I guess the needing help getting out of bed and other things like that is really having an effect on me too I feel depressed :w00t: I just want to know if this is all normal. I am sorry if this is a topic that has been posted before but I don't come on here very often and don't know how to navigate. Anything you guys can tell me would be really appreciated.

Hi

I was banded on Wednesday 9/24/08. I was really sore when I left the hospital. I used my medication until that Saturday the 27th. So don't feel like something is wrong. Just take it step by step and if you feel like you need medicine take it. You are different from everyone else. Are you using your breathing machine? That helped me with the breathing also try having all of your food/beverages at room temp. I found when I drank something cold I would have chest pains and it was hard for me to breathe. There is nothing to worry about. You will be fine and looking great! I have lost 12lbs in 9 days so it is worth it! Keep your head up. Best wishes :lol:

I was banded nine days ago and I made sure I stayed on top of taking my pain medicine. I still take Tylenol liquid because I have pain at my port site and sitting at work makes it hard to concentrate if I am in pain. It’s not unbearable, but enough to be distracting. I also had a hard time with breathing after surgery, but doing the breathing tube really helped. Actually, before the surgery I used to cough a lot. Now for reason, I don't cough anymore. They gave me an Albuturol treatment (for my asthma) before surgery and after the surgery, I was very consistent with using the breathing tube (even though it hurt) so I think it helped clear things up. I gets better as time goes by so just hang in there and have positive thoughts along the way. :lol:

you're feeling the normal pain that comes with the surgery. i thought that i had a high tolerance for pain and that the surgery wouldn't affect me much even though i've never had surgery. boy was i wrong...

i chose to spend the night in the hospital since this was my first ever surgery. i brought cute pajamas, books, my ipod, curling Iron, a cute outfit to wear home... needless to say i stayed in my hospital gown, never opened a book, never turned the ipod on, didn't wash my hair and wore the same clothes i wore going in to the hospital!

i was in a lot of pain too. i asked for my pain meds every 3 or 4 hours and for the first few times i had to ask for help getting out of bed but it gets easier each time you do it.

i tried to be brave and strong before i left the hospital and wait longer than the 3 hours for my pain meds because i had a long drive home and wanted to take them right before i left and i waited too long and ended up crying and freaking my parents out.

also, i had pain meds that lasted me 3 days after the surgery and i had to call for a refill. if you're in pain... use the medication! it will help you heal faster!!

congratulations on the beginning of this wonderful journey!!

Hi there - we are banding twins! I was banded on 9/24 also and have lost 12 lbs. in 9 days too! Its nice to have this website and hear about people in the same place as you are and those who have been banded for several months and how they're doing. I'm excited about my new life-to-come and I'm sure you are too. Can I ask what you are eating on day 9? I've just been having Protein Shakes, juice/water, yogurt, sugar-free Jello, Soup - either clear broth or creamed soup, and oatmeal. I never liked cottage cheese, so I won't be eating that. Is there anything different you're having? I'm not hungry at all, just looking for some variety. I'm feeling pretty good, just still sore where the port is.

Well, take care and keep up the great work! Feel free to write anytime. Helen

Blue eyed princess...I'm your banding twin~was banded on the first and I feel just like you do. Yesterday, I woke up with my face swollen...like a shellfish reaction...and have no idea what it is. I also coughed a little today and felt something pop a little bit under one of my bandages. My doctor is an hour and a half away and so here I sit, swollen, red face, tired, constriction in my chest, sick of Protein Drinks and dying for anything...I almost even bought Matzo Ball Soup! How desperate, huh? My stomach feels empty and I want to eat something...anything. But I don't. I just took 2 more benadryl and am going to bed. As for the pain meds, don't be crazy. Take those suckers. No sense in being in any more misery than necessary. Keep in touch and please, those of you further along than we are, did you feel like this? For how long?

hi.. i was banded on 9/27 and i can agree for the couple days i was miserable! i was wondering what the heck was i going to do!! and the fact that i couldnt eat to make myself feel better almost gave me a total freak out... today is 10/3 and im sore but i feel great!! went for a 2 mile walk.. etc... it will get better... but i was in more pain than after giving birth to both of my babies!! i didnt anticipate the pain...

I was banded on 9/25 and still need some medication for the pain. It is a balance between pushing myself to move and recover and allowing myself to relax and heal. This is new for all of us. I that I agree with most of you--stay on top of the pain. Call your doctor if it gets worse or if meds do not help. I just keep thinking---in another month this will be just a fuzzy memory replaced by the feeling of setting and reaching new goals. take care and allow yourself to rest, restore, and recover. :angry: Linda

Edited by nurselinda
typo

I've been banded for three days now and things actually seem a lil worse today. I'm bloated, in a lil more pain, very hungry but can't eat because I'm so bloated. I have daily medication to take I can hardly keep down. I live in Jersey C.I. & was banded in England. Jersey is an island between England and France. My doctor lives one of the other islands and it's the weekend. Does anyone have any ideas to help me a bit please? I can't get much in. Haven't had more than a couple of sips of chicken stock and some Water. Hanging in there but really wishing pain would ease up.

Emmica, so sorry you're not feeling well. I never felt bloated, but I was told before I had the band that I would. They said its from the carbon dioxide that they pump into your stomach during the surgery to give the doctor room to work. It should only take a couple of days to leave your body, but in the meantime, try to get some liquids in you so you don't dehydrate. If you have some sugar-free Jello, you could just take a few spoonfuls. Maybe that would go down easy. Definitely call your doctor first thing tomorrow morning. Take your pain medication around the clock in the meantime and I hope that will help you get through this. Great things are coming - don't worry!! In just a week you will feel much better and probably have at least 7-10 lbs off!! You're almost there - just a couple of days of pain and a new life of being slim, healthy & happy!!