Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Area Bandsters

We had a turnout of 5. Small but interesting. N.S. I emailed you the information, but I am not sure it got through? Could you e mail me privately please.

We had a turnout of 5. Small but interesting. N.S. I emailed you the information, but I am not sure it got through? Could you e mail me privately please.

A small group but good to see everyone before the holidays. Always interesting to hear how others handle things & lots of good advice.

A small group but good to see everyone before the holidays. Always interesting to hear how others handle things & lots of good advice.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL BANDSTERS, PRE AND POST.

:biggrin::tt1::sad:

Hello fellow Vancouver bandsters. I hope you all had a good Christmas.

I was really hoping that my school schedule would be different next semester so that I could FINALLY make it to a meeting, but unfortunately it has not - still have class Wednesday nights.

I have been following the posts on this website, the yahoo group sites for NWWLS, and randomly a few others, which has been great. However, I do feel like I would benefit from regular meetings, IRL. So, after much consideration, I have decided that I would look into making another group.

My first question to you all is: If there was another meeting available, would you like to attend it as well? This is by no means to replace the current meetings on Wednesdays at St. Pauls. It would most likely fall on a weekend day, sometime in the afternoon. I have looked into a few places for room in Richmond, as this is where I live. But, I don't mind meeting anywhere else in GVRD, as long as it's on a weekend instead of Wednesday.

Please let me know if any of you are interested, and if yes, which city you are from so we can find something in the middle. Depending on how many people would like this second meeting, I'll try to figure out the next steps.

Thanks a lot! Cheers :-D

Hello fellow Vancouver bandsters. I hope you all had a good Christmas.

I was really hoping that my school schedule would be different next semester so that I could FINALLY make it to a meeting, but unfortunately it has not - still have class Wednesday nights.

I have been following the posts on this website, the yahoo group sites for NWWLS, and randomly a few others, which has been great. However, I do feel like I would benefit from regular meetings, IRL. So, after much consideration, I have decided that I would look into making another group.

My first question to you all is: If there was another meeting available, would you like to attend it as well? This is by no means to replace the current meetings on Wednesdays at St. Pauls. It would most likely fall on a weekend day, sometime in the afternoon. I have looked into a few places for room in Richmond, as this is where I live. But, I don't mind meeting anywhere else in GVRD, as long as it's on a weekend instead of Wednesday.

Please let me know if any of you are interested, and if yes, which city you are from so we can find something in the middle. Depending on how many people would like this second meeting, I'll try to figure out the next steps.

Rather than a formal meeting place, why not a restaurant whereby a few could meet. My TO clinic has meets every month which moves from place to place at the convenience of all. The meet is posted and people respond so the organizer knows how many will be coming. This type of meeting would need an organizer though which my clinic has in Tom. Good luck in your Quest.< /p>

Guest viking girl

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and posting so please forgive me if I'm not doing this correctly. I've been considering LAP-BAND® surgery for awhile and have 90% made up my mind to proceed in early March. I would be interested in attending a group a little closer to home (south Surrey) to get some advise and support. NVan sounds great but too far to travel after work. Timmmers, I would be interested in meeting in Richmond if something can be arranged.

Thanks

Hi,

I think I should join your group. I live in Shanghai China for 5 years but I am from Vancouver and planning to move back there end of this year. Aiming for Sept. I was banded in Thailand 19,09,2008. I have lost 78lbs. (37kg) and goal is 34 lbs. away.

I read your post and it really had not occurred to me that getting fills taken care of might be an issue. You mean there are actually doctors that would deny a patient care because another doctor preformed the surgery? WOW! that's an eye opener. So what if somebody moves to a new place? Tough luck? I guess I can understand that the aftercare is not as profitable and that it might be a nuisance to look after somebody else patient when they went Mexico because it was cheaper but it seems a bit harsh. Especially considering the amount of troubles I've had with acid reflux and semi emergency unfills I have had done recently. (out of space, continue in next post)

Hi everyone !!

Just a couple of notes of interest that I wanted to pass along....

For those of you that attended the last North Vancouver meeting, you heard about Dr. Arsneau at St. Pauls Hospital doing fills for Vancouver Bandsters. I have just spoken to another lady that has seen him for a fill and he confirmed to her that he will take patients that were banded by any Dr. This means that if you are in the Vancouver area and are looking to have your surgery in Ontario or Mexico or the USA an finding a fill Dr was your big concern, it looks like he might be your guy !!! :smile2: I would probably call ahead just to confirm it for myself but I'm pretty cofident in telling you this news !!!

The sencond bit of news is that it looks like there will be another support group starting up for anyone that is interested. The lady starting it is named Geri and the first meeting will be Saturday, Oct. 11th at 11am at 3339 West 41st. It is open to all of those who are already banded as well as anyone looking into it, regardless of where or who your surgeon is. Her email is geri_webre@yahoo.ca for more info.

Quick add-on.....as usual our North Van support group will be on the 3rd Wednesday of Oct. (the 15th) at Lion's Gate Hosp. I'll post again closer to then to give you all a reminder !!!

All the best to everyone !!!

Patricia

Hi,

I think I should join your group. I live in Shanghai China for 5 years but I am from Vancouver and planning to move back there end of this year. Aiming for Sept. I was banded in Thailand 19,09,2008. I have lost 78lbs. (37kg) and goal is 34 lbs. away.

I read your post and it really had not occurred to me that getting fills taken care of might be an issue. You mean there are actually doctors that would deny a patient care because another doctor preformed the surgery? WOW! that's an eye opener. So what if somebody moves to a new place? Tough luck? I guess I can understand that the aftercare is not as profitable and that it might be a nuisance to look after somebody else patient when they went Mexico because it was cheaper but it seems a bit harsh. Especially considering the amount of troubles I've had with acid reflux and semi emergency unfills I have had done recently. I guess I'm pretty darn lucky that they look after me here in Shanghai even when I'm a complainy whiny princess about the conditions at the hospital here as I did my surgery in Thailand. not because it was cheaper at the tune of 12,000 USD+ but because the Chinese hospital was not up to par in my opinion. I'm glad to hear about the Dr. at St. Paul's, hope that is still the case when I get back home or it will be a really big buggery problem.

I was actually looking for a psyc thats deals with Lap Band issues in Vancouver as I thought that I might be able to arrange some sort of online session and pay with my credit card. I'm feeling pretty far out on my own here in Shanghai. I personally feel that there are far bigger issues to deal with in my weight loss than overeating. I would really love to see someone to sort them out and gain some sort of coping mechanism to deal with my often self defeating behavior. There is no one here. I'm lucky if I find an English speaking psyc. There are only a handful here and none dealing with issues related to LB. Maybe somebody can refer me to someone?

Anyway, I would like to join your group to keep abreast of LB situation in Van. and hopefully join your meetings next year

Thank you for your responses Doddie63 and Viking Girl. I really like your idea of informal meetings.

The past week has actually been pretty difficult, both emotionally and with eating. I think if I had some support from fellow bandsters, I would benefit from both having the support but also just from knowing that others have gone through this too and that they are still doing well. I would really like to get to know some of you in person, and learn from your experiences. I feel a bit alone, as I do not know anyone else who has the band, and though my parents are supportive, they don't understand what its like living with the band.

So, I am more than happy to set something up, and be the contact person; But I am not sure how best to get this accomplished. Is this a good place to "advertise" the event, or is somewhere else better? Also, I have a car and can head out somewhere if need be, so is there a better and more central location - like maybe Surrey?

Feel free to e-mail me if you would like (or add me to MSN): tim_4756@hotmail.com

I hope to set something up for before the Olympics, so let me know when is good for most of you, and then I'll pick the most commonly available time / location.

Cheers

Thank you for your responses Doddie63 and Viking Girl. I really like your idea of informal meetings.

The past week has actually been pretty difficult, both emotionally and with eating. I think if I had some support from fellow bandsters, I would benefit from both having the support but also just from knowing that others have gone through this too and that they are still doing well. I would really like to get to know some of you in person, and learn from your experiences. I feel a bit alone, as I do not know anyone else who has the band, and though my parents are supportive, they don't understand what its like living with the band.

So, I am more than happy to set something up, and be the contact person; But I am not sure how best to get this accomplished. Is this a good place to "advertise" the event, or is somewhere else better? Also, I have a car and can head out somewhere if need be, so is there a better and more central location - like maybe Surrey?

Feel free to e-mail me if you would like (or add me to MSN): tim_4756@hotmail.com

I hope to set something up for before the Olympics, so let me know when is good for most of you, and then I'll pick the most commonly available time / location.

Cheers

I have sent you a personal email.

After receiving e-mails and messages from three people, I have decided to officially invite anyone who wants to come to an unofficial support "meeting". This is the first of what I hope will be many gatherings of fellow bandsters (and wannabe bandsters) to get to know each other, exchange tips & tricks, and support each other as we go through this weight loss journey.

I am not sure if inviting everyone to a food place is contradictory, but I think it's a good place to meet and learn about tricks other's might have on eating out. So, for our first meeting, I propose we meet at Boston pizza in Ironwood, in Richmond. It's right by the tunnel so people coming from Surrey/White Rock/Delta have it pretty close, as well as those coming from Vancouver.

Here is the link to Google maps with the location. 11662 Steveston Highway, Richmond - Google Maps

The biggest problem I had with the meetings currently being held is that they are all in the evening on weekdays. Though this works for many people, it does not fit my schedule. I am free weekdays during the day, and on weekends. Because I don't want to be excluding those who work the "standard shift", I think meeting on a Weekend would be best. Therefore, our first meeting should be on January 23rd, 2010. If you are interested in coming and this day does not work, please let me know, and we'll see if we can change it (as I doubt too many people are going to be coming to this first meeting).

Boston pizza, Richmond (Ironwood) at 11:30am, on Saturday January 23rd, 2010. This is our meeting time and place. For any of you who wants to come but may not be able to make it due to transportation, please post on here as either someone may be close by who can give you a lift, or I might be able to come pick you up.

I feel a bit like I'm on a deserted island and my only way of talking to other's is by sending messages in bottles - not knowing who will read them and who will respond. I would really like to find someone else on this island with me, so we can support each other. :-)

Please let me know. Cheers,

Tim

tim_4756@hotmail.com

Guest viking girl

Hi Timmers,

I'm interested in coming on the 23rd but might have to leave early to catch a ferry. Tried to add you to my friends account but probably failed - I'm new to this social networking stuff. Keep strong and I'll see you on the 23rd.

Viking Girl

I attended the seminar at False Creek Surgical Center in Vancouver and found it very informative. My consult is booked for Jan 20th and very excited! Hoping to have my surgery in February.

Hope this helps!

Antonella

I attended the seminar at False Creek Surgical Center in Vancouver and found it very informative. My consult is booked for Jan 20th and very excited! Hoping to have my surgery in February.

Hope this helps!

Antonella

Congratulations Antonella. I understand they have a great aftercare program.

The Lions Gate Meetings are always open every third Wednesday of the month, if you can't attend anywhere else.