Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Area Bandsters

Hey Guys,

Last week I kind of getting depressed about not losing more weight, like i went through so much pain and was hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel but now I am realizing that this isnt a miracle and will still need work. Dr. Leung's office called me today and rescheduled my first fill from the 9th to the 12th which is kind of annoying because I wanted to get my first fill over with. I have been having pureed foods even tho he said not to but everything has been going down fine, no pain and no gas or anything so I am hoping I am healing properly. I still have that open incising on my tummy tho, it is healing very slowly and I have gone from having a gauze on it to just having a bandaid on it. I have started to write down and keep track of everything i eat on a note pad and then inputting it onto weightwatchers online. I keep telling myself that the more I try to control my intake the happier I will become. I have also begun doing activities that will occupy my mind and stop me from eating, like reading, painting and of course forcing myself to hit the tredmill or eliptical for atleast 30 minutes everynight. I signed up for a greek cooking class and Im looking for a beginners healthy cooking course but I dont think I will find anything until the new year. I am literally forcing myself to become more social and get out of this self inflicted rut that Im in. At the end of november there is a huge industry conference that i am a part of and planning and I was really looking forward to dressing up and looking good...I have to put in the effor in order to make it happen. Anyways sorry for the rant, hope your all doing well and thanks for the support.

Nadia

Hey Guys,

Last week I kind of getting depressed about not losing more weight, like i went through so much pain and was hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel but now I am realizing that this isnt a miracle and will still need work. Dr. Leung's office called me today and rescheduled my first fill from the 9th to the 12th which is kind of annoying because I wanted to get my first fill over with. I have been having pureed foods even tho he said not to but everything has been going down fine, no pain and no gas or anything so I am hoping I am healing properly. I still have that open incising on my tummy tho, it is healing very slowly and I have gone from having a gauze on it to just having a bandaid on it. I have started to write down and keep track of everything i eat on a note pad and then inputting it onto weightwatchers online. I keep telling myself that the more I try to control my intake the happier I will become. I have also begun doing activities that will occupy my mind and stop me from eating, like reading, painting and of course forcing myself to hit the tredmill or eliptical for atleast 30 minutes everynight. I signed up for a greek cooking class and Im looking for a beginners healthy cooking course but I dont think I will find anything until the new year. I am literally forcing myself to become more social and get out of this self inflicted rut that Im in. At the end of november there is a huge industry conference that i am a part of and planning and I was really looking forward to dressing up and looking good...I have to put in the effor in order to make it happen. Anyways sorry for the rant, hope your all doing well and thanks for the support.

Nadia

Nadia, you don't have to apologize to anyone for writing down what you are going through. We have and are going through many trials and tribulations on our journey. Sometimes, for lack of support groups the website is the only way to get support. It sounds to me that you now have a plan of action and are well on your way to a balanced weight loss program with the band as a tool to help you stay on pace. Don't overdo it though. No pain, no gain does not apply anymore. It is a myth. Pace yourself within your plan and you will succeed. There will be ups and downs, but if you remain focused on your ultimate goal you will succeed. Good luck.

Hey Guys,

I just had my first fill this morning. I panicked when I saw the needle inside of my stomach and he made me drink three sips of Water and asked if I felt anything. At first I did but then as he put more and more I couldn't feel any trouble with the water going down. What if he did it wrong? What if he missed the port and there is still nothing in my band, would i know? Is that possible? How is it supposed to feel? He put 6cc's! Is that a lot? At the meeting everyone said that its normal for there to be 3 cc's or 4 but 6?! What do I do? Is this normal?

Hey Guys,

I just had my first fill this morning. I panicked when I saw the needle inside of my stomach and he made me drink three sips of Water and asked if I felt anything. At first I did but then as he put more and more I couldn't feel any trouble with the water going down. What if he did it wrong? What if he missed the port and there is still nothing in my band, would i know? Is that possible? How is it supposed to feel? He put 6cc's! Is that a lot? At the meeting everyone said that its normal for there to be 3 cc's or 4 but 6?! What do I do? Is this normal?

stop worrying, already. Just relax. If the water is going down, then you are OK. It is when the water does not go down that you have a problem and some fill should be removed. I had a fill for 2 weeks before anything happened. Then nothing would go down. I had to have half of it removed. I don't know why it can take a few days to work, maybe the stomach reacts to being restricted, all I know is just relax and follow the rules. Remember to take small bites, chew your food and above all learn quickly the signals for the pouch being full. That is usually one of a pressure feeling, hiccups, pain, sneezing. Whatever your signal is push away from the table and don't give in to finishing the final bite. It has been a long hard road for me to push away but I can tell you if you don't you will be vomiting which is frowned upon but does occur. Especially to new bandsters but don't push your luck.

Edited by Doddie63
typo

That's great advice, Doddie. I'm taking notes for when I get to this stage. But I have to say I understand why Nadia is panicking a little. She's getting no or little support or instructions from her doctor, (Dr. Leung?) and this forum seems to be the only place for her to vent. Thank goodness for you, canadagirl, and the other veterans out there who help us get through this! I hope to meet you at the next support group meeting....speaking of, is it next week?

Lyn

Edited by yosemite
add

That's great advice, Doddie. I'm taking notes for when I get to this stage. But I have to say I understand why Nadia is panicking a little. She's getting no or little support or instructions from her doctor, (Dr. Leung?) and this forum seems to be the only place for her to vent. Thank goodness for you, canadagirl, and the other veterans out there who help us get through this! I hope to meet you at the next support group meeting....speaking of, is it next week?

Lyn

This is a problem with surgeons that sell the band but do not have a support program in place. This is an example of why I am always preaching check the aftercare. Most surgeons are competent but don't want the aftercare other than fills and other clinics will not do fills for other than their patients. Most of us need more, thus our support group was formed by Patricia and her friend, I came as the 3rd member. I am continually on this site to try to help as much as I can, but I too need support. My support I get by giving information to newbies. The information I give reinforces or renews my practices. Some people love him but others are devastated.

The support group always meets every third Wednesday of the month. Patricia sends out electronic reminders as long as she has your email. Hope to meet you as well.

Hi Nadia :thumbup:

Like Doddie said, don't panic !! Sometimes a fill can take days to kick in and until they do you may not feel anything different. Like we discussed, fills and feelings of 'tightness' vary from person to person. Some people only need 1 or 2 cc's...others need 7 or 8. I've read of people who lose all the weight with no fill....and others who fill completely and have no restriction (extremely rare!!) Just keep following the proper eating plan, get some exercise, even just walking.....and relax :drool: This can be a long process and often takes more than 1 fill.

I'm glad to see that you got your date for surgery Lyn....it will come quickly !!! The meeting is next Wednesday and I'll be coming down early to hopefully get started on some Christmas shopping....ugh :tt2: I'll be there by 6.30ish, hopefully I'll see you there.

And I missed you last month Doddie....I'm hoping that you'll be joining us this time around. Hope all is well !!!

Take care everyone !!

Patricia

Hi Nadia :thumbup:

Like Doddie said, don't panic !! Sometimes a fill can take days to kick in and until they do you may not feel anything different. Like we discussed, fills and feelings of 'tightness' vary from person to person. Some people only need 1 or 2 cc's...others need 7 or 8. I've read of people who lose all the weight with no fill....and others who fill completely and have no restriction (extremely rare!!) Just keep following the proper eating plan, get some exercise, even just walking.....and relax :drool: This can be a long process and often takes more than 1 fill.

I'm glad to see that you got your date for surgery Lyn....it will come quickly !!! The meeting is next Wednesday and I'll be coming down early to hopefully get started on some Christmas shopping....ugh :tt2: I'll be there by 6.30ish, hopefully I'll see you there.

And I missed you last month Doddie....I'm hoping that you'll be joining us this time around. Hope all is well !!!

Take care everyone !!

Patricia

I am planning to be there. Things are at a stand still for me as far as weight loss goes. Medications are being tinkered with causing Water retention as well as the caloric count has increased from 14-15 hundred to 16 to 17 hundred. However, the last few weeks I am back on track and hoping the weight will start downwards again.

See you on the 18th

Quick note...

This coming Wednesday is our monthly meeting at Lion's Gate Hospital in North Vancouver.

Everyone is welcome to join us....whether you are just looking into banding or have been banded for years. Feel free to bring any friends or family that may have questions.

As always I should be there around 6.30....hope to see you all there.

Patricia

Hi everyone,

I really wanted to come yesterday but I had to drive my brother to Seattle. I am finding that I can still eat a lot after my first fill, any tips on how to limit the amount I eat? I try not to overeat but I always do and then I get discouraged because I feel like I ate way too many calories in a day to lose weight. I have been excercising but I still wish I didn't eat as much as I do. Should I go back and get it filled more?

I hope the meeting went well, any interesting discussions?

Nadia

Hi Nadia,

I was banded in December 07 by Dr. Leung and it does get frustrating. However, if you feel that you can still eat too much, then you should go back and get a bigger fill. I always went back to get more fill as I had the same problem you are experiencing. I am now at 12 cc in a 10 cc band but I am sure there is still room. As I have said numerous times, the band is not a miracle, you still have to have a lot of willpower and determination to lose weight as a lot of bad foods go down really well. I would definitely go back for another fill. You need to have a thick skin with Dr. Leung and just block out the lectures, ha,ha.

Cheers,

Gerdi

Edited by Uli

Hi Nadia,

I was banded in December 07 by Dr. Leung and it does get frustrating. However, if you feel that you can still eat too much, then you should go back and get a bigger fill. I always went back to get more fill as I had the same problem you are experiencing. I am now at 12 cc in a 10 cc band but I am sure there is still room. As I have said numerous times, the band is not a miracle, you still have to have a lot of willpower and determination to lose weight as a lot of bad foods go down really well. I would definitely go back for another fill. You need to have a thick skin with Dr. Leung and just block out the lectures, ha,ha.

Cheers,

Gerdi

I think most of us have had three or more fills before feeling there is good restriction so I would go back. However, do your homework before going to see Dr. Leung. What are your choices when you eat and are you eating 5 to 6 mini meals a day. For instance, boiled egg or Protein Drink for Breakfast, Hard Protein such as shrimp and salad at lunch, some form of protein snack at 3:00 and then dinner time hard protein such as chicken, beef whatever. Eating mini meals allows you to feel full all the time. Waiting long periods of time from breakfast to lunch to dinner allows your energy levels to go down so you need to "stoke the furnace more frequently". Hopefully Dr. Leung's staff have some sample meals for you.

Hi all such good info... i am happy to here that patricia lives up here in Pemberton.. Would like to attend the support group and possibly car pool... Sometimes hard to get away with six kids... I will become an official bandster on December 2, I am on the liquid diet right now and am starving... Trying to think positive and tell myself I am not but my blood sugars cant lie.. Off to have a cup of veggies then off to read...

Thanks for the advice.

To be honest with you I havent been having much Protein. I havent had trouble shoving anything down my throat. I mean I can't binge to the degree that I could before but I am still eating way more than I should. Do you get fuller off of protein? I have been travelling a lot recently because of work and next week I am at a conference from tuesday to friday so I will be eating out mostly. Due to religious reasons I can't eat regular meat, it has to be halal (kosher) so its not like I can go and eat chicken breast wherever I am. My office recieves complimentary dairy products from dairyland every wednesday and the eggnog cartons have begun to show up, instead of milk or cream I have been adding eggnog to my coffee. Every night I tell myself that I will control myself the following day and I am fine for the most part when I am at work but then I overeat at dinner. I have spoken to the other surgeon Rick and he will see me as a patient but I first have to get a referal from my family doctor and I couldnt get an appointment until next friday. I get so discouraged when i get on the scale and dont see any change, its like all the pain for nothing. Anyways, today is another day right? I think I need to pull out my george foreman grill and make some chicken breast.

Nadia

Thanks for the advice.

To be honest with you I havent been having much Protein. I havent had trouble shoving anything down my throat. I mean I can't binge to the degree that I could before but I am still eating way more than I should. Do you get fuller off of protein? I have been travelling a lot recently because of work and next week I am at a conference from tuesday to friday so I will be eating out mostly. Due to religious reasons I can't eat regular meat, it has to be halal (kosher) so its not like I can go and eat chicken breast wherever I am. My office recieves complimentary dairy products from dairyland every wednesday and the eggnog cartons have begun to show up, instead of milk or cream I have been adding eggnog to my coffee. Every night I tell myself that I will control myself the following day and I am fine for the most part when I am at work but then I overeat at dinner. I have spoken to the other surgeon Rick and he will see me as a patient but I first have to get a referal from my family doctor and I couldnt get an appointment until next friday. I get so discouraged when i get on the scale and dont see any change, its like all the pain for nothing. Anyways, today is another day right? I think I need to pull out my george foreman grill and make some chicken breast.

Nadia

Just a thought, could you take Kosher meat to work with you? As for eggnog, take a Protein Shake in a thermos and when the egg nog comes out bring out the shake.< /p>

As I understand it, carbs turn to sugar and sugar starts the engine, protein is the long burning fuel. Hard protein stays in the pouch longer thus the feeling of full. Until you can get professional help, try outsmarting yourself.

For instance, I found my weak spot is the 3:00 afternoon break so at noon I have a protein shake along with 4 oz of shrimp. At the 3:00 break,I have tea with yogurt which keeps me until dinnertime.

I haven't controlled the issues I have with chewing or grazing when alone, but I am the most successful when I try to outsmart myself.

Take care