Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vancouver Area Bandsters

Congrats to our new bandsters !!!:smile:

Timmers, I was banded at NWWLS as well and my story is very similar to yours. I had never dealt with any kind of private medical system and it amazed me how comfortable they make you (warm blankes and foot massage), how much time they take to talk to you and how caring they all were. It made me feel so much more relaxed when I could see them all walking around calmly, smiling and confident. It was great....

As for the hotel....they used to give a gift basket to NWWLS patients after surgery, so if you don't get one in your room, ask before you check-out... it's got things like drinks and stuff. Was useful...and a nice touch :)

Walk as much as you can, I even had my hubby pull into the rest areas on the side of the highway so I could stretch for a few minutes. Take your pain meds as needed and you'll find it will improve greatly over the next few days....within a week I was off everything (including tylenol) and felt pretty darn good.

One last thing...I was thinking about support meetings for you. I know it's a long way out of the way for you, but NWWLS offers a day time meeting once a month. Maybe you could schedule your first couple of fills for support days and and kill 2 birds with 1 stone...as it were. I have done a few meetings down there over the years and its great because you can actually talk to Jessie if you need some smartening up, or to Linda if you're having some mind issues...it's nice that they offer different areas of support all at 1 meeting. Just a thought....

Take care everyone !!!

And yes, the next meeting is Oct. 21st !!! I'll post again before then to remind everyone !!!

Patricia

Welcome to bandland. Your journey has just begun to a much healthier, happier life. Glad your surgery went well, now don't rush. Let yourself heal well. You may even gain weight over the next month but don't worry once you start your fills, you will understand about restriction. Keep in touch and don't be afraid to ask any questions. someone will have an answer.

I had my surgery yesterday and they admittd me to the hospital. The surgery took 4 hours because my liver is twice the size it should be so they put two extra holes just to get to my stomach. I'm in so much pain and have soo much gas. Has this ever happened to anyone

Congrats on your banding nadsltd :thumbup: Sorry to hear that you're in so much discomfort but it should start improving within the next day or 2.

As for gas...it depends on what you mean. When you have this type of surgery they actually fill your abdominal/chest cavity with air to lift and sepreate your organs and give thenselves room to work. They try to 'suck' all this out after surgery but they almost never get it all, and what is left can cause some pain, usually felt high in the chest, back and shoulders. Taking some kind of anti-gas medication almost never relieves this type of gas. I found the best thing for me was to sit with a heating pad, either leaning back against it or holding it over my shoulder and upper chest, depending on where it hurt at the time.

If you actually have gas that is causing you stomach/intestinal grief (burping/farting) then something like Gas-X may help. I didn't notice this type of gas after my surgery so never bothered with it.

~Both~ types of gas will improve with mobility....so walk as much as you can handle as often as you can. I stayed in a hotel the night of my surgery and I walked the hallways every hour I was awake....and I was up 2 or 3 times thru the night, each time I went out and walked the length of the hall. I'm sure I looked great...in my nightgown, hunched over holding my belly :)

I had 5 incisions which I think is pretty standard, I know of people who have had more and less, it all depends on what the surgeons needs to do at the time. One of the regular gals at our meeting ended up being completely opened up...she had probably an 8 or 10" insicion the full length of her tummy. So it does happen to some...

I know its hard to see the positive side right now...but think ahead a little bit. It won't actually take long before you're up and moving more comfortably. And soon enough you will start losing the weight and it will all be worth it !!!

Sending healing thoughts your way....

Patricia

Edited by canadagirl33

Maybe try to lay as flat as you can comfortably. Think of your torso like a carpenter's level....and the bubble going to the top when tipped. Air will rise to the top and the residual gas used for inflation during the procedure will press on the Phrenic nerve ( that one goes to the diagphram area) and the pain is felt in the shoulder area ( especially left side)

Walking around helps the body absorb the gas as well.

The heating pad you are using is common treatment as well!!

Good luck and keep our chin up.

Rhonda

I am so sorry you are having so much pain. You said your liver was twice the normal size. If this pain persists after the home remedies have been tried, please contact your surgeon ASAP. I don't wish to unduely alarm you, but there are issues such as the liver being accidently damaged. One of our bandster experienced the liver being damaged. Very unusual, but worth checking out.

Maybe try to lay as flat as you can comfortably. Think of your torso like a carpenter's level....and the bubble going to the top when tipped. Air will rise to the top and the residual gas used for inflation during the procedure will press on the Phrenic nerve ( that one goes to the diagphram area) and the pain is felt in the shoulder area ( especially left side)

Walking around helps the body absorb the gas as well.

The heating pad you are using is common treatment as well!!

Good luck and keep our chin up.

Rhonda

I am so sorry you are having so much pain. You said your liver was twice the normal size. If this pain persists after the home remedies have been tried, please contact your surgeon ASAP. I don't wish to unduely alarm you, but there are issues such as the liver being accidently damaged. One of our bandster experienced the liver being damaged. Very unusual, but worth checking out.

hey guys pain wise I do feel a little better. I was prescribed two T3s every 6-8 hours but I have only been taking one every 6 hours. I feel super gassy still and my tummy is making so much noise. I finally had a bowl movement and that helped a little. I'm so sick of drinking things. Even tho I feel a little hungry I'm tired of drinking things. My surgeon said clear fluids for a month which seems impossible! I'm getting a litttle frustrated and depressed. My surgeon also said that I can shower today but my mom had been sponge bathing me and washing my hair in the sink. Would it be better to continue that or take a full shower. So far all I can have is apple juice, broth and Water. I tried white grape juice but I find it too sweet. I have also had two Popsicles and some Jello. Is there anything else I can have? This frustration is normal right. I keep breathing and walking around. How active should I be? Like grocery shopping active? Help!

1. Yes take a shower. Put on new bandages and you will feel so much better.

2. Do you have a blender or a magic bullet. You can make tons of receipts. liquid is Liquid. For instance squash Soup and throw in a few Beans. Puree and you have a lovely soup high in Protein. Make smoothies - fruit with skim milk and ice. You can have a feast of liquids. I went 30 days on liquids and loved all sorts of warm Soups. If you check the internet, you will find websites giving many liquid meals.

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Make your self get up and move and don't be afraid of the band. It takes a bit getting used but in the end, you will come to enjoy your journey.

As for exercise take you don't have to lift weights or run around the gym, but you should go for long walks, increasing your speed as you feel more fit. The more you exercise the better you will feel. Your band is secure but you must not eat solid food until the swelling of the stomach goes down and the scar tissue surrounds the band. Follow your surgeons orders but don't be afraid, you will heal. Frankly just be your normal self, don't baby yourself but also don't overdo it. Keep posting for support.

If you surgeon said "clear fluids" then boil a chicken and make chicken broth. You can have beef broth. Check with a nutrionist for liquid vitamins and other types of broth.

Strange he said Clear Liquids for a month and not liquids. Any reason why do you know.

hey guys pain wise I do feel a little better. I was prescribed two T3s every 6-8 hours but I have only been taking one every 6 hours. I feel super gassy still and my tummy is making so much noise. I finally had a bowl movement and that helped a little. I'm so sick of drinking things. Even tho I feel a little hungry I'm tired of drinking things. My surgeon said clear fluids for a month which seems impossible! I'm getting a litttle frustrated and depressed. My surgeon also said that I can shower today but my mom had been sponge bathing me and washing my hair in the sink. Would it be better to continue that or take a full shower. So far all I can have is apple juice, broth and Water. I tried white grape juice but I find it too sweet. I have also had two Popsicles and some Jello. Is there anything else I can have? This frustration is normal right. I keep breathing and walking around. How active should I be? Like grocery shopping active? Help!

Edited by Doddie63
add on

Doddie... Her surgeon is Dr. Leung and his patients always do a full month of clear liquids.

Sorry nadsltd, no puree'd food for you yet. As rough as this will be, tell yourself it is a good thing. The more you tell yourself you're 'starving' the worse it will become. If you feeel hunger, sip things slowly. I always found that warm and hot liquids made me feel more satisfied. Try some different flavored herbal teas, some broths....there are some really good chicken and beef ones available. In fact I found a really good veggie broth when I was doing liquids, so look around.

This time is all about healing your stomach and making sure your band is situated properly as you heal. I had a shower on day 3 and it made me feel wayyyy better.

Take it a day at a time, even an hour at a time....this is the first part of a very long journey and you can be successful !!!

All the best,

Patricia

Patricia I realized that as my last paragraph indicates. However, if this individual is having a difficult time with staying on clear broth, it is better to consult with her surgeon rather than give in and break the rules. I am aware of some of Dr. Leung's patients being allowed pureed foods when it became too difficult for them. Hopefully by posting and coming to our meetings things will become a bit easier.

Doddie... Her surgeon is Dr. Leung and his patients always do a full month of clear liquids.

Sorry nadsltd, no puree'd food for you yet. As rough as this will be, tell yourself it is a good thing. The more you tell yourself you're 'starving' the worse it will become. If you feeel hunger, sip things slowly. I always found that warm and hot liquids made me feel more satisfied. Try some different flavored herbal teas, some broths....there are some really good chicken and beef ones available. In fact I found a really good veggie broth when I was doing liquids, so look around.

This time is all about healing your stomach and making sure your band is situated properly as you heal. I had a shower on day 3 and it made me feel wayyyy better.

Take it a day at a time, even an hour at a time....this is the first part of a very long journey and you can be successful !!!

All the best,

Patricia

Hi everyone. I've been reading through pages of posts and soaking up all the info. Patricia, I'm already on your email list for the support group but haven't been able to attend. However, I plan on coming to the next one. Been looking into banding for the last few months & have attended info sessions of NWWLC and False Creek Surgical Ctr with Rhonda. Still a little nervous but moving ahead I think. Both clinics seem excellent but opting for the False Crk because of the aftercare. Looking forward to meeting you all on Oct 21st!

Edited by yosemite
replied to old post

Hi everyone. I've been reading through pages of posts and soaking up all the info. Patricia, I'm already on your email list for the support group but haven't been able to attend. However, I plan on coming to the next one. Been looking into banding for the last few months & have attended info sessions of NWWLC and False Creek Surgical Ctr with Rhonda. Still a little nervous but moving ahead I think. Both clinics seem excellent but opting for the False Crk because of the aftercare. Looking forward to meeting you all on Oct 21st!

I had my surgery a week ago and last night I started to have a terrible pain on the left side of my waste. It feels like a cramp but it's not going away. Has anyone else felt this? It hurts a lot and I'm not sure what to do. I tried to come off my T3's but then this pain started. It right on the side of my waste and it hurts when I inhale just like a cramp after u have run too hard. Help!

Contact your clinic ASAP and ask them. Pain is nothing to be ignored. The pain could be associated with any number of things, cramps, appendix, gas. If your clinic is not available go to emergency. Left side could mean appendix.

I had my surgery a week ago and last night I started to have a terrible pain on the left side of my waste. It feels like a cramp but it's not going away. Has anyone else felt this? It hurts a lot and I'm not sure what to do. I tried to come off my T3's but then this pain started. It right on the side of my waste and it hurts when I inhale just like a cramp after u have run too hard. Help!

Contact your clinic ASAP and ask them. Pain is nothing to be ignored. The pain could be associated with any number of things, cramps, appendix, gas. If your clinic is not available go to emergency. Left side could mean appendix.

Hey guys after I took a hot shower it went away a bit. Yesterday was my first day walking outside my house. I went to save on and walked around more than any other day. My mom thinks it's a muscle pain or because of sitting too much. Dr. Leung and the dietician have different opinions on what my pre-fill diet should be. Dr. Leung said clear calorie free and sugar free but does that mean my body can't handle skim milk and stuff? I'm confused. I'm getting out of the house today and going to the mall with my mom. What if I did half wat dr. Leung says and half the dietician?

I think you had better revisit your doctors office and get this cleared up once and for all. Dr. Leung has given you his direction to follow an all clear diet but your dietician has given you some other type of diet to follow. If it was me, I would follow Dr. Leung's instructions because from what I have heard, he brooks no nonense with people who don't follow his instructions. He knows what is best for you so go and see him. Good luck.

Hey guys after I took a hot shower it went away a bit. Yesterday was my first day walking outside my house. I went to save on and walked around more than any other day. My mom thinks it's a muscle pain or because of sitting too much. Dr. Leung and the dietician have different opinions on what my pre-fill diet should be. Dr. Leung said clear calorie free and sugar free but does that mean my body can't handle skim milk and stuff? I'm confused. I'm getting out of the house today and going to the mall with my mom. What if I did half wat dr. Leung says and half the dietician?

Hey guys,

So two of my eight incisions are infected but my doctor gave me some antibiotic cream. Where is the meeting on the 21st? What time?