Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of surgery?

This is a question for all you veterans out there. I'm about 6-8 weeks away from my surgery (should get my date this week!). One problem I'm having, however, is that I work myself into an absolute panic at the very thought of having surgery. Did anyone else experience the same?

Honestly, I would be much better off it were tomorrow morning. I'm a "get it over with" kind of guy. Having weeks to think about though really concerns me. It's more than "there are some risks associated with this procedure", but "I'm going to sleep and never getting up" kind of panic. The only time I was ever under for any procedure was when I was 4 to have my tonsils out. I have embraced my need for this procedure, and it will hopefully save me from further and more serious surgery down the road. It's not a problem of understanding the rationale behind it, but overcoming my fear. I don't want to invest thousands of dollars, and then bolt at the last minute.

Help?!

Hang in there Barbarosa! You are just facing the reality of a lifetime commitment -- kind of like feeling those crazy feelings before getting married from what I'm told... you will be fine. We will be praying for you and cheering you on. You've got a good doctor/surgeon, you've been through all the pre-op surgery work-up to make sure you are medically okay to go through the surgery, its generally done laparascopic so that drastically lowers the risk and just remember, the complications of lapband surgery are drastically lower than RNY at the very least. That is not to say, surgery is still surgery and all surgery has risk so do everything they tell you to do with pre-op diet to shrink the liver, absolutely no food or liquids after midnight the day before surgery, etc. Listen to the post-op instructions carefully and do what they say and you'll come through with flying colors.

We find that patients get cold feet a lot, it's pretty normal, so I wouldn't stress over it. What you have to focus on is not the risk of surgery (which is minimal for gastric banding), but the risk of NOT having surgery, which is significant. The risk of doing nothing and facing complications related to obesity down the road doesn't seem as scary, but in reality it is. Good luck, you'll do fine!

Trace W. Curry, M.D.

Medical Director

Center for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, Cincinnati, Ohio

Lap Band Surgery Ohio :: Lap Band Doctor Trace Curry Ohio Trace W. Curry, M.D. Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy, and Gastric Bypass Surgeon :: FAQ's :: Nutrition

513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only. Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!

Hi, Patrick!

I just saw this post. When is your big day and how are you feeling?

I felt the same as you described a couple years ago when I had a total thyroidectomy. If you'd like to talk things through with someone via phone, feel free to send me a private message. For the band surgery, I am taking comfort from the fact that it's only an hour or so in duration. That's not so bad, right?

This is a very positive choice that you are making for your life! I hope that since you posted you've been moving from fear... towards hope and excitement! :) Please let me know what I can do to help!

Thanks Christy! Actually, having spent the day with Dr. Curry's staff doing my nutrition counseling and pre-op testing today, I feel much better. Got to take a look at the pre- and post-op rooms and spent some time with the nurse who will be assisting. A lot less of the unknown, and I know I'm in very capable hands.

Still, "minor surgery" is something someone else has. And I'll see how I do as I get closer to the 24th!

That is great news, Patrick! Yes, 'knowledge is power,' as they say. Having been through my thyroidectomy, I hope that I'll be a lot better prepared for the lap-band surgery.

Some words of advice I will share from my own experience:

1.) I'm pretty sure that the people who work in surgery (pre, OR, and recovery) are especially selected to be some of the kindest, gentlest, and most empathetic souls you will ever meet. :mellow:

2.) You really only need to survive (anxiety-wise) until the Anesthesiologist comes in to meet you. At that point, you should be able to convince him/her to hit you with a nice 'cocktail.' My Anesth. could see that I was freaking you, and he seemed to have a bottomless lab coat pocket full of syringes of all kinds of good things. After he hit me with all of them, he asked, "Are you feeling a little better now?" I responded, "Not really... um... yeah... wait... what did you just ask me?" :thumbup:

3.) Let your Anesthesiologist know that you are concerned about nausea from the anesthesia and ask if he will/can put something in your IV before you wake up as a pre-emptive strike against it. (Or perhaps that is standard operating procedure for abdominal surgery or LB surgery?) My Anesth did that for me but my Mom's did not. Guess who felt fine afterward, and guess who had a little pink basin on her lap all day?) :biggrin:

4.) Going to sleep and then waking up was not scary at all for me. It was kind of cool, actually. I was awake when they wheeled me into the OR, but at some point after I shimmied over to the other gurney, my memory went blank. I don't remember having a mask over my face or anything, and that was something I was very afraid to experience. When I woke up in recovery, it was kind of an interesting sensation (difficult to describe.) The nurses were very kind and encouraging there. I was afraid to try to speak because I didn't figure I'd have much of a voice from the thyroidectomy and/or trach tube, so when the lady in the cubicle next door (total knee replacement) started asking (loudly) for pain meds, I tried to use my arms ("put your hands in the air and wave 'em like you just don't care") to try to get someone's attention. (You know, as if the screaming and yelling wouldn't generate enough attention? Sigh... I was on some good narcotics, apparently.)

Okay, so that's my long-winded "Surgery Tips from Christy" story. We'll all be so eager to hear what your experience is like. You're gonna do great, and you'll be so happy - for so many reasons - when 11/24 arrives!

[PS - I should probably include a disclaimer here that the opinions and experiences expressed here are from one dingbat named Christy and are not intended to replace the advice of your physican... etc, etc, etc. Your own 'mileage' may vary.]

Edited by sailorChristy

Hi, Patrick!

How are you? Are you still scheduled for 11/24? Please let us know how you're doing! And congrats in advance! As a wanna-be with no date set yet, I must admit to being a little envious! :-)

Well, today was the big day, and it was much better than I could have expected. Dr. Curry and his staff were exceptional. I was there at 10am, and they released me by 2pm. I do think that the anesthesiologist must have snuck up and hit me on the back of the head, because I don't remember going down (no, really didn't hit me on the back of my head). One moment I was talking to one of the nurses in the surgery suite, and next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery. Incredible. All in all, this was a great experience. In retrospect, not sure why I was scared.

Thanks to Dr. Curry and his staff, and thanks to everyone here who encouraged, supported and prayed for me coming up to this, especially our Columbus support group!

Congratulations Barbararosa! That is amazing that you were on your way so fast! Best wishes during the Full Liquids stage, then you'll be so "thankful" for mushies!