Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When dou you start shopping clothes?

I have a question about clothing. I started out at size 24, and now I wear 20's and some 18's. The thing is I have been a terrible clothing horse, and now I find myself not looing as tailored and fashionable as I was as a bigger girl.

Should I go on a shopping spree although I am a ways from goal weight or just rough it out. There are some things that I just had to get rid of?

It may sound a little superficial but I'm almost down to nothing.:smile2:

Girl,

Go shopping now. I am having the same issue. I haven't really felt like I have lost a lot of weight. I went from an original high weight of 267, then pre-op was 249 and 238 the day of surgery and I am 219 as of today. WhooHoo:thumbup:. But with that, I want from a tight 22/24 to a size 18 now. Don't get me wrong, I love the weight loss. I really don't see it until I try to put on clothes though. The problem is, I lost my butt. My husband had the lapband too and his pants fall off him, (he never had a but though):bored:. But I am looking like I am wearing a saggy diaper that leaks :smile2:. Hubby thinks it's funny when he said it, but I was like "damn, where did my ass go". So it gave me a reason to go shopping.

Let that be your reward. Go shopping, and make yourself feel better:wink_smile:! Plus, that's the worse thing that you can do to yourself, is continue to dress yourself in large clothes. My doctor even suggested either giving them away or donating the clothes. That way, you will have nothing to wear if you start to gain weight. Think about it, that's how we as big women hid ourselves, we started to buy larger and larger clothes and we eventually began to "fit" into them. Go shopping and have a ball:thumbup:

You Rock!!!

Jen

Buy yourself something nice....but don't spend a lot of money on it....because....they to will get too big for you. I was one of those keeper....i have clothes from size 22 down to about a 12....problem is ....I'm now in a 16 and my 16's are summer clothes....and it is fall and winter is coming fast....so unless i can squeeze into a 14 soon I will have to buy some 16's to get me through the winter. I refuse to wear baggy....diaper looking clothes. I have worked too hard not to look my best. I went to walmart...and i hate buying clothes from walmart...anyway they had Tshirts for 3 bucks....i bought every color...size Large....never thought i'd see that again....anyway...so what if i waste 3 bucks....and they looked nice because they fit. I'm going to buy basic black, brown and blue pants and some sweaters to make it through the winter. I do have some sweaters that i kept but i want to buy something new. I also refuse to buy things that are too small for me....been there done that....I want it to fit...even if i'm growing out of it....I told my husband that this weightloss thing might cost a few bucks...the insurance paid for the band ....but i have to pay for the clothes.....I can't wait to shop in JCrew....susa

Thanks ladies. I'll head to Ross or Target for right now to supplement. Then once I get close to goal I have to find a place to shop, because I'll be don with Lane Bryant. lol.

Do you have any consignment or charity shops nearby?

I have been purchasing a lot of clothes that way. I bought an orly suit for $8.00, and Jones New York jackets for $3.00.

It has been great! Also the smaller you get the more variety available to you at these type of shops.

The people at work think I am rich. Here I am in Jones/Nygard etc etc, paying a lot less, and looking a lot better than in the Walmart Wardrobe!

As I type this I am wearing some old navy jeans that I got for $1.00 at a charity shop.

Remember not to buy too much, because it will be too big in no time

I absolutely cannot wait to shop in j crew, banana republic, and all those great "regular" stores I used to shop in when I was fine. I swear Im looking at catalogs and online stores already!

Go shopping sistergirl! I, too, went from size 24 to 18 and had some phat size 24 clothes. Hated to turn them loose - but I donated them to a local church and "Dress for Success". Now, I am buying 18's and 16's - phat, too. My favorite stores are JC Penney's Outlet and Burlington. Enjoy the shopping spree!

Definately go shopping! You deserve to look great while you are losing!:wink2:

My recipe for a great Capsule Wardrobe - pick 3 colors (i.e. black, white, red), then buy the following:

Main color - buy 4 pieces: jacket, skirt, pant, top

Accent color - buy 3 pieces: jacket, skirt, top

Light color - buy 3 pieces: jacket, pant, top

Mix and match all of the above to create 10 or more outfits. Jackets can be worn when you drop a size, as can tops. Picking pants or skirts with an elastic waist makes them adjustable as well through one or more sizes (depending on the style). Don't spend a LOT for these pieces, because as you drop a couple more sizes, you'll probably replace a lot of these things for better clothes.

When you reach your goal, use the same principle to buy really good clothes, build 2 or 3 capsules for different uses, and away you go! You can build casual capsules, dressy capsules, etc. And you don't have to buy all 10 pieces - you can use the same theory with fewer pieces. You'll have fewer outfits, but the principle is the same.

Have fun shopping ladies! If you want a color diagram of the Capsule Wardrobe, shoot me an email - I'll be glad to send you one. I created them when I was teaching classes and repping Weekender clothes (they are out of business, unfortunately)...:laugh:

i only buy as i need, when i notice my jeans fit loose then ill gio try on the next size down i try to find jeans that streatch so i dont have to buy to soon OR you can go to the good will you be surprise on what you find there and it wont cost you alot but im not gonna lie when tax season comes im buyin me 4 out fits to wear gotta show off every now and then it keeps my spirit up..lol

Ugh I have lost 32lbs and my shirts fit a little big. But I want to buy new clothes but these ones still fit.. they are baggy but not around the waist i can still hold them up..lol well let me know if you have had these issues

Hi SweetMama - I'm originally from Michigan - where are you in the state?

You could always have your clothes taken in at the cleaners if you aren't a sewer or don't know someone who sews. Don't narrow the legs too much or they will emphasize the little tummy you still have left...you can take in the hips a little and they won't seem so baggy.

After you get them tailored once, you usually have to toss them by the second time...they start to look funny if you take them in more than a size or two.

Enjoy your loss and enjoy thinking about the new wardrobe you're going to need! Don't forget your exercise while you are losing to help tone and tighten your new body...

Congrats on your loss so far!:eek:

I am actually looking forward to shopping in my own closet! It has started already. I am wearing clothes that I haven't worn in a year or only wore once. I am such a shopaholic that I have tons of clothes from 12 to 20!

Edited by Apple8<)

Ditto. I went from a 24 to a current size 16 (yay me), but fortunately I had clothes that ranged from a 14 to a 28. Nothing more satisfying than to put on a pair of jeans and have to wear a belt, when 4 months ago I couldn't even get them past my thighs.

Even though my DH tells me my drawers are getting a might droopy. I'm trying to hold off on shopping until I am at least 20lbs from goal.

Ditto. I went from a 24 to a current size 16 (yay me), but fortunately I had clothes that ranged from a 14 to a 28. Nothing more satisfying than to put on a pair of jeans and have to wear a belt, when 4 months ago I couldn't even get them past my thighs.

Even though my DH tells me my drawers are getting a might droopy. I'm trying to hold off on shopping until I am at least 20lbs from goal.

WoW! From 24 to 16 Congratulations. At one point I was holding on to the little clothes, and now I'm holding on to big clothes "just in case". A 14 is my goal size, and I started at 24, so I'm feeling inspired.

WoW! From 24 to 16 Congratulations. At one point I was holding on to the little clothes, and now I'm holding on to big clothes "just in case". A 14 is my goal size, and I started at 24, so I'm feeling inspired.

Thank you. There is no need for you to hold onto those "just in case" clothes. Let them go and believe you will never need them again. This is coming from a true "pack rat". It is so hard for me yo give up things I "might" need one day. But my size 24 - 20 have gone on to a better home, because I know I that chapter of my life is over. Never again to be revisited.