Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting re-banded... this journey is full of surprises

Hey fellow Knockouts! Just a little (more like big) update about what’s been happening with me in the past month or so.

My lapband journey has taken an interesting twist and turn lately that I never would have expected. It turns out that my band has a leak! I’m getting re-banded this coming Wednesday. I never thought that I would be the one with a defective band. It wasn’t even something that I worried about going into the surgery initially, but it happened.

(I apologize that this is post is extremely long!)

Here’s how it all played out:

Some of you might remember my posts about not being sure if I had restriction as I felt like I could eat a considerable amount. However, I had been consistently losing weight because I’ve been strict low-carb (even pre-band) so I couldn’t complain. In retrospect (now that I have absolutely no fill and no restriction), I did have some restriction and it did help with the weight loss, but I hadn’t gotten to my sweet spot yet.

I had a fill in May, which brought me up to 2.4cc in 4cc band. I went back the first week of July and only 2.2cc was there. There was no concern about a leak because such a small amount could have evaporated or the doc couldn’t get all of the saline out. I got a fill to bring me to 2.7cc. It didn’t make much of a difference. Went back 2 weeks later and got a little more for a total of 2.9cc. Still no difference. Went back a week later and got a little more for a total of 3.2cc. (I’m still confused as to why an entire 1cc was added over a small time period and I didn’t feel a difference at all. It wasn’t the leak because my doc made sure that my fill was still in my band before he added the fill each time). After all those visits in July, I was only 3 weeks from the original date of my next fill appointment mid August, so I just waited to go then.

I had an inkling that maybe something was up because I hadn’t felt any difference in restriction, but it was a distant thought. When my doc went to remove the fill before adding more, nothing came out. My doc has never missed my port, but he tried again to confirm that nothing was in my band. So over a 3-week span, I had lost my entire fill of 3.2cc. I was definitely surprised and I wasn’t sure what to say, but I was relatively calm about it. He just said the obvious: that there was a leak somewhere in the band and it needed to be replaced, and that was that. As an experiment, he added 3cc to my band that day and when I went a week later to meet about getting rebanded, less than 1cc was left.

As of right now, we don’t know where the leak/problem is, but I’m having the entire band replaced. Some docs replace only the part of the band that has the problem like the port and tubing, but the way he explained it (and it makes a lot of sense), is that, yes there may be a leak in the port/tubing, but if he just replaces that, it’s possible that there could be a leak in the band itself too and you’re still left with a defective band. Some people have fluoroscopes or contrast tests to find the leak, but my doc said that a leak by the band may not even show up on those tests because it’s surrounded and encased by the scar tissue and the stomach that’s sewn on top of it and that’s why we didn’t bother to do those tests and the entire thing is just being replaced. When I go into surgery, my doc will inject the blue dye to see if he can find the leak, but regardless of where it is, the whole thing is being replaced.

Like I said before, no one plans for this to happen. I’m not sorry at all that I had the surgery in the first place. Having the band for the past 9 months almost has been a great experience and I’m extremely happy with my progress thus far. I’m down 70lbs since surgery and 130lbs in the past year. I’m in great physical shape and I’m healthier than ever and I couldn’t have done it without the band. I still managed to lose weight this summer even without restriction, which I credit to my low-carb eating and exercise. I'm not excited to go through the whole thing again, but it’s completely worth it. Now I can actually answer the question "would you do it again?" honestly and say, "not only would I, but I am doing it again!"

My doc reassured me that my recovery time would be quicker because the stomach is already sewn into place and the scar tissue is formed and there’s a spot for the port already made. All he has to do is remove the old band and slip the new one in. Obviously there will still be pain from the incisions and the surgery itself, but overall I’m optimistic that it won’t be too bad.

When actually faced with deciding to have surgery again, I had to really think it through and consider my options. I considered not getting rebanded because I had done so well until now even without decent restriction, but I quickly came to the conclusion that that would not be the best option. As much as I had been successful, maintenance of the weight loss is key and that’s what the band is there for along the way and at goal. Additionally, the less we have to lose, the harder it gets to lose those last pounds and again, the band and restriction is what will help us get there. And I can’t even tell you how clear this is to me because I have absolutely no restriction right now. I can eat and eat and eat and eat like I did pre-band and I don’t like it at all!

I’m looking forward to being over and done with my surgery and getting back to my normal routine. I’m looking forward to actually getting to my sweet spot and reaching my goal weight. I was aiming to reach my first goal weight of 160lb by my 1 year bandiversary (the original one that is), which I think would have been feasible, and I’m still aiming for that even with being rebanded.

I have tried to remain as positive as possible about the whole situation. In general, I try to just take things as they come and deal with them, and I think I’ve been pretty successful doing that. Like anything in life, in a few months it won’t be such a big thing, it’ll just be another part of “life”. I pray that the surgery will go smoothly and that there won't be any complications.

I will hopefully give you guys an update as soon as I am up to it after surgery to let you know how things went!

Thanks for reading my extremely long post! Thank you in advance for your support as I know I can count on it here at LBT! I have been so busy as I’m a full time college student and I haven’t had a chance to post much, but I have read your updates and I see your progress pics. Keep up the great work everyone!

I am so sorry to hear about your complications, but WOW, your attitude is amazing. I wish you the best of luck, and with that attitude, your possibilities are endless!!

hi, i too have a leak - which is a drag, but i'm hoping to avoid additional surgery, by, instead getting more frequent (weekly) fills. I've lost 80 pounds (268 to 188) and, as i'm 64, i'd prefer to avoid more surgery. i'm also finding that when i get a (tight) fill, it exacebates my acid reflux. wish me luck.

dogtooth

It does sound like it has been a strange journey. You are doing absolutely wonderful and have such a great attitude. Not to mention you are getting very close to goal as well. This will all pass quickly and I am happy there is a good solution for you to rectifying the leak.

Hey all! I'm back from from getting re-banded. The surgery went as planned and I'm at home recovering. I feel better than I did the first time because the surgery was less invasive, but I'm definitely in pain, but the medicine is helping with it. Feeling better each day!

Hi! I'm visiting from your neighboring February forum. :cool2: I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well. You have an amazing attitude and with that you will go a long way.

I'm curious about the post-op diet. Do you have to do all the same stages again? Are they any shorter this time because of the scar tissue already in place?

I love my band and would have it replaced in a heartbeat if I had to. It has changed my life, or rather it has helped me to change my life.

Glad to hear things are back in place for you. Your journey and attitude has been awesome it sounds like. I too, am having a few difficulties. I was doing great until about a month ago when I started throwing up everything I took in. I could not even hold tiny sips of Water down, being stubborn and hard headed I wouldn't tell anyone and went on like this for over 2 weeks. When I finally gave in to my husband I was totally dehydraded and almost in critical status. They immediately put me in the hospital and long story short, I had a kink in my tubing which somehow was making my esphogus spastic??? I had to have surgery and had the port relocated, not sure if I actually got a new one or not? Then after my two week recovery, I went in last week for my first fill. He put 5cc in my 10 cc band. I have absolutely no restriction??? Prior to this I had very good restriction at 5cc, so I am really confused. Does anyone have any input or ideas? I have gained about 7 lbs back in the past month from over indulging. I am ashamed of myself, but I literally needed to build myself back up. I was so sick. I was banded Jan 28th and have lost 60lbs, so I am very excited and would do it all over again, but need to get back on track!!!

Hi! I'm visiting from your neighboring February forum. :(

I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well. You have an amazing attitude and with that you will go a long way.

I'm curious about the post-op diet. Do you have to do all the same stages again? Are they any shorter this time because of the scar tissue already in place?

I love my band and would have it replaced in a heartbeat if I had to. It has changed my life, or rather it has helped me to change my life.

Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the Jan. 08 board.

First I want to commend you on your weight loss so far! I see your posts around here a lot and I check in on your blog once in a while and you're doing amazingly so kudos to you!

I was also curious about the post-op diet and I wanted to find out from others who had their entire band replaced, but I haven't found many around here on LBT. I have my one week check-up with my dr. tomorrow, so I will have more details about it tomorrow.

Before surgery my doc said that I would be able to progress more quickly from liquids to solids because like you said, all the scar tissue is in place and there isn't much healing that the stomach has to do. But there is swelling from having surgery and the stomach being aggrivated from having the old band removed and the new one put in.

My doc doesn't differentiate between clear and full liquids, but I stayed with Clear Liquids til 3 days post op (as opposed to 4 last time). I did liquids the first 4 days and then I added in pureed baby food for the last few days because I felt like I could handle it. Babyfood is part of the week 2 post-op diet, but I wouldn't add anything else from the week 2 diet. I can definitely tell a big difference between this surgery and the first in regards to general recovery, but also in tolerance of the amount of liquids. 2 days after surgery I was drinking well over 60 ounces, whereas it took me like 4 days last time to come near 60oz. The first time I had a Protein shake when I was banded the first time, it took me 1/2 hr to sip 4 oz, but this time I could drink the entire 11 oz within 10 min.

I'm going to stick with his regular Week 2 post op-diet, which is anything pureed to babyfood consistency, but I'll see what he says. I have a feeling I will probably be able to move to soft foods by the end of week 2. I'll also just see how I feel too and listen to my body and how my stomach/band reacts

I agree that the band has been a tremendous help and I am happy that I had mine replaced because I don't think I could make it without it!

Glad to hear things are back in place for you. Your journey and attitude has been awesome it sounds like. I too, am having a few difficulties. I was doing great until about a month ago when I started throwing up everything I took in. I could not even hold tiny sips of Water down, being stubborn and hard headed I wouldn't tell anyone and went on like this for over 2 weeks. When I finally gave in to my husband I was totally dehydraded and almost in critical status. They immediately put me in the hospital and long story short, I had a kink in my tubing which somehow was making my esphogus spastic??? I had to have surgery and had the port relocated, not sure if I actually got a new one or not? Then after my two week recovery, I went in last week for my first fill. He put 5cc in my 10 cc band. I have absolutely no restriction??? Prior to this I had very good restriction at 5cc, so I am really confused. Does anyone have any input or ideas? I have gained about 7 lbs back in the past month from over indulging. I am ashamed of myself, but I literally needed to build myself back up. I was so sick. I was banded Jan 28th and have lost 60lbs, so I am very excited and would do it all over again, but need to get back on track!!!

Genesis,

Sorry to hear about your previous issue and your current issue. Congratulations on your weight loss so far! Are you going back to your dr. soon for a fill? Maybe make an appoinment and see if your 5cc is still in your band, that will be the way to find out if you have a leak. Or just maybe your optimum fill level has changed and you need more to get the right restriction now. Good luck and I hope everything works out!

Redtulip,

Thanks for the kind words. You've had amazing weight loss as well. And just 20 pounds to go? Wow. That must feel amazing. Good luck with the rest of your healing process.

thank you so much for the encouragement. i've actually lost an additional eight pounds (i'm now down to 180) - but it's tough. when the band is tight after a fill i can eat almost nothing and then when the leak accelerates, my appetite comes back and can become ravenous at times. i'm trying to resort to self-discipline at those times, but as we all know, that can be tough. But, i weigh less now than i have for more than 35 years - so there's an incentive to go down the little further i need to. thanks again.

dogtooth

Melissa,

I had my follow up appt. today and my dr. told me that he did have to sew my stomach up over the new band in one small place, like one stitch or something. So the stomach does have a little bit of healing to do. In regards to the post-op diet, he said to just see how I tolerate things and just be cautious. His main concern is that I don't get stuck and put stress on my stomach from pbing.

I have been away from the boards for a few weeks, with the financial market work has been stressful and we had layoffs, and all sorts of problems. Thankfully I still have a job.

I am glad that your problem was discovered and your doctor was so caring and honest with you and did the job great. Its so nice to hear how compassionate doctors can be. Good luck getting to your goal now with the new band.

I have been having a rough week, I got a really small fill, bringing me to 6.4cc's, and things were fine for 10 days after. Last Saturday, I ate 4 raviolis for dinner, just the insides, not the Pasta, and went out for the evening, had 3 mixed drinks over 4 hours and got drunk, really, really drunk. The dry heaving started at 3:00am and didn't stop until around 7:30am. So, during the day, just sipped liquids, and tried to eat shredded pork for dinner and up it came. Dry heaved for an additional few hours.

On Monday, I was in more pain than I could remember from the surgery. Called my doctors office 3 times and did not get a call back. (Thats why I commented on how cool your doctor sounds) Finally emailed the one person there, whose email address I had. I really thought I did something to the band. This person explained to me that what I was feeling was muscles not damage to the band. He emailed that if I couldn't swallow my own saliva or sip Water, then there might be a problem with the band. He said that the dry heaving caused my stomach to swell around the band and it gets tighter. I had to stay on Clear Liquids.

By Wednesday, I was feeling much better, but now have a raging head cold, and still on Clear Liquids, I have actually gained two pounds.

Gaining the weight would have set me off a few months ago, but now I understand the nature of weight loss. You have to eat healthy and in moderation to lose weight. Since I have been sick, I haven't been eating healthy, eating Soup all the time.

Its just so weird that several January people have had some problem or other in the 9th month after surgery, I wonder if that is typical of lap band surgery?

Edited by Chrisann