Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What have you done so far?

I'll be banded on Oct 29th and I want to get started now on getting healthier! SO, my question is what all have you guys already started?

* taking Vitamins?

* before pictures?

* measurements?

* getting your Protein supplements?

* exercising?

* drinking lots of Water?

What can I do now??? I'm starting a high protein/low carb diet now and will allow myself one splurge meal a week up until the pre-op diet begins. Have you all read any good books? I want to be more successful at this than I've ever been before! I want to prove those who have been less than supportive in the past wrong and especially to myself!! I want to rid myself of self-doubt and negative thoughts.

C'mon Smashing Pumpkins, what can we do to jump start our journey??

Is it silly to take before pics/measurements before I have the surgery? Kinda like I'm counting the weight I'm losing now on my ticker... should I be waiting until after I'm banded to be counting? I look at it as a pound gone is a pound gone, same with inches.... what do y'all think?? Should I go ahead and do my pics/measurements?

Hey Bridgette. I am 11 days away from surgery, so I am already on my preop diet, but I did five weeks on my own first so that I could get my body a bit healthier.

I ordered samples from Vitalady so I have my choice of Protein shakes during liquid stage. I am anal, so I already cooked and froze most of my lunch/dinner for mushy stage. For me, its easier to not cheat if my food is already ready for me.

I joined YouTube. There is an incredible wls community on there and I have been participating and watching their videos - great inspiration and support.

I have 1/2 cup and 1 cup gladware containers to make Portion Control easier.

My Water is up to about 60 ounces a day. I am walking a bit more than before, but I haven't gone nuts with that yet.

I took before pics before I started my diet, and will do another set right before surgery.

Most importantly (for me at least) is I have been working hard at reworking my thinking. I havent had soda or alcohol (or any calorie beverage for that matter) in 6 weeks. I mostly gave up coffee too - less things for me to have to feel like I "gave up" on my surgery date.

I typed so long that I missed your second post. ABSOLUTELY keep track starting now. Losing the weight could actually be harder before than after the band. Its an accomplishment, now or later. Count it all!

Mainly what I have already done are three things:

I made my favorite chili, pureed it and froze it. Still pretty much tastes the same, and since its basically Beans and meat, its all about the Protein.

I made a Soup with shrimp and tofu. I don't usually eat tofu, but it has no real flavor and it is high in Protein. Put it in an Asian style broth (basically chicken broth with a little ginger and soy sauce), and pureed. It tastes kinda like shrimp with soy sauce, and blended into a smooth, creamy, protein packed Soup.< /p>

My doc's suggestion that I used was I boiled some potatoes and then pureed them with fat free plain yogurt (gives them somewhat of a sour cream flavor). I pureed some chicken to put on top of that, and then added a little fat free chicken gravy. It will be moist, protein filled, and will mostly taste like mashed potatoes. That way I get a little bit of one of my traditional comfort foods in a way thats better for me.

If it helps, my doc allows egg drop soup on liquids, but I do not like egg drop soup. Its not the egg that bothers me, but it comes in a kinda thick broth. I boil Water, add a packet of bouillon, and then drizzle in a half cup of egg beaters while stirring. 65 calories, 12 grams of protein, and actually kinda yummy!

Hey Bridgette. I am 11 days away from surgery, so I am already on my preop diet, but I did five weeks on my own first so that I could get my body a bit healthier.

I ordered samples from Vitalady so I have my choice of Protein shakes during liquid stage. I am anal, so I already cooked and froze most of my lunch/dinner for mushy stage. For me, its easier to not cheat if my food is already ready for me.

I joined YouTube. There is an incredible wls community on there and I have been participating and watching their videos - great inspiration and support.

I have 1/2 cup and 1 cup gladware containers to make Portion Control easier.

My Water is up to about 60 ounces a day. I am walking a bit more than before, but I haven't gone nuts with that yet.

I took before pics before I started my diet, and will do another set right before surgery.

Most importantly (for me at least) is I have been working hard at reworking my thinking. I havent had soda or alcohol (or any calorie beverage for that matter) in 6 weeks. I mostly gave up coffee too - less things for me to have to feel like I "gave up" on my surgery date.

These are some great ideas!!! Thank you. You have been doing very well! I'm impressed. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I think I'll have DH take my before shots and measurements tonight.

I'd love to hear what you've pre-made as well. I'm going to buy one of those bullet blender things they sell on TV at Target or Walmart today when I go out (if I can ever get my butt off the computer, LOL) to start preparing myself. I also want to look at the baby utensils. I hadn't thought about the small gladware containers. Brilliant!!

Thanks again!! :cry_smile:

Hey Bridgette.. For sure keep track of the weight you have lost and will loose it helps you strive to do more and better.. I have done evertying on your list.. I want to remember this process .. Every step of the way .. Even the difficult times.. that way if one day I am doubting my ability to do continue on I can say, but wait that was pretty hard and I got through it and if I could get through that then I can get through anything.. You need to do what ever is best for your mind and what will help you in the future.. we all need to remember this is not just about the right now it is about the rest of our lives and how great we are making them :cry_smile:

P.S. Glad you finally added a picture. It is always nice to put a face with a name :mellow:

I went and bought the Magic Bullet blender thing today. So I'll be ready for Protein Shakes and mushies.... trying to get prepared early. BUT ya know, I couldn't find baby spoons/forks that aren't plastic or cutesy.... that's kinda frustrating! I don't want a plastic spoon, but I hear they really help with Portion Control when eating.

Hey Bridgette - I thought about getting the magic bullet, but for now I will be sticking with my Cuisinart blender at home, and Im thinking I might pick up a Kitchenaid immersion blender for work. One of the guys I work closely with is also doing Protein shakes and would love to be able to do stuff like add fruit at work sometimes too.

I personally have not bought smaller utensils because I am oddly anal (I have three sets of silverware in my house from combining households with my hubby and then buying joint silverware) and I will ONLY eat from one set. Weird, I know. But have you looked at sundae spoons? You might dislike the long handles, but they have long handles and small "spoon" parts. For me (ok, silverware issues again) they are not only small, but unlike kid silverware they make me feel like im eating something special - silly, but....they might work.

Oooohhhh... I hadn't thought of sundae spoons. I did look on Oneida.com and they have "feeding spoons" for babies in regular stainless steel. They have little spoon "heads" and longer handles. They're $14.99 + s/h for 4 of them. I'd like to have some to take in my purse when going to a restaurant. I know, I'm wierd, but I *really* don't want to PB or get stuck in public!!! I might just order 2 sets of the feeder spoons and be done with it. They also have a little set that has a baby spoon, baby fork and feeder spoon.... what's the likelihood I really need a fork? Would a pickle fork work the same way? I could probably order a set of those in the same style and they'd have long handles like regular flatware but have little "heads".... I don't know what you call the part you eat off of, LOL.

I'll let you know how my bullet works. I'm a housewife so I just wanted something I could use throughout the day without having to unassemble and reassemble my big kitchenaid blender, kwim?

I know exactly what you mean. Today I picked up an immersion blender to take to work - that way I only have to wash the stem/blade part. I use the big blender for Breakfast, but hubby dutifully washes it for me - I dont know that I would go that route if I had to wash it myself!

So, tonight DH took my measurements! Ugh! I can't wait to see those numbers go down! I'm getting the Realize band and when I met with the surgeon last month, he gave me a book for the Realize site where I can track my progress. I can put my food diary, log exercise, goals, weight/measurements. It looks like a pretty neat site! I played around on it this evening so now I have my baseline information. It's pretty cool.

I also re-read my handbook that I got last Friday. Whenever I read the section about the surgery, I get all dizzy-nervous feeling. I don't know why but that's the part that's freaking me out the most! I need to calm down, but it's pretty darn scary.

Bridgette,

I totally agree with you it is pretty freaky.. but we are going to be ok.. this is all for a new way of life and a better one at that.. My hubby goes in for his surgery in about 6 hours .. I can't sleep. I am nervous for him.. I know he will be fine, but he has never had surgery before and I know he must be feeling nervous too.. keep us in your thoughts.. I hope you have a good evening.. Just remember why you are doing this.. and it really makes it much easier :rolleyes2:

Meshultz ~ I imagine by this time, your hubby is in "bandland" and on his way to a healthy new lifestyle! Will say a prayer for healthy and speedy recovery. Please try to keep us posted on how he's doing. You're up next, girlie! =)

Thanks for the kind words! You're right, the surgery is simply a step on the way to a new healthy lifestyle. Just think of how much healthier we'll be by this time next year!! =)