Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band Deaths

Guest Should Ann Band

Wow first of all I never said it changed the statistics nor did I say that it was even comparable to deaths related to car accidents, cancer, or any other atrocities. I realize it has been extremely beneficial to many people who otherwise wouldn't be alive today opposed to the very few that have had severe complications. I just found it interesting that I had heard of 3 incidents in the last week, so yeah I am definitely more hesitant now. Again though my insurance doesn't cover it and there is no way I could pay for it out of pocket, so I highly doubt I even would have been able to get it done anyway. Congrats on both of your success with the band. That's wonderful, but I am definitely entitled to my own feelings and can post things I know of on here. :(

Wow first of all I never said it changed the statistics nor did I say that it was even comparable to deaths related to car accidents, cancer, or any other atrocities. I realize it has been extremely beneficial to many people who otherwise wouldn't be alive today opposed to the very few that have had severe complications. I just found it interesting that I had heard of 3 incidents in the last week, so yeah I am definitely more hesitant now. Again though my insurance doesn't cover it and there is no way I could pay for it out of pocket, so I highly doubt I even would have been able to get it done anyway. Congrats on both of your success with the band. That's wonderful, but I am definitely entitled to my own feelings and can post things I know of on here. :(

Hi Paws. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be snarky in my reply, just logical. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. I sure didn't mean to.

by the way you might want to take into consideration : the expeirience of the doctor as well as the hospital it was performed at. If you are a self pay that flew to like...peru to get it done or something...there might be added risks(not saying the hospitals are any worse but even just traveling at putting yourself at risk of infection) And if the doctor has only performed a handful of surgeries...if something should go wrond during surgery it could mean he/she might not know what to do or how to do it well enough to keep you alive...

I agree with the "risk in everything." I think this is just a leap of faith...and yea I'm getting the band soon and I'm scared sh*tless still...

by the way you might want to take into consideration : the expeirience of the doctor as well as the hospital it was performed at. If you are a self pay that flew to like...peru to get it done or something...there might be added risks(not saying the hospitals are any worse but even just traveling at putting yourself at risk of infection) And if the doctor has only performed a handful of surgeries...if something should go wrond during surgery it could mean he/she might not know what to do or how to do it well enough to keep you alive...

I agree with the "risk in everything." I think this is just a leap of faith...and yea I'm getting the band soon and I'm scared sh*tless still...

I'm scared too. But I keep reminding myself that there is nearly 100% chance that my excess weight will cause me serious harm and a very very low chance that the surgery will harm me. But, yes, it's a scary thought.

If you are on Social Security Disability and have medicaid (I think that is what it is called), you are covered for Lapband surgery. You just have to use one of their Centers of Excellence.

Hi Paws. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be snarky in my reply, just logical.

Well I intentionally put some snark in with my logic because not understanding the real risks of things is a pet peeve of mine. I blame the schools for not teaching people to understand statistics and how to evaluate information. But that's another rant for another time. :)

Bottom line: I have done my research and I know the chances of various bad things happening if I get a lap bad. In addition to knowing the theoretical risks, I've lurked around the complications forum on purpose to get a feel for the range of problems people have and how they impact them in real life. I recommend you do that and form your own opinion about whether you can handle the risks.

As for hearing about people who had problems, we all need to watch out for people whom come and tell us about every single rumor they hear about bad things happening to people who got WLS. Some people do this because they don't approve of WLS and they are on the lookout for these stories, which tend to get exaggerated and distorted. Sometimes, when you probe, the WLS isn't even lap band or an important detail is left out -- like the person went to a known quack for a cheap banding or wasn't following the rules.

This is not to say that no one dies or has slippage or erosion or other problems from lap band. We know they do because we see people here who have these problems. But you'll get much better info from LBT or a local support group about complications than you'll get from someone who hasn't even had the surgery and is getting many of their stories of bad things second-hand.

I am comfortable with the chance of death from lap band because it's very, very small. I was planning to have my tubes tied and the chance of death from that is similar to lap band, but I've never heard anyone caution someone not to get their tubes tied because they might die, even though they might. It's an elective surgery, too.

Really good points, Mac. Obviously the fear comes from the fact that lap band surgery is elective. But... look at how many people get plastic surgery or liposuction.... totally elective surgery, and we have heard of some infamous deaths from that surgery... but the odds are extremely low and it doesn't keep people from doing it. And their lives weren't endangered by their loose skin or sagging faces, the way our lives are endangered by our excess weight. Women die in childbirth.... I don't know those odds but I'm sure they are very low too... doesn't keep people from getting pregnant. My father-in-law died from heart bypass surgery. We hear about people getting bypass surgery every day and we think of it as routine. Every surgery has its risks. Most surgery's risk is not as high as the risks from morbid obesity though. That's why they call it "morbid".

Women die in childbirth.... I don't know those odds but I'm sure they are very low too... doesn't keep people from getting pregnant.

This reminds me of another point I was going to make but decided it was tangental to my main point... :)

When you get pg, you will get every Tom, Dick and Harry coming up to you and telling you some horror story about their own pregnancy or someone they know or just someone they heard about. They aren't trying to talk you out of being pregnant, obviously.

It just seems to be human nature to want to tell these kinds of stories and for them to be as gruesome and as scary as possible. That's why you have to take them with a grain of salt.

My father-in-law died from heart bypass surgery. We hear about people getting bypass surgery every day and we think of it as routine.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that heart bypass surgery is routine. I know I was pretty worried when my FIL went through his. :) It's a BIG surgery - major surgery. I don't think of lap band as major surgery. It's done laparoscopically and it's over in about an hour, with hardly any blood loss.

Every surgery has its risks. Most surgery's risk is not as high as the risks from morbid obesity though.

This is why everyone has to do a risk-benefit analysis. Everyone's answer will be different because everyone has different values and is in a different place in their lives.

Therefore, if someone says they don't think the risks of lap band surgery are worth it to them, that's okay with me. But I've done my homework and I'm smart enough to have made the right decision for me and I think the benefits outweigh the risks -- for me.

You know the thing I really hate, or consider a pet peeve, is when a someone stumbles upon something - a website for instance - and decide to comment on it then get rejected and ridiculed for doing so. Sure there are risks in everything in life, some take them some don't. To pounce upon and be "snarky" for every cross comment made that doesn't seem to fit into your wonderful perception doesn't help a "discussion thread" does it? Because it perhaps hits a little close to your current fears and insecurities doesn't exactly give you the right to shoot down another opinion, or expression of said fears. The simple fact that you've "done research" does not entitle you to be an expert on what can and can't be said. I frequent many online forums and stumble upon new forums often. No matter the topic, hateful, rude remarks never really do anything good for the forum community. In fact it taints and spoils every thing it touches. Many people want to know ALL of the risks involved, whether it's passed along from another source, the news, statistic websites, whatever. Even though it's still no where near accurate. Of all of those statistics, it's just a certain number that they've counted. It's impossible to have spoken to EVERY single person who has had lap band. Regardless, every person reacts differently and every doctor performs it differently. We're all human and blessed with being different and unique. It's whether or not you can accept that fact that makes you different. Obviously some of us can't. So being "right" and having all the "facts" are relative, much like being normal, intelligent, attractive, etc.

For the sake of people who really come here to hear the stories and possibilities of what can happen, think before you post. If not, I'd recommend everyone bypass the "snarky" BS :) ...good luck.

And yes I too am new here. A simple google search puts this discussion pretty high on the ranking, so I would imagine many future candidates see this thread. Just an FYI :)

Edited by victimofsociety

No problem Mini. I understand that things can come across very different through the computer. Thanks for the clarification though. Anna-I don't have SSI yet, just waiting for a courtdate. I'm sure all of that depends on what state you're in and everything though but thank you. Mac, you seem to have something snippy to say to everyone. It is a waste of time even saying anything to people like you, that think they know EVERYTHING and refuse to except others opinions if they are different than your own. It sounds like you are a bit paranoid. I have no reason to go around spreading rumors. I obviously don't think it's that bad or I wouldn't be considering having it done myself. I just simply said that in one week I have heard of some pretty bad stuff that definitely makes me think. My post was for the first person that asked if anyone knew of any deaths or anything, not you. I just think it's funny because if you were that confident in your decision why would you be on here being so defensive attacking people? If you want to base all of your decisions on statistics that you have no idea where they came from or how accurate they are, good for you. You have absolutely no idea what I have or haven't looked up. You are not any better or more intelligent than me or the next person. I really would advice you to stop talking down to people, it will get you no where in life. Yes, there are risks with everything as stated several times. Anyways thanks to all of you that can except and respect others views, but I will not be back. I don't have the time or patience to deal with people that want to argue about everything that is said. Good luck everyone.

Because it perhaps hits a little close to your current fears and insecurities doesn't exactly give you the right to shoot down another opinion, or expression of said fears.

Sorry to burst your amateur analysis, but I'm not the least bit afraid of dying from getting a lap band.

As for "shooting down" another opinion, if people post on a public forum, they are going to get their opinions and posts challenged if people don't agree with them.

hateful, rude remarks never really do anything good for the forum community.

Please show me where I was hateful or rude?

Many people want to know ALL of the risks involved, whether it's passed along from another source, the news, statistic websites, whatever.

This is why I suggested going to the Complications forum. I want to know all the risks involved too. But "my cousin's mother's roommate in the hospital..." is just not helpful. The "information" has passed through too many filters and there isn't enough of it.

IMO, the OP's cousin has an agenda and will continue to save up stories of Lap band horrors until she has the surgery or gives up on the idea. I could be wrong about that, but that's how the original post came across to me.

Personally, I think it would be a shame to give up on a surgery that has done so much good for so many people bases on these sorts of stories.

Sorry to burst your amateur analysis, but I'm not the least bit afraid of dying from getting a lap band.

As for "shooting down" another opinion, if people post on a public forum, they are going to get their opinions and posts challenged if people don't agree with them.

Everyone is afraid. I get that you're psyching yourself up for it, but again no need to be rude. It is, however, funny that you automatically assumed I was talking about you :)

Please show me where I was hateful or rude?
I believe the correct question should be "Please show me where I wasn't hateful or rude?" ...you come across very rude. Even if it isn't your intention, which IMO makes it worse, it's still rude. The "amateur analysis" comment completely sums up your personality. You want hateful and rude? Take a look.
This is why I suggested going to the Complications forum. I want to know all the risks involved too. But "my cousin's mother's roommate in the hospital..." is just not helpful. The "information" has passed through too many filters and there isn't enough of it.
In fact that is helpful. Knowing everything there is to know is the agenda of many. Like I said, a statistic isn't accurate, there are too many people in this world for it to be. If all procedures were performed on the same person, by the same doctor, then maybe, but NO. In this day and age, are statistics really that accurate? They're not manipulated in any way to soften unwanted results? The simple fact that you've based your reasoning upon these so-called statistics, doesn't make you any better. An a**hole is an a**hole, no matter the shape, size, or color :biggrin2:.
IMO, the OP's cousin has an agenda and will continue to save up stories of Lap band horrors until she has the surgery or gives up on the idea. I could be wrong about that, but that's how the original post came across to me.
I highly doubt that. Being on the defense can't be healthy. The way I read it, this girl has considered having lap band and has coincidentally heard 3 "horror stories" fairly close together. That's enough to place a little hesitation. I don't think anyone ever said anything along the lines of "No don't get the surgery!! It's dangerous, you will die..." you're overreacting and taking things out of context.
Personally, I think it would be a shame to give up on a surgery that has done so much good for so many people bases on these sorts of stories.
Again, no one is saying to not get the surgery. It's just a precaution...or a need to help. Many people feel that need to help one another. Even if it's not the help that YOU are looking for, maybe it's what "Tom, Dick, and Harry" needed. Again, YOU are not the judge and jury here, nor are you the only voice to be heard. Let there be a discussion, and let people say what they feel they need to say. If it doesn't mesh with you, and you honestly can't contribute anything useful to the conversation, STFU and go on your own merry way.

For the sake of not becoming a hypocrite and soiling the post anymore, I'll not say anything more to you. It's not beneficial to anyone or anything.

With that said, good luck to those who want to get the surgery. Be mindful on what you decide and weigh the risks. Remember, don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive :) ...do what makes you happy and enjoy it while you can. I don't think I'll be visiting again, good day.

whole post

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I don't think I'll be visiting again, good day.

Well, at least not under this username, right?

I haven't had surgery yet, but I have read and re-read information regarding the risks from Lapband surgery. I'm willing to take the small risk of surgery in order to save my life from morbid obesity.

I know people have complications from surgery, and I'm sure people have died for various reasons that have had the Lapband procedure...however, MOST issues with the Lapband can be handled by watching for trigger symptoms and following doctor's orders.

Horror stories with no statistics to back them up make me mad. If you're going to try and scare people at least tell us where you got your information so the rest of us can get the "whole" story on our own.

Oh, and in case you missed it, my post is full of "snark".

*Uhh, I realized I bumped an old-ish post, sorry....it came up in my recent posts for some reason ><

Edited by MicheleK
Duhhh