Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dreading the pre-op diet...

Next week i need to start the pre-op diet..but i don't know how i am going to survive and how true to it i can stay. They want me to only have 3 carnation instant breakfasts a day with two fruits. Boy oh boy...how am i going to do that? I guess i will be posting everytime i am going to eat!!! I did cut out all carbination bev. i drink only ice tea..and love it. BUT....oh boy....also... on sunday i am starting my 7 day complete body cleanse!! I am excited but nervous!:thumbup:

All I have to say is that your so lucky.. my pre op diet is nothing but skim milk and crystal light and Water.. THATS IT! I would love to be able to eat something and not fall off the wagon like I have... but I have lost 13 pounds so far, so stick with it!

Elaine

I had to do two weeks of 4 slimfasts a day only and Water. It wasn't so bad until the night before surgery. Then the 2 weeks after liquids only sucked bad. :thumbup:

Does everyone have to go one the pre-op diet. I am having surgery on November 12th and my Doc has said nothing about it??? And i am not having any tests before hand? And i am told by others who had surgery by him that i will be eating normal food by the end of the first week? This doesn't sound like all that i have heard on this site? I'm worried???

I have a month of liquids! I have 13 days left. And I cheated 3 times. I ate things that I figured I would never eat again (like Dirty rice, loaded pizza, and some macaroni and cheese). Otherwise, I have stuck to it. Been pretty creative with my shakes. sugar free puddings and jellos are good, and crystal lights and Soups have been my staples.

Stay OUT OF THE HOUSE! Go visit people, walk to the park, go to the mall, don't bring money, do anything but sit in the house by the fridge. I didn't have to do a pre op diet, but that would be sooooooooo hard! ughhhh I feel for you. But this is probably the hardest step in the process. You can and WILL do it! If you need to, you could take some Benedryl in the evening and just sleep! That passes the time quicker. And keep this in mind. The pre op diet isn't to starve you, it's to quickly burn off the fat around your liver. If your surgeon gets in there and can't get around a fatty liver, he'll have to close and try again later. Now that would be horrible and it's happened so some people.

I start my my two week preop diet on mon and I am nervous. I can have Protein Shakes 2 cups of non carb veggies like carrots, lettuce, zuccunni etc. and suger free Jello and crystal Light and Water. I have enough of a selection I guess to not get too bored. I made some Soups and froze them for next two weeks and for after surgery today. I am going to make some more tomorrow I think if I have time. Wow I can't believe surgery is coming up soon. I can't wait!!!

I started my pre-op diet on Monday. I am allowed 6 Glucerna shakes a day, 2 yogurts, and all of the calorie free liquids I want (i.e. broth, sf jello). I have to say that now on day 3, I am not that hungry. I was starving yesterday when I had to cook something for my 11 year old. I finally had to tell myself to back away from the fish stick!:frown: I don't even like fish sticks, but I was ready to shove my son out of the way for one. My shakes smell/taste like medicine. I really hate the vanilla. I tried added flavoring to it, but you can still smell that awful mediciny smell. gross!

I am going to keep going though. I don't want them to cut me open only to say "no surgery for you!" like Surgery Nazi (i know poor Seinfeld reference).

Good luck to you all!:thumbup:

Edited by *slim*

oh , a quick tip on how to make delicious shakes! Go to the grocery store, or coffee shop, and buy the sugar free flavored Syrup. 0 calories. Add 1 tsp to your vanilla Protein drink and it turns into a gourmet dessert! Hazelnut,,,,,almond,,,,,,,,CHEESECAKE! The possibilities are endless.

Thank you so much. I will go today and see what I can find.:)

I'm on day 4 out of 10 days preop liquids...then I have 14 days after. I can say, not a morsal of food has passed my lips, but it has been hard. I think of food all day. I take tylenol pm around 8 just to get to sleep faster. For me, it's all about passing the time till Sept. 24. I stay at home with the kids, so I hve to find things to keep me busy.

I'm allowed 16 oz of Protein supplement. (whey Protein is my choice)

Tastes like skim choc milk, I don't mind it. I'm allowed to mix that with skim milk, so that gives me a total of 400 cals.

I can have broth, sf Jello and sf popsicles too. Ohh, and non calorie, non caffiene/carbonated drinks such as koolaid with splenda. Thats it.

I'm starving. I've lost 8 pounds since Sunday...(3 total days!) Of course, I gorged on Saturday night....

I will do this....you can do it too...I was very scared, but I'm more scared of how it will make me feel mentally and pyschologically if I cheat right now.

Good luck!

Of course, I gorged on Saturday night....

See, I think that is my problem. Since they moved my surgery up, I didn't get my one day of gorging that I had planned.:cool2: My mom's birthday is tomorrow, but she is having mouth surgery tomorrow:thumbdown:, so I knew that they were going to take her out to eat today. My surgeon's office calling on Monday really just threw me off. Oh well, that is ok because I am that much closer to a new start!:mellow:

Good luck to you too!:)

slim n tn...

I had to go bck and read the thread and cracked up at your seinfeld reference...we love seinfeld!! "whats the deal with those Protein shakes???" (another bad attempt at a seinfeld-ism)

I'm trying to keep myself busy. I just packed the kids lunch for tommorow and man ohh man...what I wouldn't do for just a nibble of ham and cheese sandwhich...or 3 or 8...

So you must be having surgery the 25th? Well, it will be over before we know it. I actually studied my preop diet and I'm already so excited that in addition to my liquids I get now, I can have sf pudding, yogurt and cream of wheat/oatmeal!!!! Yay baby! I just want a different taste in my mouth at this point. Even the broth is not tasting too good anymore!!:)

Stay OUT OF THE HOUSE! Go visit people, walk to the park, go to the mall, don't bring money, do anything but sit in the house by the fridge. I didn't have to do a pre op diet, but that would be sooooooooo hard! ughhhh I feel for you. But this is probably the hardest step in the process. You can and WILL do it! If you need to, you could take some Benedryl in the evening and just sleep! That passes the time quicker. And keep this in mind. The pre op diet isn't to starve you, it's to quickly burn off the fat around your liver. If your surgeon gets in there and can't get around a fatty liver, he'll have to close and try again later. Now that would be horrible and it's happened so some people.

This is a good plan GET OUT of the house! I just started my preop diet today :), Not likin it at all! :mellow: My surgery is sept. 25th. I'm very excited! My doc said just lose 5lbs (so not to gain) but I'm afraid I may have gained. They sprung the date on me so fast! I thought I'd be waiting forever,