Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Jamshid Nazarian

Has anyone gotten banded by Dr. Jamshid Nazarian in Southern California? His bio reads...

Dr. Jamshid Nazarian is a diplomat of the American Board of Surgery, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a Fellow of the International College of Surgeons. As an active member of the American Society of Bariatric Surgery and International Federation of Bariatric Surgery, Dr. Nazarian's focus is on Bariatric Procedures. He has been practicing in Los Angeles since 1986, and has performed over two thousand Bariatric cases. In total, he has participated in more than four thousand Bariatric surgeries.

After completing his general surgery residency in New York at the Brooklyn Jewish Hospital, Dr. Nazarian completed his fellowship in thoracic surgery at Wayne State University in Michigan and Hahnamann University in Pennsylvania.

Dr. Nazarian’s practice specializes in Laparoscopic procedures (minimally-invasive Gastric Bypass), and he has performed a large number of difficult corrective Bariatric surgeries referred from other institutions.

Dr. Nazarian believes that each individual’s needs are unique and require customized care. He strives to improve each patient’s quality of life through his surgical expertise, professional qualifications, and extensive experience.

Residency and Fellowships:

• General Surgery
    Brooklyn Jewish General Hospital, New York
  • Thoracic Surgery
    Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
    Hahnemann University Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA

Societies - Memberships - Affiliations:

• American College of Surgeons
  • The International College of Surgeons
  • The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
  • The International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity

asbs-logo.jpg

Maybe I'm freaking out a little but he yawned during my consultation and I just think that's kinda rude. Also, the staff that works at his 'practice' are kinda pushy... What do you all think? :)

Has anyone gotten banded by Dr. Jamshid Nazarian in Southern California? His bio reads...

Dr. Jamshid Nazarian is a diplomat of the American Board of Surgery, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a Fellow of the International College of Surgeons. As an active member of the American Society of Bariatric Surgery and International Federation of Bariatric Surgery, Dr. Nazarian's focus is on Bariatric Procedures. He has been practicing in Los Angeles since 1986, and has performed over two thousand Bariatric cases. In total, he has participated in more than four thousand Bariatric surgeries.

After completing his general surgery residency in New York at the Brooklyn Jewish Hospital, Dr. Nazarian completed his fellowship in thoracic surgery at Wayne State University in Michigan and Hahnamann University in Pennsylvania.

Dr. Nazarian’s practice specializes in Laparoscopic procedures (minimally-invasive Gastric Bypass), and he has performed a large number of difficult corrective Bariatric surgeries referred from other institutions.

Dr. Nazarian believes that each individual’s needs are unique and require customized care. He strives to improve each patient’s quality of life through his surgical expertise, professional qualifications, and extensive experience.

Residency and Fellowships:

• General Surgery
    Brooklyn Jewish General Hospital, New York
  • Thoracic Surgery
    Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
    Hahnemann University Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA

Societies - Memberships - Affiliations:

• American College of Surgeons
  • The International College of Surgeons
  • The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
  • The International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity

asbs-logo.jpg

Maybe I'm freaking out a little but he yawned during my consultation and I just think that's kinda rude. Also, the staff that works at his 'practice' are kinda pushy... What do you all think? :redface:

I just met him saturday & because of how unprofessional he was and how getto the place seemed and how the employees were acting, made me really want to look elsewhere! He completely yawned during the consolitation and it really worried me that he might fall asleep during surgery! Did you end up going through him? because of financing I might have too now!

Hi, I was thinking about having a consult with Dr. Nazarian. Have to pay cash and he is a good price. Not sure now that I read these posts. Anyone out there have a good experience with Dr. Nazarian or other bad experiences???? Anyone actually get banded with him??? How has your band been doing????? Anyone out there have a Dr. in the Inland Empire area with good experience and decent cash price????? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I had a consult with him last Sunday. My appt. was for 9 a.m. and I didn't leave until 12:30. It was so busy and cramped. The doctor did seem nice and he did yawn. I told my husband and he just thought he's just busy and while consulting patients he has to repeat himself over and over. I am torn. I am self pay also, with a BMI of 35. I liked his price and it is close to my home with procedures on Sundays. The nurses seemed nice and I have called since to ask questions and still nice. They are just so busy and cramped in a small office. I have the psych and nutrutionist referrals from him. Also, I have to have an upper GI. My surgery date will be Dec. 14 (my choice) I couldve had Nov 3. I would love to hear about other peoples experience and who they are seeing. I wouldn't mind having another consult with someone else. I live in Corona.

Michele

Hi, I had a consult with him last Sunday. My appt. was for 9 a.m. and I didn't leave until 12:30. It was so busy and cramped. The doctor did seem nice and he did yawn. I told my husband and he just thought he's just busy and while consulting patients he has to repeat himself over and over. I am torn. I am self pay also, with a BMI of 35. I liked his price and it is close to my home with procedures on Sundays. The nurses seemed nice and I have called since to ask questions and still nice. They are just so busy and cramped in a small office. I have the psych and nutrutionist referrals from him. Also, I have to have an upper GI. My surgery date will be Dec. 14 (my choice) I couldve had Nov 3. I would love to hear about other peoples experience and who they are seeing. I wouldn't mind having another consult with someone else. I live in Corona.

Michele

what was the total out of pocket cost with him???? I've been researching doctors a lot the last week and I'm going to call Dr. Owens (Rancho Cucamonga), Dr. Coon and Dr.Krahn and see what their out of pocket costs are and I'll keep you posted. I called Dr. Nazarin's office and had good response from his team. I was pleased with that and I have seen a bio on him. Just wasn't happy with some of the responses people left about him and the yawning thing. Keep me posted and we'll hope to hear some good experiences to soon be posted.

The total out of pocket is 13000. Includes 6 adjustments. They had an internet price of 10500 and that did not include the anethesologist. I have gotten approved for a loan with a good rate, and will be intrest free if I pay it off in a year. I would like to keep in touch and see who you go through. I did an internet search on the doctor Bariatric Surgeon Profile - Jamshid Nazarian M.D., F.A.C.Sand I found rave reviews of the doctor. I will keep you posted. Right now I have everything I need to go forward. Also I like the time frame, it works for me. I just want it done so I can lose this weight. I have fears, but they would be the same with any doctor. I do have another concern and that is since I am self pay what happens if I have any complications after the procedure will it be covered under my insurance? I will have to call my insurance to find out. Let's keep each other informed since we are going through the same thing. Good luck. Michele

The total out of pocket is 13000. Includes 6 adjustments. They had an internet price of 10500 and that did not include the anethesologist. I have gotten approved for a loan with a good rate, and will be intrest free if I pay it off in a year. I would like to keep in touch and see who you go through. I did an internet search on the doctor Bariatric Surgeon Profile - Jamshid Nazarian M.D., F.A.C.Sand I found rave reviews of the doctor. I will keep you posted. Right now I have everything I need to go forward. Also I like the time frame, it works for me. I just want it done so I can lose this weight. I have fears, but they would be the same with any doctor. I do have another concern and that is since I am self pay what happens if I have any complications after the procedure will it be covered under my insurance? I will have to call my insurance to find out. Let's keep each other informed since we are going through the same thing. Good luck. Michele

I also saw the internet rate and they told me it covered a years worth of fills, but not anesthesia. That seems like a lot to me to add for anesthesia. Do you think???? I figured $500 extra at most, but I can be totally off base. Anyway, I haven't found financing yet, but the Beverly Hills Consultation I had said they could finance for likee $100 a month. I know I'll be paying for years, but its kinda what I need right now. I hope they can do the same. I'm going to go ahead with Dr. Nazarian's Consultation.

I am still going to try insurance, but don't think it will work. The Beverly Hills office I went to (Top Surgeons), put throught a request to insurance, but after reviewing their doctors, I know I don't want to go with them, so I don't know how that works. If it goes through (cross my fingers) can I switch Drs??? Hope so.

Anyway. Keep me posted.

-Wendy

When is your appt. with the Dr? I am curious to see what you think. Are you going to his office in San Dimas? I don't know how much anesth. should be. He actually sat down with me during the quote part to go over the upper GI that is needed before the procedure can be done.

I also called the OBand Center and they said about 17000 for selfpay. So 13000 sounds good to me. Let me know what you think.

I am not real sure about switching doctors I don't have much experience on how insurance works. Maybe call them directly and ask what to do.

Talk to you later. Good Luck!

Wait...I'm confused....the price quote I got from Dr. Nazarian's office in Pasadena was like 15,999. You guys got a quote from them for 13,000? Also, are you talking about Dr. Nazarian when you say office in San Dimas? I am so confused! Who are the doctors in the Beverly Hills office (top surgeons)? I was going through Beverly Hills Physicians and that is how I found Dr. Nazarian & Nicole (the sales lady). Can you guys help me out cause I might be self pay, might be covered with insurance. I don't know yet but I need to weigh all my options. Also, can you guys put your progress on this thread so I can follow too? Thanks!

Wait...I'm confused....the price quote I got from Dr. Nazarian's office in Pasadena was like 15,999. You guys got a quote from them for 13,000? Also, are you talking about Dr. Nazarian when you say office in San Dimas? I am so confused! Who are the doctors in the Beverly Hills office (top surgeons)? I was going through Beverly Hills Physicians and that is how I found Dr. Nazarian & Nicole (the sales lady). Can you guys help me out cause I might be self pay, might be covered with insurance. I don't know yet but I need to weigh all my options. Also, can you guys put your progress on this thread so I can follow too? Thanks!

Hi Gabi, I actually haven't had a consult with Dr. Nazarian yet, so there might be some added charges once I have the consult. I think a lot of doctors move around to different locations and I got Dr. Nazarian's name from this website Lap Band: Laparoscopic Weight Loss Surgery. Lap Band Surgery

and he has a internet special at the San Dimas Location. The lady I spoke with did say that they could offer such a good price because of the facility.

Again, I haven't had my consultation yet, but will keep you posted. What was your experience of Dr. Nazarian?????

I think he is at both places. He only does surgeries every other Sunday in San Dimas at the San Dimas Surgical Medical Center.

So I have made a lot of progress yesterday and today. I had my blood drawn per the prescription they gave me, scheduled the following: psych consult, nutrition consult, Upper GI consult, and the 2nd consult with Dr. Nazarian for Nov 3. (which I didn't know I had to do until I called with questions). Again when I called they were very friendly.

My friend in VA is 5 days post op and urged me to keep going with making my appts. I was getting frustrated because all the appts are in LA or glendora and San Dimas. Plus I am on a 3 week vacation (teacher) and have to take my children to daycare twice a week so I can go to the appts. So it is time consuming but will be worth getting it done. I hope to hear about your experiences also.

Michele

I think he is at both places. He only does surgeries every other Sunday in San Dimas at the San Dimas Surgical Medical Center.

So I have made a lot of progress yesterday and today. I had my blood drawn per the prescription they gave me, scheduled the following: psych consult, nutrition consult, Upper GI consult, and the 2nd consult with Dr. Nazarian for Nov 3. (which I didn't know I had to do until I called with questions). Again when I called they were very friendly.

My friend in VA is 5 days post op and urged me to keep going with making my appts. I was getting frustrated because all the appts are in LA or glendora and San Dimas. Plus I am on a 3 week vacation (teacher) and have to take my children to daycare twice a week so I can go to the appts. So it is time consuming but will be worth getting it done. I hope to hear about your experiences also.

Michele

If you're looking for recommendations...I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Milton Owens. He works out of Rancho Specialty Hospital and (I think) Chapman in Orange as well. He put in my band just over a year ago and I’ve been very happy since day one. He has an online pre-op form that I filled out and I ended up opting for the cash option. "Out of pocket" is a term I usually associate with what insurance does not pay. "Cash" bypasses insurance altogether (which is what I did). My insurance wanted me to jump through months worth of hoops and, to quote a line from Willy Wonka, I wanted my golden goose now. My cash cost was $15,500 (if memory serves) and that included everything: free fills/follow-ups plus I think there were other added benefits such as assurance against some rare BLIS complication something or other (can't really recall) but I’ve never had to deal with any comlications (except eating too fast--:biggrin:).

Anywho, I think Dr. Owens was great. I consulted with him out of one of his offices in San Pedro. He then banded me at Rancho Specialty (not far from my home) and I was essentially in and out. It took about an hour for the procedure--3 hours soup-to-nuts.

I’ve done a few other posts here and there on here about my experience so I’ll spare you the novel.

Edited by DanTheMan

ok, I'm going for my consultation with Nazarian this Sunday, so I'll let you know how it goes. It's confirmed that my insurance will not pay for it, so I'm looking at Dr. Nazarian or maybe Mexico Dr. Ortiz. Hows all you pre op stuf going Mattsmom??

Hi Wendy,

I was going to ask you if you had gone in yet. Thanks for asking about my appts. Today I saw a dr. about my heart burn and he will perform the upper GI that is required before I have the lap put in. So I am moving forward. Thursday I go see a psychologist they recommended. She is in Los Angeles/Beverly Hills. She emailed me some scales and checklists she wants me to complete regarding my weight. Then on Tuesday I see the nutritionist. Not sure what that appt. is about. My friend in VA who had the lap put in over a week ago is doing great. No complications and just highly recommends it. So that is reassuring to hear. I am looking forward to the surgery and what it is going to do to me. I want to feel good again.

So you are going to self pay also? Good luck with everything. I hope you have a good experience at Nazarians office. Let me know about Ortiz. I have seen some posts regarding Mexico. Keep me posted.

Michele:)

Hi Michele,

I am going to have to self pay and its not something I can really afford right now, but I feel this is my health. I want to do this while I'm fairliy young before I develope more serious health problems. I have a family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity etc., so I know this is something I need to do for my health and it will give me back my self confidence. Anyway, I'm hoping I like the experience with Dr. Nazarian on Sunday and that we can work out some really low payments over the course of many years. The expense is partly why I'm looking in to Mexico as well. I keep hearing great things about Dr. Ortiz and TJ is a short trip and my husband is Mexican and speaks fluent spannish, but he's very uncomfortable about the whole Mexico thing, so we'll see.

It seems rather frustrating to go to all these appointments and so far away for all these pre op things. There were no doctors closer that could do your pre op appointments??? Is the upper GI only because of your heart burn or do all patients need to do that??? Do you have medical problems due to your weight???

Talk to you soon,

Wendy