Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Jamshid Nazarian

Hi Wendy,

I know about the appts. being so far but it is easier to work with their doctors because they know what is needed. The GI needs to be done for all patients I believe. Dr. Nazarian wants to see if there are any ulcers or something that would cause a complication prior to lap. So even though the heartburn is mild I wanted my insurance to cover it.

I don't like having another bill in these economic times but my husband thinks it will make me happier in the long run. In turn will make him happy too. My payments are going to be 349 per month for 60 months and interest free if we pay it off in a years time.

I have been struggling with my weight for 15 years and it is so depressing. I want to be able to do all the fun stuff with my two young kids (2year old son and 5 month old daughter). I won't go in our pool, and dance at weddings because of my weight. Also depression is a concern. So I don't have any other health problems so that insurance will cover the procedure.

I know what you mean about TJ. My husband had reservations about going to Mexico too. Even though there are many positive things being said about it. Good luck. On Sunday it will probley be very busy so its probley a good thing that he is popular. He will probley yawn too. Ha

Bye for now,

Michele

Dr. Owens is partnered with another surgeon and they both offer the procedure in Mexico (at least he did 15 months ago when he did mine). It was far cheaper to do it down there but I opted for close to home as I could afford it.

The nice thing, I would imagine, is if you have him do yours in TJ/Mexico you could then do your visits with him in SoCal at one of his offices.

Hi Wendy,

So how was your consult with Dr. Nazarian? I can't wait to hear.

Thursday I went to see the psych it was very interesting and shows me that I have some psychological work to do along with the physical. I know I have to work through my head hunger and find ways to cope with feelings other than eating. So I got my letter for the Dr. and tomorrow I will see the nutritionist. Look forward to hearing about your appt.

Michele

Hi Michele,

Well I went in yesterday and I guess I got mixed up on the date of my appt. They said it was scheduled for last Sun and the Dr. is only in every other Sun., so I am rescheduled to go in on the 2nd. I felt a little silly, I'm sure it was my error as I have had a very busy couple of weeks and probably marked my calendar wrong. Anyway, I'll let you know next week. I thought the location and feel of the office was fine. I see what you mean about a small waiting room, but I didn't get that uneasy feeling about it. I can't wait to start my journey. I'm glad your moving along. When is your surgery date again????? Keep me posted and I'll get back to you next week. Have a happy Halloween with your little ones.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Ahh, I am sorry for the mix up on your appt. days. Guess what? I will be there on Sunday at 10:15. Maybe our paths will cross. Let me know what your appt time is and I will look for you. It is great to have someone to talk to while we are going through this journey. I just want it done already. I am so instant gratification. I don't want to be fat anymore, and I want it now. My husband put it this way: You have spent the last 15 years this way whats 40 more days. Sunday I am going to put a deposit for December 14 because I will be off on Christmas break for 3 weeks. It will be a nice Christmas present.

Have a great Halloween! Do you have kids? If so what ages? Mine are 2 years apart. Matthew who is 2 and Kaitlyn who is almost 5 months old.

Oh, I was wondering if you are telling people you are having lapband surgery? I have only told my mom. Not sure if I will tell people at work. I am nervous telling my inlaws. Just wondering if you are sharing this with people.

Talk to you soon,

Michele:smile2:

I went yesterday, i wasnt impressed with the facility, i thought it was a huge surgical center this is my first consult, he yawned while we were talking and that scared me too. i didnt feel comfortable having surgery there in san dimas, plus i think i will look closer to home, i live in temecula and am thinking about seeing Dr. Krahn in riverside, i had an acquantaince who had lap band with him in july and referred him to me, good luck

what was the total out of pocket cost with him???? I've been researching doctors a lot the last week and I'm going to call Dr. Owens (Rancho Cucamonga), Dr. Coon and Dr.Krahn and see what their out of pocket costs are and I'll keep you posted. I called Dr. Nazarin's office and had good response from his team. I was pleased with that and I have seen a bio on him. Just wasn't happy with some of the responses people left about him and the yawning thing. Keep me posted and we'll hope to hear some good experiences to soon be posted.

I went yesterday, i wasnt impressed with the facility, i thought it was a huge surgical center this is my first consult, he yawned while we were talking and that scared me too. i didnt feel comfortable having surgery there in san dimas, plus i think i will look closer to home, i live in temecula and am thinking about seeing Dr. Krahn in riverside, i had an acquantaince who had lap band with him in july and referred him to me, good luck

Hi ... FYI - I am in the same area searching like you are Dr. Owens seems to have great references on ObesityHelp.com and here, Dr. Krahn has a lot of negative reviews one different sites (check for yourself) for me 2 is enough! Everything is an individual journey so I am sure others have had great experiences. I am just learning of this Out of pockets amounts too and Dr. Owens seems to be reasonable compared to some other providers. Wish you well! I am doing my labs this week and per his office should get a January date for surgery. :)

Hello Wendy and Michele,

This is my first time on this forum. I have not scheduled an appointment with Dr Nazarian as of yet but their office is checking into my insurance. I had originally scheduled an appointment with Dr Ortiz but my mom, who has been an RN for 40 years, was worried about how they might handle complications. My husband was also not very excited about it. So, now I am searching Dr.s in the US. I've read all of your postings and I hope to follow along so that I can know what to expect. Originally, I was hoping to have the surgery in December because I will also be on vacation (teacher) but from what I can tell from your postings, it'll be about a 40 day wait in order to go through all the hoops. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself....and thank you for all of your info.

Brenda:rolleyes2:

Hi Brenda,

Have you heard anything on your insurance??? My insurance won't cover weight loss procedures at all. I saw Dr. Nazarian and Dr. Owens, both good doctors, but I ultimately went with Dr. Owens for a few reasons. He was a little cheaper and I'm paying cash and he offers a sort of insurance protection plan called BLIS also he didn't require that I do a lot of the pre op tests (i.e. nutritionist, psychologist, uppger GI) since I'm in good health. He does require a 2 week pre op liquid diet (Uggg!!!) as well as the usual post op liquid diet. My surgery is scheduled for Dec 15th. Good luck with your search.

Wendy

Hi ... FYI - I am in the same area searching like you are Dr. Owens seems to have great references on ObesityHelp.com and here, Dr. Krahn has a lot of negative reviews one different sites (check for yourself) for me 2 is enough! Everything is an individual journey so I am sure others have had great experiences. I am just learning of this Out of pockets amounts too and Dr. Owens seems to be reasonable compared to some other providers. Wish you well! I am doing my labs this week and per his office should get a January date for surgery. :ohmy:

Hi,

Did you end up going with Dr. Ownes?? I'm scheduled for surgery Dec 15th.

Wendy

Yes, I did choose Dr. Owens, and I have completed all of the requirements, just waith for authorization now. I have a Tentative surgery date of Jan. 9th. How has your office staff and doctor experience been?

Hi Wendy,

Michele told me about Dr Owens so I gave his office a call...and I am now scheduled to do the surgery on January 5th....I am sooooo excited. Yes, I have to start the Protein Shake diet on Monday...and continue it for 2 weeks...it'll be hard...but I'm sooo excited that I know I can do it! I'm having the surgery at the Rancho office...and yes, I am paying cash. Michele has been keeping me up to date with her surgery, it's been helping me to know what to expect.

Did you already have your surgery on the Dec 15th? Anthing I should know?

Thanks for any info...

Brenda

Yes, I did choose Dr. Owens, and I have completed all of the requirements, just waith for authorization now. I have a Tentative surgery date of Jan. 9th. How has your office staff and doctor experience been?

That is great!!! You must be having surgery at the Orange County facility!!! I'm going to the Rancho Facility and am scheduled for Jan 19th. Is your sugery going to be covered by Insurance??? I didn't have to wait for any authorizations, just a visit with the doctor and I'm ready to go. I'm paying cash. Good luck and keep me posted.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Michele told me about Dr Owens so I gave his office a call...and I am now scheduled to do the surgery on January 5th....I am sooooo excited. Yes, I have to start the Protein shake diet on Monday...and continue it for 2 weeks...it'll be hard...but I'm sooo excited that I know I can do it! I'm having the surgery at the Rancho office...and yes, I am paying cash. Michele has been keeping me up to date with her surgery, it's been helping me to know what to expect.

Did you already have your surgery on the Dec 15th? Anthing I should know?

Thanks for any info...

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

My surgery is Jan 15, but I might have made a typo and put Dec. Sorry. I was originally scheduled for the 5th as well, but postponed to the 15th due to the preop diet and the holidays and all. I don't think I will be able to do it with the holidays. I'm not that disciplined. I've been talking with Michle also, and she is doing so well. It's nice to know what to expect. I didn't have to do any authorizations or anything with the office, they just told me to pay 1/2 the costs 2 weeks before surgery and the other 1/2 to the hospital the day of surgery. Is that what you have to do as well??? The office didn't give me any other details about time etc. They said someone would call me just before the procedure to give me all the details.