Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on Tuesday, Sept 9th. When I woke up from the surgery the nurse told me they repaired a hiatal hernia. I had no clue I had this. I'd like some feed back from someone whose had one. I'm not even sure what questions to ask lol. I had to do some research on the net to find out what it actually was lol.

I had this happen as well, except I didn't find out until a week later at my 1st post op appointment. I was in a lot more pain and discomfort after the sugery than I thought I would be. When the doctor showed me the pictures I was pretty ticked off, why didn't he tell me or my family who were waiting for me? It would have explained a lot, especially why I had so much pain up high. I was also a little annoyed that it didn't show up on my barium swallow. BUT, I was even more annoyed when I received a bill for $2,700 for the hernia repair. Considering my doctor was joking about how it was three stitches and he was already there. I kept thinking how can three stitches cost $2,700? Mostly it was the lack of communication that really bothered me.

Now that it has been repaired I can tell a difference. I no longer choke on Water and a weird feeling I had from time to time is gone.

I actually found the lap band forum while researching a hiatal hernia repair! They repaired mine when I had the band... Was worth the money to get that repaired!

I had my surgery done in Mexico, and they repaired the hiatal hernia at NO EXTRA CHARGE! I came off my stomach medicine that I had been on for about 20 years! It is great!

I also had a hiatal hernia and didn't find out my doc repaired it until my second fill! He should me some pic from surgery and was going through my paper work and just casually mentioned it! I can tell a huge difference from then and now. I used to get really bad heart burn and have chest pains and that all went away when the hernia was repaired. When he told me I had one everything kinda all clicked in my head! I don't believe I was charged any extra for having it fixed either. All I have to say I am glad I don't have it anymore and I am so glad I have the band!!!

You are probably doing great if you are not showing any symptoms at this point. You just should not lift too much for about a month to six weeks. I also had mine repaired during Lap Band surgery (at no extra charge). They found it on my pre-op barium swallow, the surgeon wasn't too sure that it was a hiatal hernia until he was actually in there. Since there are no extra incisions there is no additional surgery pain. They stitch up your diaphgragm where your esophagus passes through it. Your diaphragm is the muscle you use to breathe, belch, throw up, and push waste out of your body. Alot of people have no issues at all after surgery but for some, the diaphragm can be weak for a few days to a week and cause problems with the above functions. In my case, I had problems breathing after moving around even a little bit or after talking for more than a few seconds. I would gasp for breath in these situations and have to sort of pant until I could rest for a while. I also can no longer belch, that was very painful at first because you have so much gas after surgery and I would feel the sensation like I was going to belch then severe pain would move up my esophagus. I still can't burp but it is no longer painful. I also had spasms for about a week after surgery, there was no warning or no apparent cause, it would just suddenly spasm then I would leave out sort of a sob. All in all it was very much worth it.

Edited by Jodi_620

I am glad to hear it is not that bad. I have a hiatel hernia and I will be having it repaired along with my lapband. I have had problems with mine since my first child. I will be happy to have that fixed. Best of luck, enjoy your new band. Kelli

I too had my hiatial hernia repaired when I got banded on the 12th. I never knew I had one until a week before surgery when my doc did the endoscopy. He said it was "huge" and I had it a long time. The day after the surgery he told me he repaired it with a couple of stitches and I shouldn't have any problems with heartburn anymore. I have been taking protonix for heartburn for about 5 years. Hopefully, I can get off those now. I am having trouble taking deep breaths like my ribs hurt. Don't know if that's the hernia repair or what.

I had a repair as well. I never had any symptoms of the hernia and never suffered from reflux or heartburn until after banding. My recovery was fine except for he left shoulder/neck pain that went on for about 5 weeks and was pretty bad. I am in great shape now.

My doctor told me in our initial consultation that he repairs the hiatal hernia on about 80% of his patients. So I was aware that this was a possibility during sugery. I did have it repaired, but my doc did not charge extra. Thank goodness. But my main source of pain was the incision where the port is and the gas.

Heather's post reminded me of one point that I had forgotten. I was told that the shoulder pain that most people get from Laproscopic Surgery may last a little longer when you have both Hernia and Lap Band surgeries together because you are opened up a little longer.

I had surgery on Tuesday, Sept 9th. When I woke up from the surgery the nurse told me they repaired a hiatal hernia. I had no clue I had this. I'd like some feed back from someone whose had one. I'm not even sure what questions to ask lol. I had to do some research on the net to find out what it actually was lol.

I had the same thing happen to me. The funny thing is I have never had one symptom for the hernia. I see my doc Wed and will be asking many questions

Hey! I had a Hiatial Hernia repaired also at the time I was banded. My Doctor told me beforehad that it was determined that I had one when I had that Endoscopy. He said that the hernia was what was causing me to have the heartburn. He said the Hernia is a part of my upper stomach that protrudes into my thorax through a small rip or several small rips in my diaphram. I have noticed a marked improvement in my heartburn!

Jenean

Banded 6/30/08

339/313.5/160

I had my hiatial hernia repaired on 9/9/08 when I was banded. It did make the surgery a little longer. It's a genetic condition for me; my dad had it - never made it through a meal without throwing up! Both my brother and my sister have it also. I never had heartburn, but my throat closed up and I couldn't swallow food, from scarring from the acid coming out of my stomach. My esophagus had to be stretched out and I was put on Prevacid for life. So I am glad to be off that med. And well worth the repair not to get esophageal cancer!