Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in ribcage area

I have had pain in my ribcage since my surgery on 8-21. Mine is on the right side and that is the side of my port. I had to have a full incision with my banding, but don't know why mine is on the right rather than the left like most people. Anyway this pain is dull most of the time and has gotten some better, but I can really tell when I lift a little too much (like my 21 lbs granddaughter) or strain doing laundry or something. I think this is going to get better, but just slowly... However you can be sure I'm going to ask my doctor on Tuesday when I go in for a check... I am ready for it to be gone..

Mrs. Bubba, you mean you were "opened up" instead of banded laparoscopically? If so, do you know why? It takes MUCH longer to heal that way! :thumbup:

Yes, I know why. I Have had 3 stomach surgeries in the past. 26 years ago I had gastroplasty (stomach stapling) done. A week later by incision blew apart so emergency surgery.... Then I lost weight.... too much, as the opening grew shut and I could not get any nutrition at all... So a year and a half later I had to have a reversal as I was almost dead from malnutrition and starvationand weighed 120 lbs at 5' 9" tall. I had been pregnant, too, and lost 130 pounds during pregnancy.. Baby was fine, but I was a mess.... So then they put me on a diet to gain weight and expected my starving body to know when to stop gaining... So fast forward 24 years and I was 387 pounds and becoming unable to get around . I didn't think I could get banded, but after a long visit with the gal at the clinic I was told they would try. Everything checked out and surgery was 8-21... But there was so much scar tissue he had to open me up. They say the banding went perfectly, just needed to get at the stomach... My prognosis is good for a great weight loss.... I'm praying they are right... I'm 38 pounds down with about 160 to go. Depends on who you are. My number is different from the doctors..... Hope I didn't bore you....

No you didn't bore me at all! That's interesting. I'm so glad they could do the band for you! You have really struggled, haven't you? Thank God your baby was ok all those years ago. I bet you were scared to death! take it easy on yourself and let yourself heal well, ok? I think you'll do marvelously with the band!

Thanks... Would you mind telling me how you get all that information and the ticker thing on the bottom of your posts? I'm not a big computer person and I can't seem to figure it out...

I had my surgery on the 15 of Sept. and I am still super sore on both side of my lower rib cage. It hurts when I strain to get up from a chair or roll over in bed. I can't hardly stand to lay on my sides yet, it hurts too bad to try to even roll over to get on my side. Is that gas pain?

Also, how long before you should get to feeling better. I have read where some had no problem and when back to work the next day. I am 5 days after surgery and I still feel horable.