Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in ribcage area

I was banded on 9/5/08 and started to experience a pain in my upper, left ribcage area a day ago. It especially hurts when I take a deep breath or cough. My doctor and I are from Houston, I am currently evacuated due to IKE and am worried my doctor won't be available over the next few days. I have tried some Gas-X, walked, drank some hot tea, removed my bra and no relief. Has any one else felt this and how can I fix it????

did you lift more than 15 pounds while evacuating? did you hit something or jar yourself somehow?

Not a doc here but wondering if it is just stress and an injury from evacuating? You know, in times of stress, we do stuff and then later think..."hmmm where did I get that bruise" or so on? Wondering if she maybe just hurt herself in the rush to get out of town.

And she isn't that far post op...could be trapped gas (yes, still!) or just normal healing. Gas hurts when you breathe deeply....

Unless she's been vomiting etc it's not likely its her band...and it shouldn't be her port, either. (depends on where the doc placed it)

I was mostly just trying to get more info on her symptoms and what she thinks MAY be causing it (a lot of times We know, even if we don't realize we know!)

Thanks! The reason I asked that is because I fell 5 days out of surgery. However, my dr didn't think I hurt anything but I've had pain/discomfort in my left ribcage ever since. He checked it again a couple of weeks ago and said that he did place the band a little high and that could be causing the pain. He told me that it would probably get better as I lose weight. Not sure if I believe that, though. It's sewn into muscle and I don't think my muscle is going to go lower when I lose the weight. I could be wrong, who knows!

When did you get your band? If your doc checked you out, and it hasn't been TOO long, it's possible you just bruised yourself or got a tiny hairline fracture and you are healing.

I have really tried not to lift anything more than 15 pounds I do feel it is more likely gas but I am just getting worried because it's been the same pain for a day and I am not sure how to get rid of it.

If it's gas it's likely you just have to wait it out. Does it hurt high up or towards the bottom of your ribs? Do you know where your doc placed your port? You aren't even 2 weeks post op; I think it's likely just part of the healing process. Does it respond to pain meds like tylenol? (sorry to ask so much I'm just trying to do a "blind" assessment!)

I just took some pain meds so we will see how it works.My port is by my band... upper, center part of my torso. I will keep you all posted to see what happens. Thank you for your quick responses.

ChristiOT good I hope the pain med takes care of it. If so, it's probably just gas or stress. I hope so

And Freedom0702 2 months is a LONG time to have pain. I think I'd have to force my surgeon to xray me or something to MAKE SURE everything really is ok!

Good luck to both of you!

Your pain is probably not from the port like mine. My port is more on the left side than in the middle. Hope the pain meds work and that it is just gas and will soon pass (a little play on words, LOL). Good luck!

Yeah, I think it is a long time too, but everytime I tell the dr or nurse about it they just brush me off. I called the dr's office on Friday and left a message for his nurse to tell him that either he move the port or take it out, I'm tired of it hurting all the time. She hasn't called back yet. (I also have a cold and all that coughing was making it even more sore).

OK so I don't want him to actually take it out, but I would like him to move the port so I can do my housework and exercise without it hurting.

Something has to be done! I guess I'll have to be more assertive with them.

Sorry to be so whiny since this wasn't even about me.

Edited by freedom0702

I'm sure ChristiOT doesn't mind. Stick by your guns and advocate for yourself. As professionals they should know better...pain is what the person experiencing it SAYS it is. Shame on them! Please post and let me know what they say, ok? They are being neglectful. If the nurse blows you off again, demand the office manager and tell her you want the surgeon. Go get 'em!

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel like I'm being a big baby just complaining all the time. Especially after I fought so hard to get the band. But I didn't expect to be in pain all the time and from what I read and hear at our support group this is NOT normal. I'll let you know when I speak with someone at the dr's office tomorrow.