Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band on THE VIEW

I missed the show, and it is in the background everyday at work (of course I hadn't been on this board in a few weeks to find out)

My guess Starr had Gastric bypass surgery. A)she has lost her weight extremely fast. My guess over a hundred pounds in less than a year--can't do that with the band very often and would be shocked if she did it on diet and excercise alone.

B.) They did a show recently about plastic surgery for people who had lost a lot of weight and she seemed hesitant but, finally brought up the fact she was concerned about scarring due to African Americans having a high rate of keloid scars (those were her words, although, I am about as white as you can get lol and I have them too) She seemed like she was relating or knew what the Gastric bypass people were referring to.

Someday, I'm gonna get me an agent and be famous. I can't imagine a better way to turn all the pain I suffered from being fat into some cash-ola. Then I'll pay for Delarla's port.

Megan

While we're on the subject, what about Oprah? Funny how she has never

been able to keep the weight off til now. I even asked the first surgeon

I went to here (before finding out I'd have to self pay and went to Mx!)

if he thought she had had gastric or lap band. He thought she had had something done.

Of course he is a bariatric surgeon so that would have benefited him

and all others if she admitted to it.

Rhonda

I'll probably talk to him if he comes online again. I haven't seen him since that day. 12 step program entered my mind, either that or some severe counceling. Whatever was going on in his life, it sounds like he needed some help that he finally got.

I've wondered about Oprah myself...

I want Wynonna to get banded. She's been on Oprah struggling like a poor ole beat dog trying to get her weight off. I hate it, because you feel like such a failure, like something inside you is terribly wrong. I really hate it for her. Go get banded WY! I know you love to eat, girl! This is IT!

I'll bet Oprah got ballooned, no scars, temporary, got the wieght off and started working with Bob Greene again to get toned up. She DOES look great, though.

Sarah, be careful out there on the WorldWideWeb!! Keep it online, okay?

Hadn't thought of the balloon for Oprah. Definately something to consider.

I'm always careful. I met my boyfriend online, but when we met in person, it was in a nice neutral public location :). But it's 3 years later and all's well. :P

How sad that the girl who had the bypass's sister died from having the same surgery! They didn't talk nearly enough about the lap-band & its advantages; it would have been a great "counter point" to the dangers of bypass. Bummer. I thought Dr. Gabriel was going to be on. Oh well.

my two cents ... I watch The View a few times a week because I work from home most of the year -except summer. I really think she -Star was banded. And yes she won't talk about it and says so. In the last two months she really has lost alot . I think she lost a good amout before her wedding - probably held off on a fill to stabilize for the gown and enjoy some food and drink for the wedding and honeymoon and then once home and settled she had another fill and this is the result of regular 4 week check ups with a fill . I saw a picture of her in a magazine in a bathing suit and I saw what looked like the same scars as We all have from laproscopic surgery. I know that I have held off when I knew I was going away so I wasn't sooo restricted. I too read the article in the New Yorker about the woman on the show. The reporter who wrote it sat in the waiting room of my aftercare doctors at NYU to talk to patients. She also went to the support groups to interview people. The PA who sometimes does my fills at the office told me. The office was not too thrilled with the whole thing and the article.- at least according to him. I think it was not bad but not good either in really explaining the band and what people 's experiences were. We all have our own story. Anyway , the time is coming that it should really be put out there in a big way ...it is soooo much safer than gastric bypass and not alot of people really are as familiar with it. The gastric bypass seems to be much more known to the general public.

Kelly Ann, I've been waiting for Starr to come out of the closet, too! Her weight loss really seems on a par with a bandster experience, doesn't it?

What a boost for the band that would be. I don't understand why all these celebs choose RNY when the band is available. What on earth are they thinking? Carnie Wilson I'll excuse because she had her surgery quite a while ago, but Al Roker should have gone a different way.

When some stars come out of the bandster closet we'll see more publicity about the band, but probably not before. It's just not dramatic enough; but of course, that's what we love about it. :)

I think the band might be like the secret plastic surgery the stars use. They can quietly go off and have it done, and we all know how well the scars can heal, so its not really noticable. Besides they have their pictures "touched" for magazine pictures. That clear flawless skin we see in magazines is the results of professional makeup and photo touch up.

I watched the view, I was very disappointed with the segmant on the wls. They talked about the "emotional" issues mostly with wls. And the one lady that had the band talked about how everyone turned on her. To be honest looking at the before and after picture, and listening to her talk about likeing to go out and "socialize" I think she might have turned a bit "wild" compared to her old self. I personally don't think I'll go wild, but my husband has already comminented in a joking manner that I'm going to be dangerous. Before my last daughter was born I had lost down to around 210, my lowest adult weight. And I admit I was starting to feel a bit full of myself :). My husband loved all the self confidence that was emerging..and loved the fact that I wanted to dress a bit more appealing. (rarely wearing the huge t-shirt collection I tend to prefer) And I joke with my 13 year old that I'll be stealing her clothes. (not likely since she likes those 'punk or goth" look stuff).

I really wish they would give the coverage to the lapband that it deserves though. Any of you want to go on "i LOST it" when you are done? It seems like at least one of the two people featured on there everyday has had gastric bypass. (I actually saw a old highschool classmate on I lost it, if anyone watches the show he was the long blonde haired nudist LOL)

Melissa

(I actually saw a old highschool classmate on I lost it, if anyone watches the show he was the long blonde haired nudist LOL)

Melissa

I saw that episode! And you went to high shcool with that guy?! What a trip!

I like that show. I was watching it all the time just before I found out about the Band. I kept seeing these people who had hope. sigh. Feels good to have it now, just hard being patient while the fat melts. :)

I to saw the show yesterday and wasn't very happy with it. I agree the Lap-band needs to be out there more. Doctors don't advertise it nor do they do alot of bands. I tell everyone about it...I don't care.. I look like I am no different then someone who goes to WW or Jenny or any of those weigh loss centers. They needed help and so do I.

I do think Star had the by-pass though. I remember hearing something about it after her wedding was over. It would be great if she was a bandster though!

I am one week post op and have lost 11 pounds the first week and 25 since my first appt with the Dr so I LOVE MY BAND!!!!

Yeah, and isn't it funny how we see things differently than other people. I didn't remember him as being fat. I remebmer he played the saxaphone, and that he always seemed to be smiling. Isn't it strange that he remembers himself as being the biggest kid and always unhappy?

I've been packing for camping all day (we are going camping at stone mtn in the morning.) And I unearthed some old vhs tapes that were video of my child hood. The five year old wanted to watch them...so I put them in for her. Two things I noticed, I wasn't fat (though I was always on a diet) and that I have a very heavy southern accent. I sounded like a little hick. LOL The more I thought about how I was always on a diet during my teen years the madder I got. I finally had to go walk it off, blamming my mom for my insecurities is easy but useless. Gotta deal in the here and now....and I have numerous scales and tests that confirm it this time...hehehe I"m fat! LOL.

Melissa

I think Starr had the lap band, not like ours, but the one that has some rerouting done with it.

I also think Oprah has done something too, her weight still yoyos a little so I wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't had the band done. Heck with her $$$ she could go to Mx or Costa Rico in coginto, dress down in some old fumpy clothes and get by with it. She's struggled too many years to be keeping it off that easy. Plus everyday she looks different, somedays much heavier than others. She still looks good, she's a beautiful woman inside and out, IMO.

No more than they had on there about WLS they could have skipped that part. I did enjoy the lady that walked around all those tables of food, discussing the different types of Protein and fat. I also thought it was quite interesting when she said it didn't have to be 64oz of Water, ANY KIND of liquid would do, just be sure to get in the 8 glasses a day.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________