Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Im plateauing!

I had the lap band put in on april 17, 2008. I have lost 96 pounds since then. But over the last 3-4 weeks, I havent lost a thing. What do I do to get the weight loss started again? I have 35 pounds left to lose and want to get it all off. I only eat seafoods, chicken, vegetable daily. I usually never snack. Occasionally have an Atkins low carb shake. I also eat cottage cheese for Breakfast. I am working out about 3 times a week. For about 45 minutes each time. I always do cardio for 30 min of that time. :smile2:Am I not working out enough? FYI, Ive never eaten potatoe, rice, breads or anything like that after my surgery. I stay away from carbs and really dont miss it at all. I usually use the elliptical machine 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe I need a new exercise routine? Or switch back and forth?

Edited by drgates

Oh my goodness honey, your body is probably trying to catch up with the outstanding weight loss you've had. Keep up the wonderful work, you will start dropping again.

from other threads i have read, it seems you need to trick your body, it has been suggested to have a couple of cheat days, with no exercise and eating a litlle junk then back to what you were doing and it will kickstart your body again to lose weight. :thumbup:

WOW!! Congrats on your AWESOME weightloss!!! I sure hope I can say the same thing... Have you been exercising since day one? Do you feel like you have been dieting the entire time or just eating good foods and letting the band do what it is supposed to. Also, what has your fills been like....ie: quick from the start, or a slow progression of small fills? Sorry for all the questions, but you have really had GREAT success in such a short period of time....

In response to your question - from what I have read, since I am still preop, it is normal to hit a plateau, and sometimes it takes a couple weeks for it to go away. I would probably try to do a little junk food for one or two days and see if that helps...if that doesn't work, maybe removing all sugars/carbs from your diet? If you don't want to do junk food, maybe just mixing up the good foods you eat now... instead of cottage cheese, do eggs, etc. Good luck and keep up the great work!!!

NO to the JUNK FOOD--NO NO NO NO!!

But do try adding some calories of healthy foods. Also, I find having some red meat often bumps up my metabolism.

Try mixing up the exercise. Your body has gotten comfortable. Weight training builds muscle which burns the fat. Is there a dance class you can do? exercise tape at home? The elliptical machine is a killer--gets you going. Lately I have been doing interval training on the treadmill....I walk for 4-5 minutes, run for 1-2, walk again for 4-5, run again...and so on for 30 or so minutes.

And---patience and prayer. You have done wonderfully--your body needs to catch up. It WILL happen.

But not if you taste junk food and the old habits start to click in.

Good luck.

I would never go back to junk food! I am very, very strict with my foods ever since getting banded. I do not have hardly any carbs. Never touch potatoe, rice, breads, nothing like that. I only eat fish, chicken and very occasional pork if I can handle that. I think maybe I need to change my exercise routine. Maybe my body is just used to the elliptical machine. I do 30 minutes of that 4 times a week. I will have to switch and try something else.

I agree, you really shouldn't go back to junk food, no doubt.... Maybe just try to mix up good foods, but change them up a bit. Good luck and I hope your plateau busts very very soon!!