Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Cywes v. Dr. Baptista, Jacksonville, FL (Long Post)

At the last group meeting I went to, one of the staff at (the new location) Jacksonville Weight Loss Ctr. mentioned that patients can choose which surgeon they prefer to perform their surgery. This normally wouldn't be an issue for me, since I was assigned Dr. Cywes (he's a pediatric surgeon, and since I'm only 18, anatomically speaking as a woman I'm still technically "not mature" until my mid-20's due to bone ossification, organ development, etc.) and I would usually just stick with him.

Unfortunately, the man gets on my ever-loving nerves.

At my first appointment with him, it seemed like he did a lot of talking, and wasn't really listening, and jumped to some weird conclusions from what I was saying. He also recommended that instead of going to be by myself and read or listen to music when I'm stressed, I yell at my mother when she and I disagree on something. :D I... have no idea what kind of home he was raised in, but I need a place to live for at least the next year or so.... It also almost felt like he was picking on me (to try and get me motivated, I'm sure, but it was still weird that he would pick on my clothes), but it also seemed like his speeches were rehearsed and the same for every patient, "standard-issue". Of course I told my sisters and they think his speeches ("I can only guarantee you will fail", "You can't make the choice to have a well-fitting tucked in shirt", "You can't cross your legs like this", etc.) are hysterical. At my second meeting with him he talked even longer and kind of gave a speech/lecture on the cultural evolution of eating habits and carb addiction (it also irritated me that he got some of the speech wrong, but that's because I'm a giant nerd and knew that stuff already) in addition to his regular speeches, but I wouldn't mind a long appointment if it seemed like he really listened and heard what his patients were saying at all. The irritating behaviors were all back, but with the addition of using individuals as examples in front of the group; which again wouldn't be bad if he wasn't jumping to these odd conclusions about everyone's responses to his questions/prompts and if he wasn't making examples out of the people he solo'd out. All in all the group meeting was 2 hours long. I would go into more depth, but it would just turn into a rant where I make a lot of jokes re: what happened that are really off-topic to what I'm trying to find out, here.

I'm in the weird position where I know what he is trying to say, and being able to glean that good information from the repetitive annoying crap, and why he is trying to say it in the way that he is. I also know that a different method of delivery would be more effective in the "piss you off to motivate you" plan, at least for me; but that doesn't stop him from pissing me off fruitlessly and it doesn't stop him from ruining my day by getting me so angry and, I feel, wasting my time.

But I've heard he's an excellent surgeon (I've also heard that he is decidedly not an excellent surgeon, but there's definitely far more praise than criticism), and there is the pediatrics thing to consider, as well as the fact that I know Dr. C doesn't mean to come across as mean, that it's just his way of speaking and presenting information, blah blah blah. It's still annoying. I once flunked a highschool biology class because I couldn't stand the teacher, and I got an A when I had to go to summer school and redo it and passed the college equivalency exam for Biology that same year. Biology itself is not the problem for me. I reeeeeeaaaally don't want to take that same risk unless I know Dr. C is the better surgeon, because there's really no summer school for f****ing up a surgical procedure. There is only sadness, misery, and despair; I'd rather not be a sad, sad toaster made of glass post-op.

Dr. Baptista on the other hand is a total unknown for me regarding surgical skill and demeanor in a one-on-one setting. That really freaks me out a little bit. If I'm going to use him for my surgery, I have to know what I'm getting into. At the informational meeting I went to before I started my appointments at Jax Weight Loss, Dr. B seemed much friendlier and made a lot more jokes, but he also talked about twice as much as Dr. C does. :biggrin: So much for not wasting time... There is also the benefit that I can actually understand Dr. B's accent better than Dr. C's Aussie one, which I guess other people have the opposite problem? It also seems like Dr. C has more stringent standards for pre-op weight and liver size than Dr. B has, though I can't really speak for that since I haven't met with Dr. Baptista.

Is there anybody with a specific recommendation or warning against one or both of these docs? I'd really appreciate the information, especially if anyone has experience with both men. Thanks!!

I feel both Dr's are equally competent surgeons. Have you tried checking out other surgeons in the area. There are quite a few. If you don't feel comfortable and/or respect their opinions on what we have done to our bodies then maybe they are not the right surgeons for you. I have been seeing them since March 2008 and I have had a great experience with both.

Lorraine

Both Doctors are really good. They have two totally different personalities. Dr. Cywes does a wonderful job making you mad but that only makes you want to do well and prove him wrong. Dr. Baptista has a great bedside manner. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.

I am scheduled to be banded by Dr. Baptista on November 18th....I would be very grateful to Panama or Healthy if you could provide more details about your experience. I'd also like to know if you went to Memorial or to the surgery center. Thanks!

Hi...

Dr. Baptista did my surgery on October 21st......it would not have mattered which Doctor did the surgery because I have the upmost respect for each of them. I have known Dr. Cywes longer and have a lot of admiration for the work he does with obese adolescents. I don't think it is possible to go wrong with either doctor.

54lbs and counting!!!!!!

Annie

Panama Annie,

Wow! 54 lbs. Congratulations! Did you go to the surgery center? If yes, what were your impressions?

How long were you in recovery? How many days before you were able to resume normal activities. I have just a few days to go....so scared, but so excited, too!

Were you hungry prior to your first fill?

Thanks for any info.

hey i have dr.b and he is awesome. i feel like he actually listens. you might enjoy having him . he has never tried the lets be rude to get you to lose weight thing i think hes awesome i would recommend him anyday.

I attended a locally created support group, where many of the members had both of these doctors. Dr. C clearly came across as not having the best bedside manner, but was an excellent surgeon and very good at motivating you to use the tool he has placed in you.

I had my band placed with a different surgeon. However, upon revising to the sleeve in Mexico, I switched to Dr. B to follow up with me here in Jacksonville as he has had some experience with the sleeve. I have found him to be very good. I was having some pretty severe medical problems about a month ago in which other doctors quickly assumed I was having gall bladder issues. However, Dr. B disagreed and after exploring my symptoms more in depth, he was the only doctor to actually figure out what was wrong with me and help me to finally get healthy again.

I actually have Dr. Cywes and I was the first single incision lap band that he did... I personally think he is great. He is very tough and expects a lot out of you but I really respect and appreciate him pushing you to be the best... guess that's the military side of me. He motivates me and pushes me to lose more than his goals for me each visit. His bedside manner is a little rough around the edges if you aren't prepared for it... but he is a really wonderful doctor and is VERY smart!

I had Surgery in June 2006 with Dr Cywes as Dr Baptista was not part of the practice yet. The Surgery was well and I did very well. Cywes does talk alot and pushes you. The only problems I have is after the Surgery there is basically no Maintenance that they push that is reasonable and affordable and basically have no desire to work with unless you are the new patient. .He is one of those doctors who yes is good, however, became to big too fast and forgot how he used to be.. Make sure you find a Doctor who shows intererst in you after the fact as well as before the fact.....

Rick Kravette

I actually have Dr. Cywes and I was the first single incision lap band that he did... I personally think he is great. He is very tough and expects a lot out of you but I really respect and appreciate him pushing you to be the best... guess that's the military side of me. He motivates me and pushes me to lose more than his goals for me each visit. His bedside manner is a little rough around the edges if you aren't prepared for it... but he is a really wonderful doctor and is VERY smart!

Single incision??? This definetly sounds like something I'd be interested in!!!

I too was banded by Dr B on 6/19/09 and I had a great experience with him. He made me cry on my first appt with him..and not in a bad way...just because he was kind and very supportive. His bedside manner is great. The practice also has the monthly support meetings for you to go to as well.