Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

struggling with what to do.

Guest ohgary

Guest ohgary

Quick Bio, late 40's male, about 400lbs, High BP, sleep Apenea, high colesteral (now under control). Both knees shot and bad back.

Always been heavy, Never had an issue with it, Now need to drop 100-150+ lbs. Exercise isnt going to do it, Knee's/back makes walking hard and very quickly stop any activities.

Heading to OSU for one of the info sessions but concerned about the question what diet have you tried. Really haven't tried any and the few I had me eating less food than my rabbits do. That doesnt last long for me. Never had any luck with the few diets I tried except when I was on redux. (wife didnt like me on redux, said it made me mean and then it was pulled from shelves.).

So any chance of me getting accepted, I guess I am looking at lapband as a forced diet plan with no turning back.

Honestly? If I were you I'd give weight watchers a shot before I had surgery. If you haven't ever really "dieted" you might find you like it and don't need the surgery. It's come a long way; at your weight and height you'll get a LOT of food each day, and they have 2 different diets to choose from. Check it out before you have surgery.

Lap band isn't a forced diet. It's a tool and you can bypass it or "eat around the band" if you aren't committed to "dieting" while on it. You're going to have to deal with your head hunger.

I agree that you should try dieting first even if only for a short time whether it be Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or just watching what you eat. As RestlessMonkey said, the Lap Band is not forced dieting, it takes commitment from you and if you have never dieted before then you don't know if you can make that commitment.

I think Gastric Bypass is more like "forced dieting with no turning back".

ohgary, the medical problems you mentioned will help you qualify for lapband surgery, however you will most likely have to do a six month diet and doctor visits to get approved by your insurance company. I had problems with my back hurting and it kept me from doing so many things. I had the surgery in Jan 08 and Ive lost 68 pounds and now my back does not hurt anymore. I will be honest it is not always easy to stick to the plan. I have good days and bad days with my food choices. You will find that everyone is different and some have better control and like to exercise more than others. I hate to exercise, but I am now doing Water aerobics and it is so easy on your body. My advice is to check out the seminar and arm yourself with a lot of questions. You might see if you can attend a support group meeting to get the "skinny" on everything. ha Good luck and best wishes.

My office manager was around 375lbs she was going to have the surgery with me. She had never really tried a diet so she started on one the same time I started all the testing and stuff. She has now lost 50lbs and still doing good. Give dieting a try. A large percent don't keep the weight off or don't lose but you might be in the percentage that does which would be great.

i'm sure i'm going to get a lot of flack for saying this but....

i was banded in april and have lost over 40 pounds without any physical activity. you can lose weight without exercise but it IS a part of being healthy.

for me, i wanted to wait until i lost a fair amount of weight and reached a plateau before i brough exercise into my routine. that's about where i am now. i went from losing 4 pounds a week down to 1 pound a week. i just signed up for a "beginner's running" course that lasts 8 weeks and should have me able to run a 5k by the end of the course.

if your insurance covers the surgery you should have no problems getting approved. you have to remember though... this process isn't just all physical there are a LOT of mental obstacles too.

you mentioned a diet of eating less than a rabbit and not being successful. well... after the surgery, you'll probably still be eating less than a rabbit. right now i can eat just under a 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day. i have found it EXTREMELY difficult to listen to my stomach and stop eating when my eyes, tastebuds and brain really, really want to keep eating.

when i listen to the brain i end up PB'ing. when i listen to my stomach i end up depressed. i'm slowing learning to savor and appreciate the food i CAN eat instead of being upset about the amount of food i CAN'T eat.

good luck on your journey!

Guest ohgary

All,

Thanks for the notes and comments. I know its a mind set I need to work out. I have tried some of the Jenny and lean cuisine meals and they taste like crap. Sorry but 1oz of oatmeal is not a Breakfast thats whats left in the bowl when your done. I looked at WW but I dont need someone to weigh be and give me a good boy yoiu lost 2lbs this week and since I dont make the meals at home a lot of the cooking info goes to waste. Ill need to see what happens tomorrow at the meetings.

Thanks for you help.

My suggestion is to find something that you can do to get some exercise in. This may not work for you, but for me, riding a bike is much easier than jogging, or even walking. Someone in your neighborhood has a dusty bike in the garage that you could try riding on your street to see if it works for you. I've noticed that exercise levels are as much or more important to my weight loss than close adherance to the diet.

ohgary respectfully then, the lap band isn't for you because, at least to start, your "meals" will top out at about 2 oz each after you've gone through whatever liquid diet your surgeon requires. Even with more radical weight loss surgery you will have to modify your habits. Since "diets" aren't for you, perhaps a therapist can get you headed in the right direction. Unless you're willing to work, there's no magic pill, surgery, or elixir that will make us thin.

Guest ohgary

ohgary respectfully then, the lap band isn't for you because, at least to start, your "meals" will top out at about 2 oz each after you've gone through whatever liquid diet your surgeon requires. Even with more radical weight loss surgery you will have to modify your habits. Since "diets" aren't for you, perhaps a therapist can get you headed in the right direction. Unless you're willing to work, there's no magic pill, surgery, or elixir that will make us thin.

Well, back to mind set. I know with a I diet I can cheat, with lap band that option goes away.

Guest ohgary

My suggestion is to find something that you can do to get some exercise in. This may not work for you, but for me, riding a bike is much easier than jogging, or even walking. Someone in your neighborhood has a dusty bike in the garage that you could try riding on your street to see if it works for you. I've noticed that exercise levels are as much or more important to my weight loss than close adherance to the diet.

I have a bike but, Just getting on and off the box causes enough pain in my knees that thats not an option right now. I am looking at trying to find a pool but live in a rural area and closest YMCA is 25 miles away.

Oh no it doesn't though! :thumbup:

You can eat things like milkshakes, Cookies, candy creamy Soups etc that are high calorie and go through like a charm. OR you can just "not go" to get a fill. I have the band and untill I get some fills, I can eat anything I did before the surgery....my stomach mouth is pretty wide open. That's the point. If you want to eat like you did, you will defeat the band. Once it is working you will be satisfied with 1-2 ounces of meat etc. Until you're ready for that, don't get the band. It will just frustrate you instead of help you.

Where you are, a lot of us have been. Band won't help with mind set. Just "real" physiological hunger. You have to do the work yourself on the rest of it, including 1 egg will be Breakfast, not bacon eggs and hashbrowns (for example)

Ohgary,

I usually don't chim in on these discussions, but would like to share my view. If you read around on this site you will see how you need to eat to make the band work. Make no mistake it is work. Restless Monkey is right there are easy ways around it that if you are not committed you will subcome to .

I personally am not banded yet, but when I decide that this was the tool I needed to aid me in weight loss I began eating like I had the band already. I cut my food into small pieces and chew, chew, chew, and when i am done chewing I chew a little more. By the time I have had a cup of food I am tierd of eating and satisfied with the amount I have eaten. I am not full, but am also not hungry. It has taken three months to get us to the idea that I am not going to starve on 1/3 to 1/4 of what I am use to eating. I eat what ever I want just in very small portions. I also don't dirnk for one hour after eating. You need to be able to practice what you see on here and prepare yourself before you just jump in.

Good luck on what ever you do decide.

Sorry but 1oz of oatmeal is not a breakfast thats whats left in the bowl when your done. I looked at WW but I dont need someone to weigh be and give me a good boy yoiu lost 2lbs this week and since I dont make the meals at home a lot of the cooking info goes to waste.

The comments you made above seem like you are not ready to make the commitment that will have to come with the lapband. You can cheat and it sounds to me like you will fall in to that mode. When you come to the point that some of us are at and you will do anything you can to just feel better and will not make excuses for your shortcomings you will be ready. That sounds harsh but I have been there,,, and now I am here... sick to death of feeling lousy and sick to death of being unable to play with the grandkids like I would like to. Sick to death!!! and so sick you feel like you will die if you don't do something different. That would be me.

Today I got some answers about my surgery and it is scheduled for the 16th. Thank God! My doctor does not require a diet before surgery. I really have mixed feelings about that. But I am finally scheduled!

Thank you for all your support and patiently answered questions.

Laura