Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd X, Open Me Up or Not?

I had my pre-op appointment the other day. It was my second one of the year. It went well, but there was one question I can’t seem to answer.

Do I want to be opened up if they can’t do it laprscopically?

The first time I went in it was an adamant no. I didn’t want the scarring, I didn’t have the time saved up for the amount of recovery time required for an open surgery.

This time the time element remains the same, but this time I’m not so sure that they can do it. I’ve already been to the table only to be sent home cut in and un-banded. I’m not sure if I can go through this again.

I don’t know what to do. I’ve thought about it to the point that I’ve ignored the whole thing, but I know that come September 15th, I have to tell the Dr, before we go into surgery.

What would you do? I know you can’t make the decision for me, but maybe your reasons as to why or why not may spark some conviction.

You know I should be head over heels right now. I should have that tiniest bit of worry, but the joy of finally getting into surgery should overwhelm that. Last time I was elated. I felt like I conquered something. This time I’m worried that the fates don’t want me to have this surgery without huge down payment.

One of the consents I signed before my surgery was the possibility of my laproscopic surgery turning into open surgery. I signed figuring the chance of that happening was minuscule, at least I hoped it was, and the doctor was able to place my band by laproscope.

The head surgeon from a different group, but the same hospital, only does gastric bypass, and he only does it with open surgery. He said it would require a four inch incision. I can't imagine the lap band would require more, but you should ask your doctor how big the incision is with open surgery.

After coming this far, I was not about to give up just because they might have to open me up, but that's me.

I know it's hard to decide, so I'll send you a cyber best wishes wish! :lol:

It is extremely rare that they would have to open you for Lap Band surgery. It is designed to be done laprascopially only.

Yeah, but since I've already been in for surgery and they were unable to do it. I'm not so confident that they will be able to get me banded without opening me up. But....it happens to rarely so I dunno. Thanks.

What is the problem they are having? Trouble getting through fat, size of liver, etc?

The head surgeon from a different group, but the same hospital, only does gastric bypass, and he only does it with open surgery. He said it would require a four inch incision. I can't imagine the lap band would require more, but you should ask your doctor how big the incision is with open surgery.

After coming this far, I was not about to give up just because they might have to open me up, but that's me.

I know it's hard to decide, so I'll send you a cyber best wishes wish! :lol:

It will go from my belly button to my stomach. It will be 2 days in the hospital and about 3 weeks out of work. I only have enough time for a week and a half, but like you said I've come this far...

I also have some other emotional issues with the scarring. So, I will have to get through them if I'm going to be able to consent to an open surgery.

What is the problem they are having? Trouble getting through fat, size of liver, etc?

The area around my stomach is "thin". I carry all of my weight around the belly button area. When they went in last time, they said the fat in that area prevented a proper sewing of the band to my stomach. Apparently, the instrument started to bend. I was adamant about not having an open surgery last time. (Or else I'd be banded now.) So, she pulled out and had me lose more weight.

I think I weighed about 339 when I went in. I'm roughly at 300 now. I hope that is enough of a difference, but really the fat around the lower half of my stomach isn't gone. It's softer, but it's still there. The rest of me is looking good though. :lol:

I've thought about the possibility of saying no to the open surgery, trying to lose more wieght or even trying a brand new Dr. I'm not sure. Right now I have so much emotion surrounding this surgery that I'm not sure I'm thinking logically.

Sorry you're going through that, I honestly couldn't say what I would choose in your shoes. If it was possible with insurance timing, the surgeon, and my willpower.. I'd try to lose some more weight before trying again.. just to be safe than sorry.

However, sounds like you lost quite a bit since the last try which could only help your odds.

Is there anyway they can check with ultrasound or something BEFORE you go under to see if it's going to be easier?

I'm sorry you don't have that kind of time to take off work; that's a big obstacle. Then you're issues with scaring is a problem too.

I, of course, don't know how much scaring you'll have, but from my previous surgery with laproscope, I only have a tiny white line as scars, and unless you look for them, they're virtually invisible. Those were from back in the days with staples or stitches instead of glue. Do you know how long the scar is from belly button to stomach. I just tried to measure mine (you can't get any less scientific than this), I used my thumb to the knuckle, and it looks like about four inches. I feel like I'm scared from the heavy weight I'm carrying around, and actually the weight, for me, is much worse than a scar.

I hope you know I'm trying to persuade you. I'm just telling you how I came to my decision. We're all different, and I understand you have real issues about scarring, which is understandable.

Sorry you're going through that, I honestly couldn't say what I would choose in your shoes. If it was possible with insurance timing, the surgeon, and my willpower.. I'd try to lose some more weight before trying again.. just to be safe than sorry.

However, sounds like you lost quite a bit since the last try which could only help your odds.

Is there anyway they can check with ultrasound or something BEFORE you go under to see if it's going to be easier?

I asked about that and the answer was no. She says she won't know until she's in there. I've gone to a strict liquid diet to lose more weight. It's killing me though since I've been on some form of a liquid diet for over a year now. I'm hoping to be comfortably under 300 when I go in.

Thanks for the support! :lol:

I'm sorry you don't have that kind of time to take off work; that's a big obstacle. Then you're issues with scaring is a problem too.

I, of course, don't know how much scaring you'll have, but from my previous surgery with laproscope, I only have a tiny white line as scars, and unless you look for them, they're virtually invisible. Those were from back in the days with staples or stitches instead of glue. Do you know how long the scar is from belly button to stomach. I just tried to measure mine (you can't get any less scientific than this), I used my thumb to the knuckle, and it looks like about four inches. I feel like I'm scared from the heavy weight I'm carrying around, and actually the weight, for me, is much worse than a scar.

I hope you know I'm trying to persuade you. I'm just telling you how I came to my decision. We're all different, and I understand you have real issues about scarring, which is understandable.

Thanks for the advice. It helps really.

Just so you know the scar thing is partly from the fact that I've had two surgeries this year. My band scars are minimal like yours, but my g/b surgery produced a nasty one inch scar. The other issue is that I have skin damage from being overweight and for the longest time I would look at the skin on my stomach and say "at least that looks good".

The current scars are somewhat of an issue. Not too much, but I think this one might. It's estimated to be from 4 to 6 inches long. I know some of it will be chopped off when I have plastic surgery. (more scars) So, it really shouldn't be too much of an issue. Unfortunately it is and I've gone back and forth as to why I should consent to an open surgery and to why I shouldn't.

I also keep telling myself that all this worry may be for nothing, they may not need to open me up.

Anyway, thanks so much.

My answer to this was YES! If they stopped, I did not get my money back. Might as well go through with it at that point and they said that the incision would be small.

Why did they tell you they couldn't do it? I had surgery 8/11 and he couldn't place the band. I followed his preop diet longer, lost 32 pounds, and got the band on 8/29. I had a fatty liver.

There is no way I'd want the old style surgery. uh uh. no thanks.

I think you should get another surgeon. I weighed 375 when I got the band. I have a large ventral hernia which means things were TIGHT in there. There are many different places where they can place the port...and I am fine now. I think your surgeon is blaming you for her lack of skill.