Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological Evaluation Stories

Hi - I'm going in for my Psych Eval. soon.

I'm a little/a lot nervous :tt2:

Can you share your Evaluation stories with me.

Thanks for all your help everybody!

It's was a breeze for me! My psych required 4 visits over 4 weeks. They mainly consisted of her asking me a lot of questions regarding my life from as early as I can remember to present. What were my reasons for having the surgery. What type of support structure did I have in place after the surgery...blah...blah...blah. I answered honestly and it was all easy. I actually liked my sessions with her and may go ahead and keep going maybe once a month. My insurance pays for 20 visits a year.

You'll be fine. Just be honest...they are trained to know when you are BS'ing them. Remember, they take notes and you may forget what you told them and if you lie they can catch you and may not approve you. I wouldn't want to take that chance.

I only had one visit. I had to take some psych tests and then she came in looked it over told me where I fell in the bell curve of craziness and asked me some more questions. As long as you fall in the no significant eating disorder column you're good to go. If it appears that your an emotional eater that's out of control, an anorexic, or a bulemic, then you get to come back for further evals or get kicked out of the lap band club. No worries. My lady was really nice.

Edited by debgoodman
Spelling

Mine was super easy too. I had to answer some questions from the MMPI II test (and it asks the same thing bunches but just reworded...) then I met w/her and discussed why I wanted the band and what I wanted from it. She asked me if I smoked (quit in 1995) drank (used to a lot but for the last 20 years just occasionally) and did street drugs (once when I was 20 it was vile never again). She said "so you just can't lose weight" and I told her NO I lose just marvy but I can't keep it off. It was fast. Later she reviewed my test questions and passed me.

Just be honest. That's the best route!

As the answers above attest, ever doc is different. I had two appointments with my practice's therapist. (btw, Ive been to probably 8 therapists in my life and he was the greatest - remember they are USED to working with overweight people - they will understand what you are going through).

The first meeting I took a couple of bubble tests about my general personality and thoughts on life. We chatted a bit, and made another appointment for the following week. When I went back he confirmed that my test was ok (basically the tests were to weed out anyone who a. could not follow directions/pay attention, or b. had serious mental/emotional issues), and then we talked a bit about when and why I overeat, how important this surgery was to me, what I looked forward to about being thinner, etc.

Don't stress. Be honest, but smart. Like, if the question is "I sometimes throw up after I eat", and the answer is one time you ate too much and got sick - you probably want to answer no or include an explanation. Not to worry though - they are not there to fail your or catch you, but rather to weed out those who are likely to find the surgery does more harm for them than good.

Hey Ladies,

This topic was very helpful - my psych eval is next week, and I was wondering what to expect...seems like it'll be okay - I'll report back if my experience is different from the rest of you.:lol:

Hello:

My pysch eval consisted of spending maybe 30 minutes speaking to the therapist and then completing 200 questions. That was it...very easy.

Mine was super quick and easy. Just a casual conversation with her about my weight history, my diet history, and what I thought was causing me to be overweight. My answer was simple as well, I eat too much! That was it in a nutshell for me, no issues from childhood, no real emotional eating, just president of the Clean Your Plate club -- Thanks Dad!:lol: LOL

We talked about my health history, my family's. Discussed my support system....Then discussed Hospitals and business type stuff (she is a NP and I am finishing mine up). Oh, and we discussed PTSD, as my husband has severe PTSD from 8 trips to Iraq. Pretty easy.

They just want to know:

1. if you understand what you are getting yourself into.
  2. if you have an eating disorder that needs further evaluation
  3. if you have a support system
  4. if you have other addictions that need to be dealt with

I have never been on this site before. The Psychiatrist I seen today gave me the address. I hoping someone can ease my mind a little. I see a lot of success stories regarding the psych eval but mine didn't go well. The dr basically said that I'm at high risk for bipolar disorder due to sleeplessness and past hx due to post partem depression and thyroid disfunctions. I explained that the sleeping probs are only when I take perscribed med adipex. Anxiety was related to too much synthroid while getting the disease under control. I'm a mother of 2 and I'm in nursing school with a 3.86 GPA. I told him I'm under some stress but I'm a happy person. I don't like my weight problem, that is why I was there. I need to be healthy for my girls. I guess because I answered too many questions as being happy in life and successful w/ school he said that was manic or states of euphoria.

He didn't ask hardly any questions he was just going off the computer test which I found to be difficult. (I'm an analyzer) Questions like most people are truthful, people have alterior motives. Well I'm guilty of giving people the benefit of the doubt and answered mostly true.

Anyways I have to see a therapist now for 12 session. I'm even more scared than before and I just want to cry. Can someone please give me some advice or even a story that relates to mine and let me know I'm not the only one.

Thanks

I have never been on this site before. The Psychiatrist I seen today gave me the address. I hoping someone can ease my mind a little. I see a lot of success stories regarding the psych eval but mine didn't go well. The dr basically said that I'm at high risk for bipolar disorder due to sleeplessness and past hx due to post partem depression and thyroid disfunctions. I explained that the sleeping probs are only when I take perscribed med adipex. Anxiety was related to too much synthroid while getting the disease under control. I'm a mother of 2 and I'm in nursing school with a 3.86 GPA. I told him I'm under some stress but I'm a happy person. I don't like my weight problem, that is why I was there. I need to be healthy for my girls. I guess because I answered too many questions as being happy in life and successful w/ school he said that was manic or states of euphoria.

He didn't ask hardly any questions he was just going off the computer test which I found to be difficult. (I'm an analyzer) Questions like most people are truthful, people have alterior motives. Well I'm guilty of giving people the benefit of the doubt and answered mostly true.

Anyways I have to see a therapist now for 12 session. I'm even more scared than before and I just want to cry. Can someone please give me some advice or even a story that relates to mine and let me know I'm not the only one.

Thanks

You will be fine. I am actually glad that bariatric surgeons and their prep practices require the psychological counseling aspect to getting the surgery as it really does make you deal with head hunger - the reasons I eat to satisfy feelings and deal with stress -- which isn't going to be any different with a band. In fact, I've had a death in my immediate family, a knee surgery, and a job exam to pass to keep my job, and other things that were high stress SINCE getting banded which in the past may have been excuses to eat. I'm happy to say I made it through it all and am still losing. My psychologist did the same with about 4 visits, plus the 200 question test, and a follow up after the test to give me insight on where I have weaknesses to work on and her professional opinion, which she had to provide to the surgeon and the insurance company, was that I was prepared to work with the lapband and not defeat it myself. So, all in all, it was more hoops to jump through, but when I read stories of those who hate their lapband, aren't losing with the band, or whatever reasons they are failing, I am glad I had to take the long road to get my lapband because I was fully aware of what I was getting myself into.

God Bless!

Thanks so much Special K. I know that the process is neccessary but the one thing I've always been confident in is my mind. I hate my body most of the time but I'm so proud of myself when it comes to school. Now I have someone questioning my mental stability.

Anyways I have talked to my family and they agree that they have never seen signs of me being bipolar, which I know is very common with the illness. I have spent much time praying over the last few hours and I feel much better. Your words of advice help me to know this is just another hoop that I WILL be jumping through. Thanks so much.

God Bless you too.