Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. Samurai Surgery Check-in

Hi! I had my banding on Sept 10. Was the "poster child" for banding the evening of surgery. Next day, spiked a temp of 104 for no known reason. (multiple tests showed nothing) I went home on day 2 and have been fine since. I am kind of struggling with figuring out if I have any restriction- even "false" restriction?? Seems I can eat ok and dont get real full or anything. I am on pureed right now and just acting as if I have some restriction. Does this sound right??

Well Sept 16th was my surgery. I got there at 0630, I was 2nd on the list so surgery started about 0915. I told him I get very nauseated after surgery and they got me a shot and a patch and it worked. I stayed in recovery a little longer than usual because my heart rate keeping falling in the 30s or 40s. After it stabilized I went to xray so they could watch me drink some of that chaulky stuff. They then brought me to a room. The biggest pain was I had to pee before they released me and I couldn't. It took 3 hours and lots of fluids. So of course once I did, I was going all night long. Even when I didn't have too. I got 6 little holes. I know some people that only had 3. I wonder why I had so many? They sent this little breathing appartus home with me which I am supposed to do every 6 minutes but I don't know for how long and also I have to wear the stockings for a few days for blood clots.

Dr. Morton in Nashville was my doc. He really stressed that the lapband really works best on solid food. He says have at least 60 grams of Protein per day. And when eating, eat protein (meat) first then veggies and then fruit. The thought is to get full on the protein first. All things that melt in your mouth (chips, Cookies, ice cream) will only slow the weight loss down because they will slip right through the band like a liquid.< /p>

Well I am doing well. I have a little soreness of course. I still have pain in my shoulders and neck from the gas but I have my gasx strips. I took some pain medication before I went to bed and hopefully I won't need to take anymore. I have today and tomorrow on Clear Liquids and then soft food starts for a week and then solids. I can't wait for a scrambled egg or something that is not liquid anymore. I don't feel hungry yet but I could eat if I thought about it. Good luck to everyone else. And I thank all you guys for your support and for having a forum like this. This is great.

Denise

Oh P.S. I lost 17 lbs on the pre-op diet!!!

I was told not to compare "cuts". She told me at my Pre Op that they put in as many "cuts" as it takes to get the job done safely. I guess women were lifting their shirts and telling tales. :)

Anyway, I will be a couple months before I have food, congrats on doing so great!

Hi,

Just checking in, had surgery 9/9. 4 days out got nauseas and finally threw up once, never could figure out why, but no problems since. Just port side sore and back spasms from protecting that side. Took two weeks off of work. I love the Protein Shakes after having done Medifast so many times! Real food scares me! Good luck to everyone!

Hi all,

I had surgery on 9/10/2008. I am doing good so far, i do have a little pain or soarness around the port area which is the most uncomfortable thing i have. Uncomfortable not unbareble but i can do pretty much everything now, except pick up my 2yr old. I have been on clear liquids for a week and now the dr. put me on full liquids will is great. I do have food restriction i get full so fast. I am so excited. Well just wanted to check in. Hope everyone is doing great.

September 22 was my date. I feel really good. I don't have any gas pain and am only experiencing pain from my stomach. The nasua is disappearing and I have been able to walk and move around really well. I didn't really eat anything yesterday, only sipped Water and ate a couple of hard pieces of candy which the candy made me feel a little sick. Other than that, it seems I am doing very well at least so far.

September 22 was my date. I feel really good. I don't have any gas pain and am only experiencing pain from my stomach. The nasua is disappearing and I have been able to walk and move around really well. I didn't really eat anything yesterday, only sipped Water and ate a couple of hard pieces of candy which the candy made me feel a little sick. Other than that, it seems I am doing very well at least so far.

Congrats. I am glad that you are doing well.

Well I did it, I have joined the "BANDED" --- forgot to add --- I lost another 10 pounds, I CRIED. I am finally under 250. What an acheivement

All in all feel good, sore and gas pain. They explained that it is the diaphram spazzing out.

It is official, my Dr might be tops in his field, but he is an ass. That said, I will just live with it.

I have 6 incissions, one right where my bra hits, isn't that wonderful. No bra's for me for a while. The girls are free. Egads, they are free and jiggly, just like my jello! :confused:

We didn’t get to talk to the Surgeon because the dumb ass, after waiting for two hours, was scrubbing for his next surgery. Finally we just left, one of the nurses was all pissed off that he couldn't take the time to talk to us and told us we could go, that it was redicilous. I we seen by two other Drs, so all is okay, he just wanted to see me personally. I was there at 5am, had surgery at 7:30, awake at 10 and back from recovery by noon. We didn't leave until two. What he couldn't make it by before his next surgery. Good Grief

I told a lie - they told me I couldn't leave untill I pee'd. I wanted to go home. So I lied. Once we got home my Hubby kept at me to sip, sip, sip and finally I got out a dribble. I was worried about that little lie. But I figured the worse was that they would make me go back.

Had one quirk, but this is ME - After surgery in recovery, they told me everytime I fell asleep I quit breathing, oxygen got down to 80, then they watched me like a hawk, there was no sleep for me. They kept prodding me and telling me to breath deep. After I was fully awake, everything was fine, so I am not that concerned.

So when I got home I wanted a popsicle so bad, but I could only eat 1/2 and and couldn't eat any more. I can only eat a couple tiny bites of Jello and a few sips of Water. I have liquid pain killer, which I promptly spilled and I have to take Pepcid, crushed.

Go back in two weeks to see the Surgeon, have to see my Dr Saturday. All in all I think I am perfect, just TIRED, Going to try to sip some more crystal lite.

Thanks so much everyone - huggs Debbie

Edited by debbieperez55

I am sorry that you didn't have the best experience today. I am glad that you are at home and doing well. Keep us posted on your recovery!

Congrats Debbie. Finally huh. Shame on you! LOL I only say that because I had to stay 3 1/2 hours extra because I couldn't pee. I thought about lying and called my sister who works in a hospital. She said you can lie but if you can't pee it will be really painful and then you will have to come back in so they could get me a catheter (sp??). Well I'm glad everything worked out. Take it slow, it takes some getting used to.

Denise

I was home the same day. I was glad to be home in my own surroundings. I think except for when my little one puked on my tummy, where my incisions were, it was best for all at my house.

I go today for a wound check.

teri

I am finally in Bandland!!!

Hello everyone. Just checking in to let you all know that I was banded yesterday in Savannah GA by Dr. Oliver Whipple and everything went just fine. I was sooo stressed over my liver. I got to the hospital about 0730 and got my last minute lab stuff done. I went back to preop room probably about 0930 or 1000. My surgery was bumped due to another case so I had to wait a little longer thank expected. But that was cool because my husband and I were in a private room and watched CSI on TV. I finally went back to the OR about 1115. The last thing I remember is slidding onto the table and being told to take 5 deep breaths. I woke up in the recovery room about 1230. I have 5 incisions. They are very small and the one larger one is where my port is. Unlike most people my port seems to be center right above my belly button. This is goos for me because I like to sleep on my side. My doctor used dermabond instead of steri-strips to close my incisions. It just like clear glue. Some people say that it leaves less of a scar.The first thing I asked the nurse when I started to wake up was AM I Banded. She giggled and said yes you are. I was sooooo relieved. I prayed so hard that I wouldn't wake up from surgery and be told that they couldn't place my band due to liver stuff. My doctor requires an overnight stay. I think I had one dose of pain meds yesterday and one dose today before leaving ths hospital. I really wasn't hurting this morning but I had to ride two hours from the hospital to get home so I figured I should take something just in case. My only complaint up to this point is the gas pains in my back. The liquid mylicon they gave me at the hospital did absolutely nothing. I also tried the Gas-X strips and they didn't seem to do anything either. I have been walking around my yard since I have been home and that seems to help a little. It is weird because other than the soarness and gas I don't feel banded. I have had broth, popsicles, and Jello. I am not really hungry but I can tolerate just about any liquids without a problem. I am so gald that I am not suffering with any nausea. Well I guess it is Tootaloo for now. I will keep you all posted on how things are going. Thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes as I start my new life.

P.S. Any one considering Gastric surgery in GA should consider Memorial Health Bariatrics in Savannah. Dr. Whipple was awesome and so was all of the hospital staff at Memorial Health Medical Center.

Edited by lcjackson

Congratulations, lcjackson, and to all the other September banders. It's so helpful to read all your stories.

I just have a mini update. I had stitch pop through one of my incisions. It looked like clear plastic string and was about 1/8 - 1/4 long. It was really irritating because it would get pulled by my clothes. I called the nurse at my doctor's office, and she said to just push down on the area, to get the most of the stitch as possible, and just cut it off. She said to be sure not to pull it out. I wanted to let you all know, in case any of you get an errant stitch popping through.