Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK so come this sunday I will finally get to start my mushy foods. My family is having a cookout for Labor Day and my dad is grilling out hamburgers, hotdogs, ribs, and BBQed chicken. While all of these sound super good, I told him to just grill me a piece of chicken with some Lemon Pepper seasoning on it. I thought I'd puree it in some chicken broth, hopefully it will taste good. I'd really like to have some ribs, but chicken is so much my healthy for you. Any one have any other ideas for the chicken?

You are doing so good! The chicken sounds good to me, actually...

I thought of pureeing it (when the time comes for me) with a little of that gravy in a jar...like Heinz? It's not too high in cals (don't recall about the fat) for a different taste but what you are doing sounds delicious!

And remember you can have that BBQ later! That's what I'm holding on to right now; once I lose, I can have most of the foods I love, just in smaller portions.

Heinz does make a fat free chicken gravy that you could use to puree it with that might not be too bad. Let us know how it works out, I am being banded next month and could use some ideas for when I get to that stage. Good luck!

You can also have mashed potatos with your chicken and fat free gravy. I did some instant ones tonight with garlic and skim milk to make it a bit runny and some butter spray and it was pretty tasty. You can also puree veggies and eat them with the chicken. Tomatoes would be good and squash.

I have squash in the freezer to cook and puree with some splenda and apple/pumpkin pie spices.

Good luck.

Great ideas! Sounds a lot better than the turkey and sweet potato baby food jar I have! LOL! I still have another week to go for that... I'd sell my soul for an Atkins shake right now! LOL!:biggrin:

I also bought a diet book that is for WLS patients. It is neat; it has what to eat when for GBS, duodenal switch (I think) AND the lap band. Some of them, like Fall Harvest pumpkin Soup (mushies) sound so good I was almost drooling. (Yes how dumb is it to read cookbooks when you are on a preop diet or liquid? )

Hi, I have heard that chicken is VERY hard to process. It tends to glob back together in your pouch and create a ball of chicken hard to process. I saw a You Tube video warning that it was awful pain. She suggested doing ground chicken. I am still on liquids having been banded this past Monday, but I will be very nervous to try Chicken when I start eating. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back when I was on mushies, my doc said that ground beef was a great source of Protein while in this stage. I ate ground beef quite alot while on mushies and never had a problem. I would think you would be able to have a breadless hamburger with cheese (extra calories but also a good source of protein while on mushies) maybe mustard, ketchup and some lettuce (this is also considered a mushy food.) I hope you enjoy your labor day, and just remember to chew everything very well!

I agree with Kalia----eat a 1/2 cheeseburger rather than the chicken, or better yet, get some ground turkey and make a turkey burger. When I was first allowed something other than liquids my main problem was with chicken. It does tend to get "stuck" I have grown very attached to turkey burgers, I put a little bit of dried onion mushroom Soup mix (liptons) some egg beaters, a little bit of breadcrumbs and grill it(spray the grill first it tends to stick) I have a lot of them in the freezer and pull them out when we are grilling. Whats best about these are that you don't have to puree them....just take your time and chew real slow. Good luck and have a great picnic!

I know I didn't start this thread but with my mushie time coming up in 13 days I am sure getting some good tips!

Thanks for the idea about ground beef and turkey. I think I'll stock up on them. Also I wonder if veggie burgers are OK when I get to the solids. I like them. You can have low fat cheese on my diet and that would be good on the burger. Take it easy with some of the Condiments. They have sugar free catsup and BBQ Sauce now which I will get next time I go shopping same with the fat free mayo.< /p>

Walden Farms has no calorie (and I mean it) salad dressings, they are in the salad section and are refrigerated. The ranch and blue cheese are excellent.

One more week of liquids and on to the mushies can't wait. LOL

I have been looking everywhere for the sugar free BBQ Sauce, my nutritionist recommended the Atkins one but I can't find them anywhere. Where have you found them? I will have to try the salad dressing also, how is the fat content?

I found it in Wal-Mart in the small section of diet food and health food section.

You also might want to try KC Masterpiece "Classic Blend"

It has 10 calories and only 2 carbs per serving.

KC is usually easier to find.