Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are We Ready For A Woman VP?

Are We Ready For A Woman VP?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are We Ready For A Woman VP?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I don't care.

On another subject: we discussed on this thread the issue of abstinence and sex education. It was noted today that before Obama was elected to the US Senate, when he was a member of the Illinois legislature, Obama chaired a committe that approved a bill to change the sex ed curriculum (which at the time was grades 6-12) to start at kindergarten instead.

Here are the facts: as chair of the Senate Health And Human Services Committee, on March 6th, 2003, Obama voted for SB 99. The measure passed through the committee with a 7-4 vote. Here's what the bill said, verbatim: "Each class or course in comprehensive sex education offered in any of grades K through 12 shall include instruction on the prevention of sexually transmitted infections, including the prevention, transmission and spread of HIV."

Thankfully, the bill didn't pass.

Of course, now Obama's backtracking and saying the kindergarten curriculum should include "age appropriate" information. But that not what the BILL that he supported said.

I honestly think the joke "Pitbull...lipstick" is old. The one time was funny, but now, it's just fodder for Dems and political pundits.

I agree. It was a cute joke, but doesn't warrant repetition. But I also believe that Obama's statement (that you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig) was calculated -- for the reasons I noted above -- but calculated to be generic enough to provide him the option to claim plausible deniability.

the pitbull comment wasnt funny the first time she said it.

Once again this is a case of purposely taking comments out of context and feigning outrage! "Lipstick on a pig" is an expression that has been used often. Cheney used it in 2004; McCain himself used it recently when referring to Hillary Clinton's plans. So, please, let's be fair! The Republicans are using this as a distraction so they don't have to talk about the issues.

With respect to sex education, the same is true. Obama was referring to "age-appropriate sex education"...inappropriate touching...to protect them from pedophiles.

So if you don't agree with Obama's policies, that's your right...but don't concentrate on purposeful distractions. Let's stick to the issues.

Palin wants to do away with abortion EVEN in cases of rape and incest. She also believes that manmade activities HAVE NOT contributed to global warming! This person is NOT ready to be VP nor POTUS!

What exactly is it about her that is "relatable"? I'm a mother and there is no way I can relate to her that's for sure! First of all this lady has a shit-load of money and has her "nannies" taking care of her kids where's the "family values"?? She has maids and personal chefs. Sorry can't relate!

But hey if you are happy with where our country is right now vote for McCain because he helped get us here, he sided with Bush 90% of the time. Also, I haven't heard any plans from him to get our troops out of Iraq actually quite the contrary. And WHY are we in Iraq when the PENTAGON has stated there is no link between Iraq and Al Qaeda? Oh right oil! Is it a coincidence that Cheney had his "energy" meeting right after getting into office where they had maps of the oil fields in Iraq and has REFUSED to say who exactly was at that meeting however, we know for sure there was at least one ceo of a major oil company present. Give me a break! There have been lies after lies from the Bush administration about this war and what our purpose is there and some of you actually want to vote for MCCAIN??!! The one candidate who has agreed and voted with Bush for the past 8 years!? Hey to each their own and if you see nothing wrong with the way things are now you will get more of the same if not worse by voting for McCain. But go ahead and vote based on "moral" issues cause you know all those gays and women who have abortions are running our country into the ground!:rolleyes2:

Said my peace and now I'm done!

I disagree. Look, if someone were talking to a group of conservatives about Ted Kennedy and said the common expression, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it", it takes on a whole different connotation. Barack Hussein Obama knew what he was saying, and his audience reacted to what they knew he was saying, chanting immediately afterwards, "She's a pit bull". Context means everything.

As to the issue of sex ed, you're quoting party line, saying he wanted it extended to kindergarten to protect from pedophiles. The reality is that the bill states exactly what it intended ("Each class or course in comprehensive sex education offered in any of grades K through 12 shall include instruction on the prevention of sexually transmitted infections, including the prevention, transmission and spread of HIV"), and Barack Hussein Obama is trying to backtrack. If he didn't agree with what the bill said, why did he vote for it?

And why do you keep repeating his middle name...so what if his middle name is Hussein...got something against it?

I disagree. Look, if someone were talking to a group of conservatives about Ted Kennedy and said the common expression, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it", it takes on a whole different connotation. Barack Hussein Obama knew what he was saying, and his audience reacted to what they knew he was saying, chanting immediately afterwards, "She's a pit bull". Context means everything.

As to the issue of sex ed, you're quoting party line, saying he wanted it extended to kindergarten to protect from pedophiles. The reality is that the bill states exactly what it intended ("Each class or course in comprehensive sex education offered in any of grades K through 12 shall include instruction on the prevention of sexually transmitted infections, including the prevention, transmission and spread of HIV"), and Barack Hussein Obama is trying to backtrack. If he didn't agree with what the bill said, why did he vote for it?

Have you personally seen this bill? Do you know exactly what it says or are you getting your information from Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, or the other extreme conservative mouthpieces? I mean come on, where the heck is this stuff?! It's more common sense that ANY person would vote for something that would PROTECT children from pedophiles and other sex offenders than to actually teach them sex and std's at such a young age!! I mean for crying out loud the man has young children of his own! You are just being outlandish! This isn't even something that is seriously affecting our country and you want to base your vote off something so ridiculous? I definitely want to get education as a whole fixed, economy, war, healthcare, etc.! But NO you and the rest of your republican conservative party want to distract from REAL issues that people are facing instead of fixing them and coming up with REAL solutions! UGH, just makes me ill!

And why do you keep repeating his middle name...so what if his middle name is Hussein...got something against it?

No, actually, I don't. Why would saying someone's middle name be a problem?

(are you getting an idea of context issues now?)

Have you personally seen this bill?

Look it up. The quote I gave is direct verbiage from the bill and no, I didn't get it from Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh.

In gauging a candidate, we have to look at his voting record and see what he supports and what he opposes. Obama supported this bill, with the verbiage about teaching contraception and sexually transmitted disease prevention. I'm sorry that you don't like it or don't think it's accurate or don't think anyone should be looking at his record, but facts are facts.

This is just one of the many issues on which I disagree with Barack Hussein Obama. And it is a real issue, because what we teach our children will shape our future. It speaks to his worldview.

I honestly think the joke "Pitbull...lipstick" is old. The one time was funny, but now, it's just fodder for Dems and political pundits. I love politics, but hate it.:thumbup:

i think BOTH sides have made the "pig - lipstick" comment. these poor farm animals are taking such heat & pit bulls too....LOL

i've heard that come out of mccains mouth as well as obamas - it's really just stupid on both ends & no one should apologize. it's a campaign; taking barbs against each other is what they do. i don't appreciate dragging kid dramas into the picture, but record debating - calling one another out is perfect politics, that i have no issue with.

but the poor pigs......i think they look cute just as is; w/out lipstick.:rolleyes2:

What is wrong with sex education taught in schools provided that it is taught in an age-appropriate fashion? Since when did the state of ignorance trump knowledge as a good place to inhabit? Up in Canada where sex ed is taught there are 25.6 per cent births to unmarried women as contrasted with 38.5 per cent births in the United States.

We all know that the ideal family is one where kids have two parents, not one, that these families will be less likely to live in poverty, and that the burdens and joys of raising kids do not fall upon one pair of exhausted shoulders. Kids from two parent families tend to be more functional, do better in school, stay longer in school, stay out of trouble with the law, and grow up to form mature and stable adult relationships themselves. What is wrong with this?

Kids ought to be educated about sex. They ought to know about pregnancy and about sexually transmissable diseases. They can be taught that abstinence is the safest and most effective method to protect themselves but they should be aware of the mechanics of sex. You see, kids will be curious. And sometimes kids will do crazy things,...like get drunk on stolen liquor, try smoking a cigarette, or try sexually fooling around. I don't like to think of any young person finding herself pregnant through ignorance.

Kids IN KINDERGARTEN need to learn how to READ, not how to have protected sex.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against education AT ALL. But I don't believe what that bill provided for, comprehensive sex ed in kindergarten which "shall include instruction on the prevention of sexually transmitted infections, including the prevention, transmission and spread of HIV" is age appropriate for 5 and 6 year olds.

No, actually, I don't. Why would saying someone's middle name be a problem?

(are you getting an idea of context issues now?)

I've never once seen someone type his full name so many times in one small paragraph. Most people don't even mention his middle name. I found it odd...you don't like him anyway.