Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello and help...

I am 26 years old, from New Jersey and I just had the lap band done on August 26, 2008. It has only been three days for me but I am getting nervous because I can't drink as much as the doctor told me I should. I am going to call him tomorrow but I'd like to know if anyone could help me out and tell me how much you were able to drink after surgery.

Agatha:unsure:

I'm sure an experienced bandster or two will post but until then I can tell you my Doc and his staff told us it will be VERY VERY hard initially to get the 64 oz of Water in. We're told to just sip sip sip constantly; keep the water at hand all the time. So unless you're REALLY underhydrated I think your experience is common. Just hang in there and keep sipping!

Congrats on your band, by the way!

Did you have to drink protien shakes after surgery? Did you find it difficult because I'm having the most trouble with them. Did you use one in particular?

I was banded on July 2nd and still can't drink as much as I'm supposed to(64 oz). Just recently I started making Crystal Lite lemonade in the 16.9oz bottle and freezing it just until it becomes slushy. I drink about 2 of these a day now. I goes down easier than plain Water or even Crystal Lite that hasn't been frozen. I'm gonna try the Raspberry Ice flavor tomorrow. Hope this will be helpful to you too.

Hi, I was just banded on Monday and I have been just basically sipping some form of liquid all day long. Lots of Water. I have been drinking Yogurt smoothie's and broth etc. I am going to add some protien shakes tomorrow. I am having some bubbles in my stomach since which is making it a bit hard to know when I am full. I am hoping that goes away soon. Good luck and keep sipping!

Hi There - I am also in NJ.....

The Protein Shakes didn't work for me - they upset my stomach. I don't remember how much Water I drank in a day, but I do know that I did takes sips of water and crystal light all throughout the day. It does add up.

If you are worried just call your doctor - they are pretty supportive.

Agatha I'm supposed to add Protein Shakes during week 2...1st week, just Water, broth and Jello (and that's IT!) Although for our preop diet our surgeon recommended a very specific Protein Shake, for post op (again, starting week 2) he told us just to pick one low in carbs and fat and high in Protein. I'm using EAS Carb Control AdvantEDGE (I think that's the name) that have 17 g of protein each. Isopure (from GNC) is another name I remember that's on our postop list but I haven't had them.