Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing was ever discussed during the classes about eating lettuce.

I love salad and I can understand not eating raw vegetables like radishes, green peppers, etc.

But what about shredded lettuce?

Will I ever be able to eat that again?

:tt2:

I eat lettuce everyday and I am tightly restricted. I chop it up finely and chew it well. I had heard before banding that lettuce can get stuck but I have never known it to happen.

For me it has been true that if I keep a reasonable fill I am able to tolerate everything. Even things you're warned about like celery, broccoli, pineapple. None of those have gotten stuck.

Where you might run into trouble is if you prefer a pretty tight fill so that you're not able to tolerate a lot of foods. Some people approach the band that way. I choose to keep it looser. That is what has worked for me.

i agree. I eat sneak in salads every now and again however, my band hasn't been tightened yet but will be next week. As of Sept. 5th at 2:15pm...so eat it in moderation..and don't forget to chew chew chew!

I have found lettuce to be difficult to eat post surgery. I can eat a very small amount, as long as it's chopped and I chew very finely.

You should still be able to enjoy a salad, only much smaller than before.

Best of luck!

I have only had one fill but I use baby spinach leaves instead of lettuce..... I have always used spinach because I don't think Iceburg lettuce has much nutritional value.......

Try the baby spinach, just cut it up and chew well.

Good luck!

Hi

I was worried I wouldnt be able to eat salad too but I have no problem. I've had 1 fill so far and can eat most things and certainly lettuce and all the other salad foods are completely fine. I can also eat crunchy apples and fruit aswell so long as I chew each bite thoroughly. So good luck and dont worry, just try a little bit one small bite at a time and you'll soon feel more confident.

I eat salad almost daily. I even eat the raw veggies. Everyone has different things that they can and can not tolerate. You just have to be careful when you try them. Good luck!

I can eat salad easier than just about anything else (and I now have pretty good restriction). I can eat 2 cups of shredded lettuce/rocket/cabbage in a salad and love it !!

i can eat salads until the cows come home =) when we go out to eat that's normally what i get because i know i wont have any problems

I can eat lettuce and do so regularly. I have to chew extra good, but I read on this board that romaine is easier to get down because it is crisper. I tried that, and low and behold whoever wrote this was right. So now I only buy romaine. It's easier to chew. But when I'm at a resaturant I eat whatever they have.

I really like the baby romaine. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it! Although, it may not be quite as crisp as regular romaine.