Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just wondering about this?? I have read as well as heard about the Realize Band. Is it suppose to be better? I know it is the lastest band to come out.

If u have one i would like to know how it is working?? I was told I will have a choice so I will go with that one. But I would love some feed back on it!!

So any thoughts on it ?? If u have it were u given an option?? How does it feel?? Any info will be helpful!! :smile2:

There is a sub-forum towards the bottom of the page here about it, but it's not terribly popular. I'm getting the Realize band. I asked my surgeon the differences and he said (other than the online tools, which he thinks are great) there isn't a huge one. The port is smaller, the bands are essentially the same (and the Realize band is NOT triangular when it's filled- I know someone is going to pop up and say it or post that video). The Realie band's "tire" (for lack of better term) is softer. They work essentially the same.

Hey tomatogirl,

Thanks for the info. I did hear about the online tool which my patient advocate thought was a great way to keep up with my weight. I was just searching on it, any and all info will be good so thanks for ur time..

Did your surgeon give you the informational booklet from Realize? If not, you can go on their website and request one (or a DVD). It's pretty informational.

i just got banded on tuesday 8-26-08 and i got the realize band. dr.miles told me the differnet between them was the realize band is alittle wider then the lap band. and the port is titauim(sp) so they can take an x-ray of it to see it if needed. and the online stuff for it. and like tomatogirl said the "tire" is alittle softer and round when filled. and another thing with it, if your doctor is using them means johnson and johnson aprroved the doctor to use it. so they are trained to install it. they have to take class to use it. johnson and johnson is a great company in the surgery department.

jason r

tomatogirl and jason r,

Thanks for the info it is alot of help to know these things. I heard there were some good things about it not that the regular band is bad. But since it is new I have looked into it and thought about it, When I told my patient advocate she said my doc does use them and she says he prefers them so I wll get my dvd and other info on it and see how it goes thanks a bunch u guys.

Jason so how are u feeling?? I wish u lots of luck. I meet with my surgeon on next thursday to set up my surgery date, I am anxious yet very nervous as the days pass.

take care and good luck to u both.!!

I was just banded aug 13th with the realize band. So far I am doing good. I liked the fact that it inflates to a full circle not triangle, the port doesnt poke out as bad and the online tools.

moonandstarzz,

thanks for the info and good luck to u..

Hi! I noticed you are from Alabama - so I am. I live in Huntsville and I have my 1st appointment with the surgeon next week to see if I'm a candidate. Reading all the information makes me concerned that I won't be able to stick with it.

How are you doing?

Connie

i just got banded on tuesday 8-26-08 and i got the realize band. dr.miles told me the differnet between them was the realize band is alittle wider then the lap band. and the port is titauim(sp) so they can take an x-ray of it to see it if needed. and the online stuff for it.

jason r

I'm having surgery on the 3rd and I picked to have the LapBand. I liked the fact that the Lapband is all silicon. I didn't like that the port on the Realize was plastic. The back of the LapBand is Titanium. The LapBand port is sutured onto the muscle and the Realize port has these "feet" things that punch into the muscle. I didn't like the way that sounded...lol. Another difference is the LapBand is pre-curved and the Realize Band is straight. My Surgeon told me that they both have shown the same results in studies...the Realize also has online tools, but the LapBand is in the process of getting a website thing going too. It's really just a matter of preference...They both do the same job...one is not better than the other. Good luck in your choice :smile:

I chose the Realize Band for the reasons most people are posting - I am glad I did - I have had no problems with it.

Hi! I noticed you are from Alabama - so I am. I live in Huntsville and I have my 1st appointment with the surgeon next week to see if I'm a candidate. Reading all the information makes me concerned that I won't be able to stick with it.

How are you doing?

Connie

Hi I am from Bham . You should check out the Alabama forum on this site!

I swear I have a college degree and have a good career. I think I'm smart and I thought I really investigated this whole lap band thing but everytime I get on this website, I feel STUPID!

I was banded this past Monday and have NO idea what they put in me LOL!! I didn't even know there was a choice!! I'm laughing about it cause I guess it's too late to worry about!