Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want some opinions on pros and cons of lab band. Thinking about having it done

Hello everyone... This is my first time on here.. Just wanted to talk to people who have had lap band and the pros and cons... I am thinking of having it done. But i am extremely scared... Thank you all for you help....

Welcome! I can not think of a single con. The list of pros are huge. I was self pay and I can honestly say that this was the best money I ever spent. I am 6 months out today and can't believe how fast the time has gone. Surgery was pretty painless. Recovery was a breeze. I had it done on Wednesday, went home on Thursday, and back to work at 11 hour days on Monday. I have only had two fills and have good restriction. My favorite pro at the moment is - I can no longer shop at Avenue or Lane Bryant!!

Good luck on your journey.

The only con I can think of is that you'll have to spend a lot of money on new clothes. :thumbup: Ok, no, really.

pros:

better health

thinner

more energy

better relationships

cons:

the buying more clothes thing

um, perhaps not being able to eat some of your favorite foods

having to give things up (soda, etc)

Switzerland (neutral):

having to learn a new way of eating and living. This is a lifestyle change. And while it's is a step in the right direction, it's certainly not easy.

Pros are very numerous -- I love my band and would never trade it for a million dollars.

Cons are that it's not an effortless magic wand that many think it is. I still have to 'diet', I just don't get as hungry doing so. Other cons are giving up some foods, but it's not a big thing...you get used to it and food becomes less important.

I have a list in this lap band journal I made for myself. Mine are not some much as...losing weight or better health...those things are obvious. I did more on medically proven. The ones I have listed are:

Pros

Reversible

Adjustable

No Cuts/Staples/Rearranging

Easier Recovery

Small Incisions

Lower Death/Complication

Cons

Band Erosion

Band Slippage

Port Infection

Increased Reflux Risk

Gastric Problems(leak)

food may get"stuck"

Death(obviously)

I hope this doesn't change your mind. I just want to honestly instruct you.

Good luck

Thank you so very much for bring so honest with me.. I need this because this is my life and a big change to it.. I am doing alot of rescearch... Thank you again so much...

Thank you so much... I really love that you had it done and telling me how it has worked for you... I hope you keep up the great work... Thank you so much....

Thank you so much... I am really glad i joined this so that i can get more info... I want to do this so bad.. But just scared...

Well I didn't have the surgery yet so I can't say. My surgery date is Oct 3rd. How far along in the preop or postop process are u?

I haven't even started yet. I am still at the stage of thinking about having it done.. I am so scared and wanted to talk to people who have had it done and give me their opinions on what they thought? How are you doing? What thoughts have you been having about the surgery?

HOw long has it been sents you have had the surgery? If you dont mind me asking how much did you way and did you have any problems?? Thank you so much.. I am still thinking about having it done. I go to my first meeting on sept 10th with my husband.

What has been the hardest part of this process for you?? My firend who had the gastric sleve said the not being able to eat anything you want part? Did you find the surgery part hard and the post op part hard? Thanks so much for you help..

I can understand how you feel, I was TERRIFIED before surgery. But it is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I had surgery on May 22, and my weightloss has been a lot slower compared to other people who had it done at the same time, but it is so great to see the scales move down each week instead of up. The pros for me are having more energy, not feeling like the fattest person in the room anymore, being able to fit into clothes I haven't been able to wear in forever, and of course improved health.

Some of the cons for me are not being able to eat as much as I want (which is actually a good thing, but I still sometimes miss big meals), the cost of everything, followups and fills, and the coinsurance I had to pay up front, the recovery (I had a rough few days after surgey), and of course the scars. (I know they will fade eventually).

But the pros definitely outway the cons. I wouldn't want to go back to my life before I got the band. It is not a cure all by any means. You have to be dedicated to totally changing your lifestyle. Good luck!

Im doing fine. Im not as excited as I thought I would be. I've been through this process before. I had my date twice before and never actually did it due to scheduling conflicts. So I think I exhausted all my "cloud 9-ness".