Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Watson pricing???

Hi everyone:smile:,

I have an appointment with Dr. Watson at his murdoch office in October this year, which I am fine with. I am a little nervous and scared and soooo anxious that I can hardly wait to see him:scared2:.

I am more worried though that I will not have enough money to back my little venture. Has anyone recently been banded by him? Is there a long wait from the time of your appointment to op date? and what sort of out of pocket expenses did you have to pay, including the anaethesists? Do you have to go with his recommended anaethests or can you choose your own? I have saved really hard over the last few months and have finally (hopefully) got enough money. Please if anyone has been banded by him could you let me know what to expect from him as a doctor as well as the financial side of things?

Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon...:crying:

Hey perth Chick. I was banded by Dr Watson, had to wait about 6 weeks from appointment to surgery and out of pocket expenses was about $1900 (I am with HBF). Was well worth it, he is a great surgeon and a nice man, good luck.

Thanks Cherry, makes me feel a little bit more confident that I have the finance to help me realise my dream of NOT being the fat chick in the room.....if you know what I mean.

How much weight have you lost in total if you don't mind me asking?

I got banded in Jan and have lost 38 kilos. It hasn't always been easy, but Dr Watson is a very nice man and always makes time for you, you are in good hands :-)

Hey your a bit ahead of me. My appointment is 30th october. Im really keen to bud up with someone for support. Im a 39 year old nurse mum of 3 . Im also going to watson so if your looking for a good net supporter keep in touch as we will probable not be far off in op dates. ;)

Ke Bear, that will be great!!! Would love someone to chat with for support....I'm 34yr mum of 1 very active little 15month old boy. I will definately keep in contact with you.....Thanks it will be great!!

Wow Cherry!!! that is loads of weight. Well Done you. Were you sore after the op? were you able to choose your own anaethesist? I am a little concerned as to whether or not my health fund will cover this op. I called them today and they said that if the op is for cosmetic reasons then it would not be covered!!! So question would be how do I find out if this is for health reasons and not for cosmetic reasons?? I am so confused and so upset as to what they have said. I don't want to go thru with an appointment and be told that yes I am morbidly obese but it is not life threatening therefore I can not have the op......I just feel like rolling up in a big ball and crying.....

Help someone I don't know what to do next??

When is you appointment? I too am concerned re cost of out of pocket expenses . Also who else i may have to pay eg dieticial and top up appointments etc:scared2:

That's ok. I have my appointment on the 17th Oct. in the morning. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have an array of medication which I am currently on...hopefully I will be able to get the operation done. I think that we would probably have to pay for the top up fills each time, but I have heard anything about a dietician or pyschologist etc....

Wow Cherry!!! that is loads of weight. Well Done you. Were you sore after the op? were you able to choose your own anaethesist? I am a little concerned as to whether or not my health fund will cover this op. I called them today and they said that if the op is for cosmetic reasons then it would not be covered!!! So question would be how do I find out if this is for health reasons and not for cosmetic reasons?? I am so confused and so upset as to what they have said. I don't want to go thru with an appointment and be told that yes I am morbidly obese but it is not life threatening therefore I can not have the op......I just feel like rolling up in a big ball and crying.....

Help someone I don't know what to do next??

Hey Perthchick, I was a bit sore, but mostly very tired after the op. I am a stay at home mum so i didn't have to worry about work, but lifting my 2 year old was hard, so i had to organise help. After a week aI felt pretty good, and I reckon after 2 weeks I was back to normal.

I didn't choose my anaethetist, but the anaethtist was a really nice man and he charged no out of pocket expense.

I am not sure what health fund you are with, but i am with HBF, and they covered me. My friend is with medibank private and she was covered. I don't think you have much to worry about, especially with your health conditions.

Fills usually cost $150, and with that you get back just over $100

If you are anxious, maybe you should ask to be put on a wait list for any canceled appointments and you may be ableto get in sooner.

Good luck, and if you need a friend, i am here:regular_smile:

Hi perthchick I was banded by Dr Watson in March and paid $1800 to him and $700 to the anaesthetist. I have private cover with Medibank private.

Good luck, like others have said Watson is a fantastic Dr very easy to get on with and talk to.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and support:rolleyes2: My health fund is HBA and when they said that they would not cover my op if it were for cosmetic reasons......I think that I will just go to my appointment, cause God knows I am not waiting for another 6 weeks to see him. I have already put off my op before because of my other health issues. :lol: and I don't want anything to stand in my way. This is the last year that I am going to be morbidly obese, I will not be fat for the rest of my life and I will not waste anymore time being like this!!!!

Nat36 I think that I might have been in the office when you were there too. You have lost sooo much weight in such a short amount of time.....has it been difficult for you?

I am kicking myself right now for not going to see him sooner.

Good luck everyone and thankyou all again for your support and advice. :smile2:

I was banded by Dr Watson on the 1st of August. He fit me in because of my work and uni commitments, and I had my pre-op appt 3 weeks after my first call to him, and my surgery 1 and a 1/2 weeks later.

I'm with HBF too so paid $1950 to Dr Watson, nothing for the anaesthetist and $136 out of pocket for my hospital stay.

Call HBA again and ask if they cover gastric banding specifically - I know HBF does not consider it cosmetic surgery. Also maybe speak to Dr Watson's receptionist to see if they deal with HBA often. They deal with so many patients that they may have some idea of HBA's policies on the surgery.

Good luck and I hope the surgery rolls round quickly for you, and your insurance issues are resolved.

Perthchick, I dont know if I am the norm but I have found it very easy. It was like along with the band a switch was flicked in my brain and suddenly I became sane and rational about food instead of wanting to eat bucket loads. I have taken up exercise and the weight has just fallen off, I never in my wildest imagination thought I would have come this far so soon but I am very happy.

I still have moments when I eat too fast and it comes back up but they are becoming fewer and further and I dont even bother to try and eat before about 12.40 each day, I am learning what works and its all good.

I dont need another fill until next year now so thats great.

I hope everything goes well for you and you have success too, we all deserve it.