Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on 8/21/08. I have had hunger pains and also have eaten 2 grilled cheese sandwiches and some chicken. I thought was going to be sent to prison for life for the cheating, I have appt with dr on sept 8th and promised myself to do better today. hope you all the luck.

Restlessmonkey,

Your response seems very angry? Are you sure you are not angry at yourself? You couldn't even follow the preop instructions and they couldn't do the band! How can you be so judgemental to the people who are having problems after surgery? Do you think you will be any different?

Sorry for my anger, but I just felt you were very judgemental and we need support and encouragement here.

You're entitled to your opinion mominfla as I am mine. And the only reason you know I didn't get the surgery the first time because of my fatty liver is because I made no bones about it and why the surgeon couldn't do it. I believe in accepting responsibility. This second go-round I DID follow my doc's instructions to the letter and he was very pleased. So no, I'm not angry with myself. I was, immediately post op, because I knew I was the one to blame. Then I got on with doing what I was supposed to. I am just not a whiner, I guess.

I'm going to agree with restlessmonkey. I'm sorry if this isn't the popular answer but you all have just had surgery, some of you paid a lot of money, others jumped through many hoops to have it paid for. Do you really think taking the chance your band could slip is worth not fighting the head hunger and not following your doctors orders? You are worth it, help your band help you by following your instructions to the letter. Just because whatever you ate didn't bother you doesn't mean it didn't have any effect internally.

that post that Leslie wrote is so wonderful, i'm quoting it and bringing it over... in case someone doesnt have time to click the link.

If you have recently been banded please read this. I'm hoping to save many of you grief and stop you from driving yourself crazy with unanswered questions. This thread is not directed towards one person and I'm hoping to help some of you out. I've read about a dozen threads lately, and responded to a few, about the following:

There are a few stages you will be going through in the next couple of weeks. liquids - they suck, Mushies - they suck too, Soft Foods - Ah, life is getting better and finally Normal Foods. Somewhere in there is Bandhell. I want to cover the sucky stages; liquids and Mushies as well as Bandhell.

Liquids - this is the stage you will most likely lose the most weight.

1st and most importantly of all - follow your doctors instructions. If he tells you stay on a week - do that, if you're told liquids for three weeks - please follow his orders. You didn't have major abdominal surgery to cheat and put yourself at risk. It's not a picnic - it's also not forever. Hang in there.

Mushies - you may have to wait a couple of weeks before you can enjoy the pallet of a one year old. Truly - the first time you get some "flavor" other than chicken broth, popcicles and Jello - is wonderful. It's also deceptive. After weight falling off of you at an amazing speed - you may actually gain weight. It is OK - this is normal. Don't freak out! There is nothing wrong with you and you've done nothing wrong. You may think it is okay to start adding back "normal foods". You think your body is ready, after all everything seems to go down fine. Don't do it unless you call your doctor and he says it is okay. Now is also when you have to start learning how to deal with head hunger.

The first six weeks following surgery is for healing. Let me say that again, HEALING. Don't push yourself and cheat just because you are missing chewing or eating your favorite foods. Everyone that has been banded has been in your shoes. We all know how you feel and it is no fun. Remember this is only temporary. You will eventually get to eat as normally as possible for a bandster. I say that because after banding your life will never be as it was before. It is something that takes adjusting and time.

BANDSTER HELL - After six weeks (or so), the doc finally approves you to move on to normal eating. You are so hungry by now you feel like you could eat a horse. About this same time you should get your first fill. This should help some of your hunger. Don't expect it to though. It often takes more than one fill to get you to your sweet spot (the perfect adjustment level for your band). More than likely you'll be in Bandster Hell. You have a band, but it really isn't going like you thought it was. You can still eat more than you want and you have another month (or more sometimes) before your next fill. You may be going off of willpower alone. Here's some things that may help:

• Start Logging Your Foods - keep track of your Protein, calories and daily intake. Use paper if you want. There are great websites out there that have online programs just for that.
  • Start An Exercise Program - Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are exercising regularly you may be putting on muscle - thus you weigh more
  • Measure Yourself - You often lose inches when the pounds aren't coming off
  • Weigh Yourself, but don't become obsessive. I weigh once a week - at first it was daily, sometimes more than that. Every ounce would drive me insane when I did that. The scale makes me accountable
  • Measure your food. Know how much of something is going into your body

My last word of advice - Don't compare your weight loss to anyone elses. You are only setting yourself up for heartbreak. We all lose weight very differently. Some people are put on different pre-op programs, every doctor is different on their post-op diets as well. Someone that has been on liquids for three to four weeks will have a larger weight loss than someone that hasn't. Our metabolisms are different. We should be losing 1-2 pounds a week with the band. You should lose slowly - so don't get discouraged or angry if you aren't down 50 pounds in two months.

I'm finally near my sweet spot and it took four months to get there. Being banded isn't easy - it is hard work. It is only a tool and a tool is only as good as its user.

In ending I must say there have been ups and downs for me since April, but every struggle was and is worth it. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. I have learned so much about myself in the past few months. I've learned how to deal with addictions and demons I refused to face in the past. I've also learned to love me again and know I am worth the battle.

that post that Leslie wrote is so wonderful, i'm quoting it and bringing it over... in case someone doesnt have time to click the link.

Losing you beat me to it.

I'm slipping in here to post while at work so not always easy. But I was just wrapping up a post to this thread that also copied Leslie's post over when I thought I ought to double check for any other new posts before I sent mine.

I just had to post in here to say that this message board is better than any book you could ever buy, and any doctor you could ever talk to. There is so much information on here, and it has helped me immensely in my Quest for knowledge about the band I am getting in ... 69 days!!! :tt2:

I would like to add the liquid and even the mushie stage like Leslie said is for healing purposes not for torture. But it is also worth making it clear that the damage you can do to yourself by not following the doctors post-op diet may can sometime not be found for months or even years later. These stages are vital to helping the stomach heal with the band in an optimal position to reduce the risk of complications such as slippage or erosion.

Yes the risks of these complications may be relatively small and I know of no stats that can say how much those risks are elevated by not following the post-op diet but the fact is it does increase those risks.

If you have "cheated" STOP NOW! Even if you feel fine and are losing weight you may be setting yourself up for complications down the road. NONE of us here wish that on anyone and we ALL wish nothing but the best for everyone here. I am not trying to beat any of you up for what you may have ate. Whatever it was its done and over with and any of us on LBT that appear to have a problem with it need to get over it and move forward with being there to support you on the rest of your journey.

But understand part of that support is writing posts like this one in the hopes we can help stop you from taking any additional risks as well as the hope of stopping someone else reading this thread before they fall off their post-op diet.

If you have "cheated" STOP NOW! Even if you feel fine and are losing weight you may be setting yourself up for complications down the road. NONE of us here wish that on anyone and we ALL wish nothing but the best for everyone here. I am not trying to beat any of you up for what you may have ate. Whatever it was its done and over with and any of us on LBT that appear to have a problem with it need to get over it and move forward with being there to support you on the rest of your journey.

But understand part of that support is writing posts like this one in the hopes we can help stop you from taking any additional risks as well as the hope of stopping someone else reading this thread before they fall off their post-op diet.

brilliantly said (as always)

I agree with all these posts. I know my doc has an extremely low complication rate, and part of that is attributed to the fact that he has us on a very rigid program. 2 weeks post-op liquids (first week clear and second week creamed), and then 2 weeks of mushies. The reason, as you said, is not to torture us but to allow us to heal. I know there are many patients that are allowed to eat chicken, etc day 3, and if your doc says ok, then ok. However, if not, think about it. If you are in the hospital sick or having any other surgery, they put you on a soft diet. Well, consider this your soft diet.

And yes, it's hard. But like some have mentioned, when you pay for this out of your own pocket, it's important to follow the rules or you may waste all of that money. The people who have insurance companies pay for them are so lucky, and grateful. Please don't give insurance companies more reason to not pay for surgeries.

And if you do cheat once in a while, it's normal. We are not perfect. Just try to make better choices. And remember that we are here to support each other, not make each other feel like s--t about what we are doing. Be firm but kind. That's always a good thing to be. Now, get off your arse and get going! LOL!

I woke up from surgery hungry. They only gave me two huge bowls of Jello and tea etc. I could have eaten Mexican the next day after surgery, it was so hard not to when I was in the airport and couldnt eat anything where I was.

Some people are swollen after surgery for a couple of weeks and some of us werent and are hungry.

Buy cans of Protein shakes and sip them whenver you are so hungry. They may not be wonderful, but at least they will fill you up. Im too lazy to make the shakes in a blender, so I bought cans ready made.