Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All!

I have to be honest and confess because I feel terrible. I was banded on 8/20 and most of my pain is gone. That was merely 4 days ago!! In fact, I am starting a new job tomorrow and feel totally ready! I am so excited that I had this surgery and am committed to losing this weight that has burdened me for 20 years!

I am obviously still on the liquid diet and will be for more weeks to come. I got weak tonight, was hungry for the first time since surgery and ate solid food. I ate 4 triscuit crackers with a slice of American cheese, and a Michaelina's frozen dinner which was ravioli alfredo. I did not get sick at all nor feel overly full. But I feel really guilty and disappointed in myself. I have made a promise to myself to get right back on liquids when I wake up tomorrow morning.

Has anyone else ever experienced hunger this quickly after surgery? I know my first fill won't be for another 6 weeks or so, but still...:) I am really worried and would appreciate some advice. :)

I had surgery on 8/18. I also have been hungry but have not eaten any food. I'm worried about a) stretching my pouch, and :) damaging the band.

I think you need to drink more Protein if you get hungry again. And if you live alone, get rid of the food in your house. You could really do some damage to your body if you continue to eat!

I would also talk to your doctor tomorrow. I have been VERY hungry, but despite that, it's important to continue to drink only liquids. I find that if I drink more Protein, I can keep from starving.

I think EVERYONE is hungry a few days post op. At least, that's what I've read. Someone would have to force feed me to get me to eat though; I'm too scared of hurting my pouch or it not healing right. After my liver fiasco I've learned to do what my doc says. I can take hunger for a while. It won't be the first time.

I think it's so strange because some docs allow solid foods quickly after surgery. I know that the stitches need to heal and that the stomach needs time to form around the band. My problem is eating too fast. I can eat a whole container of Soup and feel full, and then a little later I feel pain by my ribcage. I'm guessing that is a type of non-filled type of restriction. So, I'm not eating solids, but I think I've been eating too much even though I'm losing.

I also would suggest Protein when you get hungry. I know it will also help you with Hair loss. Eat yogurt. Drink some concentrated protein, like IDS whey bullets. It's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck!

Hi - I am on board with Littlefroggy - I was banded on 8/19 and am on Clear Liquids until this Wednesday. I have not strayed because of the fear of doing some early damage. There are times that I feel a little hungry but all in all it hasn't been too bad. I just make sure that I get the Protein drinks in. I feel like my body went through alot and I do not want to hurt the process. Good luck to you.

Mary

Thank you for all the posts, everyone! Today I went to my best friend's house after work (my first day by the way and of course I was uncomfortable without the liquid pain killers!) only to walk in on her cooking fried pork chops and mashed potatoes for the family. It looked amazing and I was really hungry. But I just stuck to it, had some sugar free pudding and juice, came home a few hours later, had broth and baby food and called it a day! =)

It really means a lot that these posts are there and that we can be there for each other!

Thank you so much again for the words of encouragement!

Vegas

What types of Soup are you eating? I am 6 days post op and I am still doing clear liquids. But would like to "beef" that up a little. Bad pun, huh? How about "boost" it up a little?

I'm actually on full liquids for my pre-op and have discovered that the Campbell's Creamy Tomato Soup-at-Hand is good and the Campbell's boxed soup that Vegas told me about. Both are much more filling than even a canned soup! I've also enjoyed a cup of sugarfree, ff cocoa with some unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury mixed in.

Vegas

What types of Soup are you eating? I am 6 days post op and I am still doing clear liquids. But would like to "beef" that up a little. Bad pun, huh? How about "boost" it up a little?

Irish, right now I'm eating creamed Soups, but my all-time favorite will be chicken noodle....something from my childhood, I guess. But I've had that southwestern corn from campbell's select in the gold box. Wunderbar! I hate mushroom and I'm not a big Tomato Soup fan. I like the bean and bacon and potato soups and will blenderize. Last night I went to Claimjumper and had their baked potato soup. I had to mash the potato parts down, but it was AWESOME! Make sure you only order a cup and not a bowl. I could have eaten the entire thing it was so good. I can eat yogurt and pudding. I love the Jello SF dulce creme pudding...it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! It's hard for me to stop at 1 or even 2.

Last night I went to support group and was reminded to slow down and keep portion sizes at half a cup. It's hard to do when all you get is liquids or semi-liquids.

I starting getting really hungry about 4 days after surgery and ate some pureed potato Soup and that helped. I was only able to eat a few bites at a sitting though. But when I went to the Dr. for my 1 week check-up he said that the reason I was so hungry was because my swelling was quickly going away and leaving a lot of space between my stomach and my band. This is all very good and he let me move to the mooshie stage a week early. Call your Dr. maybe you can advance to the next level too.

Good Luck and don't worry I think we all slip from time to time. I know that I am eating things that aren't "mooshie" like the half of a pork chop that I had for dinner last night. But I just chew it really well and so far I have lost 17 pounds and my Dr. says I am doing great.

We are all different.

The reason for the liquid diet, is because you have stitches around your band that need to heal.

liquids pass through your stomach with little movement.

When you eat a solid, your stomach pumps, think of like how your heart works.

When your stomach pumps, stitches can be pulled, and your band can be shifted, and this could eventually lead to a slipped band.

You really need to follow the diet strictly, despite how good you may feel.

They don't put you on the diet just to torture you!

I was also banded on 8/20 and moved to muchie stage today, although yesterday had eggs and Beans mashed. I feel hungry, feel as if I can eat as much as I did before! I had 2 cups of Soup and some goldfish. I feel horrible and know that I should be more disciplined, not to mention scared that I might hurt my band. I will try to pull back. I can't make the same mistakes I have made all my life.

I was banded on July 24, and had a 2 week liquid diet to do prior to surgery. After surgery, I had 2 days of all liquids than a week of mushies then the 2nd week anything that I wanted. On my 2 liquid diet I cheated alittle bit but with the best thing that I could think of. Egg Drop Soup. I figure the egg white pieces would just be a little boost of Protein. Now I'm not saying it was right or right for anyone else to do. But I did still lose. And it seemed to stick with me more than just broth. Thicker or something. It was the only soup I could stand just for the fact that it was around 95 degree's here. Too hot for soup!!:thumbup: And of course I had some of it after my surgery too. Boy it sure tasted good.

You know, we're all grown ups. Sure it isn't fun to be hungry

But surely we can suck it up for a little bit so our stomachs and stomas can heal! I mean, good grief! We've had SURGERY for goodness' sake. Do what your surgeon tells you to heal.

As they say, put on your big girl panties and deal with it. It will be over pretty quickly! Better than risking slippage etc.

No wonder they say people in other countries lose better with the band than we do. We don't do what our docs tell us, thinking we know better. Well, we don't know better or we wouldn't be "obese" or "morbidly obese" in the first place.

JMO...I'm heavier than all of you I think so I know I have tremendous overeating issues and even didn't do what the surgeon said and couldn't get my 1st surgery. Maybe because that happened to me and I didn't squeak by, I've learned a lesson. I sure hope so.

Since you are hungry I would suggest contacting your doctor to find out what you should/shouldn't be having. You can do a lot of damage to your stomach if you are eating the wrong foods too soon. Even though it goes down okay isn't always what's best. Your stomach is supposed to be healing so you don' t have problems later on.