Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've just joined this forum. I'm over 50 (slightly) and got a realize band from Dr. Kirshenbaum (Aurora, Colorado) on July 30th, 2008. I live in a remote rural area and am looking for support and information. I'm doing well and I've lost 15 pounds since the surgery.

Welcome to the forum! You will love all the information and support you will find a LBT!

If you have a Realize band, your best online support is going to come from the Realize website.....the surgeon should have given you a code or password to get into that website. If not, please call them and ask for one....it's very helpful. Of course, you are also welcome to read and post on any of the other boards, too, any time......just wanted to make sure you are aware of the Realize board.

I find it interesting he gave you a realize band. I was banded by Dr.K in april and he said he only uses the ap lapband. Would be interesting to find out why he changed . Lizzieann

I've just joined this forum. I'm over 50 (slightly) and got a realize band from Dr. Kirshenbaum (Aurora, Colorado) on July 30th, 2008. I live in a remote rural area and am looking for support and information. I'm doing well and I've lost 15 pounds since the surgery.

I would like to know the differance between the Realize Band and Lap Band?

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try and answer your questions. As I understand it, the Realize Band has been used in Europe for quite some time and has not been available in the US for as long. The port has a lower profile and prongs which help it to attach although I believe Dr. K also stitches it in. It also holds a bigger fill up to 10 cc (I think). However, from my reading on this site it sounds like several people are at or very near max fill and don't feel much restriction. I can definitely tell the difference and can't eat anywhere near the amount I used to even though I haven't gotten my first fill yet. I don't know if that's because I'm still swollen from the surgery or if it's the band, or a combination of the two. I liked the port profile much better and wanted the greater fill possibilities because I felt that it might give me more options which may be important at my age???.

As for Dr. Kirshenbaum - He said that the Realize Band is more expensive. I know that he really tries to make the surgery as cost-effective as possible to give more people access to the procedure in the U.S. Maybe that's why he hasn't done them until lately. He did give me the same price as the Lap Band which he said he will do until he completes 10 of the surgeries because then the price of the band to him was going up.

As for the Realize Band website - it's totally great, I just wanted more contact.

Again, thanks for the welcome and the questions.

pt

I'm not completely NW, but definately on the Western Slope, I too am looking for knowledge from people who have been there and done that since there are few, if any, doctors in our part of the world who understand banding.

I'm also being banded by Dr. K - I've had only good interactions with him and his staff thus far, I expect nothing less through this experience.

Hope all goes well for you. The surgery center is top notch - private, comfortable, and helpful people. Watch the ride home, that was a little hard for me. I was really happy with Dr. K's pre-op appointment and the surgery itself. He found a large hiatal hernia and repaired that as well (which I guess is pretty standard). I go back to Denver for my first fill on September 8th. I stayed with friends while I was there and really glad that I did. Are you going directly home?

Hi Ya'll,

I'm going to a seminar tonight to get my first glimpse into lap banding and I'm excited. I plan to use my insurance and shop around for a doctor that 'fits' me. I'm in the Dallas area and will see Dr. Marsden/Dr Felt at the lapband solutions meeting tonight. I'm looking forward to getting the process started.

Kathi

Hope all goes well for you. The surgery center is top notch - private, comfortable, and helpful people. Watch the ride home, that was a little hard for me. I was really happy with Dr. K's pre-op appointment and the surgery itself. He found a large hiatal hernia and repaired that as well (which I guess is pretty standard). I go back to Denver for my first fill on September 8th. I stayed with friends while I was there and really glad that I did. Are you going directly home?

I'm planning on staying in Denver for one night following surgery, I'm just too much of a chicken in case something goes wrong...better safe than sorry on Vail Pass.

Thanks for the ino on the staff and surgery center. Drive safely for your fill.