Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did my Surgeon put a bowling ball in my Tummy?

Looking to see if anyone else is exprencing the same problem as me.

I was banded on August 12th. Everything went well with the surgery and my surgeon even remarked to my husband what a beautiful liver I have! I too am a bit discouraged that I haven't lost much weight (lost about 3 lbs.) and I know I'm still carring around Water weight from the surgery. Hopefully things will speed up in the next week or so.

I have 4 small 1/2" size incisions on my belly and a large 2" one in the middle of my belly, slightly to the left and just over where my belly button is. I'm assuming this is were the port is?

SO after experiencing about a week and a half a gas, that's eased off a bit, but I feel like there's a ball in my belly. When I bend over, I feel like there's an obstruction. Almost like it felt when I was pregnant. If I lay on my stomach I can feel it there too.

Is this normal? Am I just swollen and need to be patient, or is this the way it will alwaly feel?

I go to the Dr's on Monday and will ask him about then, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and if it went away.

i think you need to give your body time to adjust to a foreign object inside it.

i felt my port and band when i laid down in the beginning and now i rarely feel it at all unless i bend over on my left side extremely odd angled.

but the best advice i can give you is to ask your doc.

I can feel my port, but not my band. I have lost about 20 lbs since the surgery 3 weeks ago. I had a hard time eating and drinking. Until about 2 days ago, I was lucky if I got 1/4 cup per meal in me.

Oh! I know what you mean. I always feel sick towards the end of the day. I usually have trouble keeping my pants around my belly because of the port sight. It kind of reminded me of when I was pregnant. I literally felt sick if anybody touch my stomach or if the waist band from my pants were around my stomach. That's the way it feels sometime and I try to relieve the discomfort by putting my waist band up under my stomach but sometimes that doesn't help. So by the end of the day I'm running to get home so that I can strip down and put on my roomie night gown. Also after the surgery my tummy looked so funny it looked like it was loped sided...like there was a lump on the left side. Weird! But I do feel you on what you're feeling. Oh yea! I forgot to mention I had had episode where I felt a sharp and dull pain near the port site and I called and talked to the nurse. The nurse informed me that I had nothing to be scared about, and he's seen this in a lot of patients... He described it as scarred tissue. I explained that my incision is completely healed and that the pain came from that area but underneath the port incision. The nurse told me that was scarred tissue forming. I thought that maybe it was the port flipping:blushing:

I'm right where you are exactly, except I've only lost a pound. I describe my belly as a puffed up whoopee cushion and I'm ready for it to go away!

I'm glad I'm not alone with my feeling like I do in my tummy. I too was a bit paranoid that what I was feeling might have been bacause my port had flipped. This is the first time I ever had abdominal surgery so I had no idea what to expect. I was expecting some pain, but this funny obstruction feeling was unexpected.

I'm looking forward to talking to the Dr. on Monday so that he can set my fears to rest.

It took a while for the puffy belly to go back down. I had to really get used to the port, which I expected, but didnt know what it would feel like. I'm three weeks out tomorrow and it hardly bothers me at all now. It will take a while for my body to be okay with it, but it's not really painful anymore. I still notice it when I bend to tie my shoes or if I bump up against something, but it's much better now. Hope this helps!

I could really feel my port in the beginning, but now I hardly notice it unless I bump my belly or lay on my left side. It is more an uncomfortable feeling than pain, when I lay on my side.

I am sure as it heals it will become less noticable.

Oh! I know what you mean. I always feel sick towards the end of the day. I usually have trouble keeping my pants around my belly because of the port sight. It kind of reminded me of when I was pregnant. I literally felt sick if anybody touch my stomach or if the waist band from my pants were around my stomach. That's the way it feels sometime and I try to relieve the discomfort by putting my waist band up under my stomach but sometimes that doesn't help. So by the end of the day I'm running to get home so that I can strip down and put on my roomie night gown. Also after the surgery my tummy looked so funny it looked like it was loped sided...like there was a lump on the left side. Weird! But I do feel you on what you're feeling. Oh yea! I forgot to mention I had had episode where I felt a sharp and dull pain near the port site and I called and talked to the nurse. The nurse informed me that I had nothing to be scared about, and he's seen this in a lot of patients... He described it as scarred tissue. I explained that my incision is completely healed and that the pain came from that area but underneath the port incision. The nurse told me that was scarred tissue forming. I thought that maybe it was the port flipping:blushing:

OMG! I'm so glad I found this post. Just today, I feel this hard bump right underneath my biggest incision. My doc says that my port is LOWER than that. So, why do I feel this hard area that hurts when I press on it if it's nowhere near where my port should be? Is it scar tissue like you said? Should I call me doc? Anybody? I feel like I can't move because what if my port has flipped?