Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been hiding...now I'm back needing support

Hi all. I was banded 01/04/08. I'm almost 8 months out and I've only lost 25-30 pounds (depending on the day). My problem is, I have a 9cc band, and I'm at 8cc's. For a few months I was at 7.5 cc with very little restriction, but getting everything stuck within the first 2-3 bites of food. After a painful stick, or a painful PB, I could then eat normally. I have not been able to eat bread, Pasta, flour tortillas, etc. for about 4 months now. The problem is I went and spoke with my surgeon about it this past Monday, and after discussion, he gave me another 0.5 cc. Now I think I'm TOO tight. I have PB'd almost every bite of food I've taken in the last 2 days, except for when I broke down and ate ice cream tonight just to make my stomach stop growling.

My main fear is that if I get Fluid taken out, I STILL won't have proper restriction. Before this last fill, when I could eat real meals, I was still packing away nearly 2 cups of food. I was getting numerous things stuck, but after the stick it's almost like my stoma loosens or something and then I can eat. Now that is not even possible after this last fill. What if I go in and he takes out 1 cc or something and I'm back to having no restriction again?

I'm NOT losing. I'm exercising, I'm drinking plenty of fluids, my bites are tiny, I'm taking Vitamins...WHY AM I NOT LOSING? My doc keeps saying "You've lost 25-30...good for you...be patient"....but this is killlllllllllling me. My scale hasn't moved in months. I lost the majority during my first 3 months and then stopped. I'm starting to think I picked the WRONG surgery.

What am I doing wrong? I'm slipping into a depression over this and I feel like I'm not getting any answers from my surgeon. He just keeps telling me I'm not patient. I AM patient. If I was losing a pound a week average then THAT would be patience. I don't know what to do about this. I'm embarrassed. People keep looking me up and down and saying "Hey, didn't you have that surgery?"

UGH. I just wanna crawl in a hole. :thumbup:

I had the same problems of pb'ing everything after my last fill. I discovered the problem was that I was eating too fast and not chewing enough for the new fill level. I also wasnt going on liquids after a pb to let my stomach settle.

Perhaps if you spend a day or two on liquids to mushies, you might find that this fill may be OK.

If you are following all the steps, the weight has to come off even if it is slow. How many calorites are you taking in daily? Are you tracking your calories and Protein daily?

I know I need to go back to tracking my calories. I stopped doing that about 3 months ago because I just threw in the towel. I am slipping back into a mild depressive state again (the fat depression, you know) and I have to pull myself up by my boot straps and get through this. I'm fighting like hell, and not seeing results. My bites were soooo tiny the last 3 days after that fill. Everything is getting stuck, except for oatmeal, pudding & ice cream (the last one is not good to eat I know). Oh, and I had some Smart Pop popcorn last night and that went down fine. So I guess I'm not too tight or I wouldn't even be able to get down anything, right?

Honestly, my bites can't get smaller unless I stop eating altogether. I'm doing "smaller than a kernel of corn" right now, per doc's suggestion, and it still hurts like the dickens in my esophagus...and then it all comes back up.

Hi MamaJava,

I haven't been banded very long (2 months) so I know I can't give you more helpful advise than someone who has been banded longer. I just want to say I think you should relax. Sit down and think about what you are eating. Be honest with yourself and keep a journal of everything you eat and record your exercise. If you make sure your calories, sugar, and carbs are low I don't see how you can't lose. I know you say you are not eating breads and Pasta but carbs are in a lot of other things as well and in high numbers. I keep my food and exercise journal on my computer. Anytime I pick something up to eat I go straight to my computer and type it in along with the calories, fat, carbs, sugar, and Protein it provides. If you just have to have ice cream try low fat yogurt. I eat the low fat yogurt or no sugar added ice cream but I only eat it maybe two to three times a month. I don't eat it everyday. You could also try sugar free/fat free pudding made with 1/2% milk. I love that, I sometimes mix bananas in it. Other than that just make sure you are doing everything you possibly can to lose the weight. I know I want to lose this weight so bad and I will not sabotage my success by eating things I know I shouldn't eat.

I dont know the answer to this as I sometimes have similar issues, if I get stuck and then PB the whole thing loosens up and I can eat a big meal.......

I do wonder sometimes if what I think of as a stuck is actually my fill level, but then it changes daily ( fookin hourly sometimes!)

I did get overfilled a few months ago - wow that was stressful - and ended up in the ER getting an emergency unfill, so I know the difference, and I am not too tight.......hmmm I dont know hon.

You definatly need to chew and take your time over a meal, I always try to eat while I am online, that way I have a mouthful, type some have another mouthful.... it slows me right down and stops me from trying to cram too much in.

I cannot eat any type of bread, I will get stuck instantly, so there is an element of a learning curve. You have to work out what foods work for you by trial and error.

The other thing that helps sometimes is having the first 2 or 3 mouthfuls then stopping and walking around, it feels like the band has to loosen up a touch before I can carry on.

Sorry I cant be more help hon.

It does sound like you are too tight . . . and if it is getting you away from eating solid Proteins and veggies comfortably and ingesting too many soft calories, that can certainly stally your weight loss.

Tracking is sooo important for me when I stall. I usually find that I am ingesting more than expected. A bite here and bite there really add up when you are paying attention.

Perhaps some tracking and a miniscule unfill might put you back in a better position to start losing again. Hang in the there.

MamaJava,

Don't be discourage hun. I have not been banded yet so I cannot give you any advice on what to do but you already doing the right steps in talking to your doctor and coming here to talk to others. I know this is a very rough and hard process but you will get through it. Believe in yourself and trust in yourself. The weight will come off as you go through the process. Please keep coming here and talk to others. I think everyone has some great suggestions on things you can do. Oh and stay away from the icecream :smile2: The only suggestion I can give.

I wanted to send you some encouragement and ask you to call your Dr. and tell him of the issues your having. Maybe see if he would suggest a nutrionalist.

I wish you the best and hope you get your issues taking care of. Just keep swimming.

MamaJava,

I've had both experiences of PBing far too frequently and at other times, being too tight (see my fill line in my sig). When I was PBing a lot, it started with maybe taking too big of a bite and/or not chewing as much as I thought I did. But the really big mistake I was making was not realizing that there is swelling after a PB that maxes out around 24-48 hours later. It's really important to go to liquids/mushies to allow that healing time. Otherwise, you're just getting tighter with each PB/subsequent swelling. It's a bad cycle.

Too tight (IMHO) is when you can eat solid food but if you do have a PB and then can't get liquids down the next day. Been there too. Like someone else said earlier, go back to liquids and then mushies for a few days. Let everything heal. Do not substitute ice cream for liquids. Use your Protein shakes. Keep it healthy and keep the faith. We will succeed, but it does take time....:smile2:

I have almost exact same issues...I was banded in Nov and only lost 28lbs which was at first and have been bouncing up and down about 2-4lbs...but I have to be honest I do not diet, I just eat less..bt sometimes I do eat normal and I can...waiting on my medical records to get here so I can go to a doc and get a fill and get with a nutritionist I am someone who needs a meal plan & I know that! i love food and I can not say no and as a result I have not lost or gained.. I am starting to exercise again...to be honest I was exercising and dieting with no results for over a year that is why I got the band and now I am getting back on track..s-l-o-w-l-y!!!

best to you if all these others can have success we can too!

I would go back to liqs then mushies for a day or two. If still trouble, check on having just 0.2cc remov'd. Once you get this corrected, then you'll be ready to get back on track. Then make sure you're getting in enough Protein, limit carbs, lots of green veggies. Even yellow and orange ones will give you the missed starch carbs from white potatoes and rice.