Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken phen/fen who has also been banded?

Has anyone taken phen/fen who has also been banded? I just wondered how the effects compare. I was very successful with phen/fen years ago...the only diet success I've had.

Thanks!

~~anne

Has anyone taken phen/fen who has also been banded? I just wondered how the effects compare. I was very successful with phen/fen years ago...the only diet success I've had.

Thanks!

~~anne

Phen/fen taking together has been a no no for many yrs. its very dangerous.

Do a Google search on it . Phen/fen itself i believe was taken off the marekt a few yrs ago.

If your banded/ or getting the band , diets in my opinion are pointless.

the band does the work for you if you use to the tool the right way . I dont get the point of going through surgery THEN going on a "diet" or taking diet pills ?

use the band for what it is there for . Your weight did not come on over night its not gonna fall off over night. So be patient and it will come off.

The band works , it does. I have lost over 100pds in 10 months.

with only the band. I do not diets. Eat healhty, eat what you want , and follow the rules you WILL Lose !!

Good luck

Love

Mindy

Sorry...I must have stated my question wrong. I just wondered if the effects were the same. I know phen/fen has been off the market and is dangerous. I am hoping that, because phen/fen worked for me, the band will have a similar effect.

Thanks!

Sorry...I must have stated my question wrong. I just wondered if the effects were the same. I know phen/fen has been off the market and is dangerous. I am hoping that, because phen/fen worked for me, the band will have a similar effect.

Thanks!

AWWW gottcha , Sorry .

Well , I have PCOS and NOTHING worked for me before. I lost weight ONCE w/ Weight watchers and only 25lbs in a yr.

I am now down 100 pds ( I gained weight recently froma total unfill) after a yr . One thing i can tell you is to go into the band expecting ONE THING and one thing only . Expcet to LOSE and that's it ! Do not put a time frame on it , dont put a " i'll lose this amoutn of weight by this time" just expect to lose ! If you do that i dont think you will be disappointed !

Do not compare yourself to anyone else !

take a look at my blog in my signature line for more info on my weight loss if you like. But You can do it !!

Mindy

Hi, I took phentermine a few years ago and lost weight too. I think the band is similar to it because you don't feel hungry. But the band doesn't have the side effects that the drugs do, which is great. The band is MUCH better!!

I took fen phen for a time about 10 years ago, could be later than that and just prior to having it taken off the market. At the time it was wonderful for me as I was an at home transcriptionist and as it can be very boring I could only type for about four hours until needing a nap! It gave me a major energy boost to help with the typing and I also was taking off weight rapidly. Then it was taken off by the FDA and I put back what I had lost.

The energy level was something that helped me in weight loss and was not something I experienced with the lap band. I'm also on a lot of meds that tend to slow me down a lot and it counteracted those for a time. Naturally it was a drug that was damaging peoples' hearts and needed to be pulled off but made many of us sad.:tongue: It was a big issue during all my preop testing though and they made me have an echocardiogram because of the fen phen to make sure there was no damage done and I had only been on fen phen for a month or two at the most. My heart was fine. Hope this helps, Nancy.

I was a phen-fen lady too. Before my lap band, it was the only thing that worked for me. Now I am having tremendous success with my band. I feel full! I hope it works as well for you!

I took Redux several years ago, before it was removed from the market. I don't really see any similarities between the drug and the surgery for weight loss, and don't really thing there is any correlation between the two. The drug was an appetite supressant. The band is a physical deterrant from eating too much. Different thing entirely. However, I had some success with Redux, but much more with my band.

I took it also and lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks. Then it was pulled off the market. My insurance company made me have an EKG and echocardiogram before they would approve my surgery due to taking it. With the band it do get hungry, but can eat only a small amount of food. With the Phen-fen I never ate.

The band does suppress my appetite pretty good. I have to make myself eat most of the time.

That's how I felt while taking the medication. Oh, I have already had a heart ultrasound so I know the med didn't do any damage (thank God!).

Thanks to you all for your support...

~~anne

Thanks!

~~anne

good question, i too was successful with phen-fen.....was my downfall when it fell off the mkt.

I took Redux for 9 months when it came out. I lost around 60-70 pounds, and got down to about 240. For me, that was great and the med was a godsend. I was taken off of it before it went off the market, although I took Prozac and Fastin combo for a while afterwards (did not do as well on that -- didn't know at the time how bad Prozac was for my mental health!!)

Then later, when the whole suit against Phen/Fen and Redux came out, I signed up. Got like $500 in repayment for my meds and a free ECG. Found out that I had damage to 2 of my heart valves. No clue if this was related to the meds, or if I had it my whole life. Also, it is very minor damage and does not impact my life. It was considered compensable though...

I have done much better with the band, but it has been much harder work than with Redux. With Redux I sometimes would still eat far more than I should have -- certainly can't do that now. I never exercised beyond a walk now and then -- work out a whole lot more now. I also had that extra serotonin splashing around in my brain from the Redux. I felt on top of the world (of course, that was probably the mania I was feeling). I do miss that part. But I love my band and am so glad I took the plunge!

Bec

I took Redux as well. It was similar in the reactions to what I have experienced with the band. It made me stop eating, right there on the spot because I felt full. The difference is that I ate more then until I had that full feeling. But I would get up from the table the same way I get up now. It was the only successful way I lost weight in the past.

I am working harder now to lose weight in that I am making healthy food choices now and paying attention to what I eat.

Found out that I had damage to 2 of my heart valves. No clue if this was related to the meds, or if I had it my whole life.

Oh Greyhounder, I'm so sorry! I'm glad you found out!

I did get checked...fortunately, no damage. A local lady ended up with major heart damage, ended up with heart/lung transplant, and then died. :smile2: I'm afraid to take any diet drugs now.

~~anne