Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweet tooth back with a fury

I had surgery in April of 2007and lost about 70 lbs. Since January of this year I gained about 20 pounds. In January my sweet tooth went off scale. I have been battling it ever since. Sometimes good sometimes bad to the tune of 3 -5 lb increases at a time.

Also it seems like sometimes I could just eat and eat. Could I have stretched my pouch? Did my my band slip?

Does anyone have any thoughts? I was doing so good now I feel like I am going down the same old road

HELP!!!

I had surgery in April of 2007and lost about 70 lbs. Since January of this year I gained about 20 pounds. In January my sweet tooth went off scale. I have been battling it ever since. Sometimes good sometimes bad to the tune of 3 -5 lb increases at a time.

Also it seems like sometimes I could just eat and eat. Could I have stretched my pouch? Did my my band slip?

Does anyone have any thoughts? I was doing so good now I feel like I am going down the same old road

HELP!!!

Sound like you need to make an appointment with your doctor for a fill.

Congratulations on your weight loss!!!!

I find that my sweet tooth is usually cuased by insulin spikes and drops brought on by too many bad carbs in my diet. Are you taking in more food with flour, sugar or starches than you should? Are you eating plenty of Protein and high Fiber veggies and fruits? (protein first, then veggies then fruits). Are you following the band rules? (small bites, chew thoroughly and eat slowly, no drinks with meals etc.)

On days where you feel like you could eat and eat, is it "head" hunger or are you truly hungry? Head hunger could be due to insulin spikes or emotional. True hunger could mean that you need a fill or are not eating correctly.

The band doesn't make it impossible for you to eat and eat. It is designed to help you feel full not to make you stop eating. It does also sound like you do need to make an appoinment to see your doctor but see if it is possible for you to have an x-ray done first. I was once at a point where my band was too tight and it eventually got swollen shut and I had to start my band at being completely empty again. Just like Jodi says, certain carbs and sugars can make you feel more hungry sooner or also things high on sugar.

Take a step back and re-evaluate your diet. I found I was eating a little of this here and a little of that there and i gained about 10 pounds back around may. I am now back on track and have lost a little more than the 10 pounds I has gained. Once you get used to it, sometimes you kind of forget to not eat things out of habbit. Try to find other things that satisfy your sweet tooth. I'm a big chocolate and Peanut Butter person and it is hard to satisfy that craving without actually eating a reeses. :] just try to eat a meal and than have some kind of alternative like certain frozen yogurt can be low in calories and also satisfy that craving.

Keep up the good work and hang in there.

Carbs, chips, sweet things in general give me definite cravings that continue as long as I eat them. It was just too hard to constantly crave and then deny yourself. I am pretty sure I have a carb addiction. What is worse, these items go through my pouch with no problem, and fast as well. I had to learn to avoid them altogether on a daily basis.

One wonderful thing I learned is that if I get into the cravings, it only takes about a week of avoidance until I don't want them anymore.

I am not going to sugar coat this.....STOP EATING THE SWEETS!!!!!!!!! That is just the plain and simple facts. I did the same thing, and the more I ate of it the more I wanted it. I just had to step back and say, ok, IF I stop eating all this junk, will I lose again??? I did, and you can too!!!! I am not trying to be mean, but sometimes we KNOW what we have to do, we just need someone to point us in the right direction!!! Good luck to you and you can overcome this....

In January my sweet tooth went off scale. I have been battling it ever since. Sometimes good sometimes bad to the tune of 3 -5 lb increases at a time.

HELP!!!

Come On Honey...you can do it! It will be a rough road, but you should stop the sweets dead in their tracks. I agree that you will crave them much, much less after a week or so. Once we eat those carbs, we WANT them BADLY! Once you get past that week or two, if you get the sweeties go for those chocolate chew Calcium thingies. Just remember that your body can only absorb 500 g of Calcium at once, so don't go eating a bunch of them, k?!

Chomp down that Protein first, then non-starchy veggies. Once the weight starts coming down again, you'll get your motivation back on track. We're here for you :thumbup:

Congratulations on your weight loss!!!!

I find that my sweet tooth is usually cuased by insulin spikes and drops brought on by too many bad carbs in my diet. Are you taking in more food with flour, sugar or starches than you should? Are you eating plenty of Protein and high Fiber veggies and fruits? (protein first, then veggies then fruits). Are you following the band rules? (small bites, chew thoroughly and eat slowly, no drinks with meals etc.)

On days where you feel like you could eat and eat, is it "head" hunger or are you truly hungry? Head hunger could be due to insulin spikes or emotional. True hunger could mean that you need a fill or are not eating correctly.

MY PROBLEM MY PROBLEM MY PROBLEM!!!:thumbup:

I DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE AND WHAT A SHAME. I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN IT. I FIND MYSELF THINKING..I'M A HUNGRY?...OR AM I WANTING SOMETHING?

I FEEL SO ASHAMED AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I AM LIKE THIS.

HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN REALLY HUNGRY TO HEAD HUNGER. I UNDERSTAND OF COURSE BUT ONCE I GET TO THAT POINT OF YEA:blink: I'M HUNGRY I THINK I'M PASTE THE POINT AND I'M STARVED AND DON'T EVEN WANT TO EAT THEN...BUT I DO CAUSE I KNOW I NEED TO....

I DON'T KNOW.....:mellow:

ANYONE...PLEASE?

Just remember you eat that cookie and you don't feel any different unless you feel guilty. If you don't eat the cookie you almost always feel good. Just stay strong and just keep yourself busy. I recently attended a buffett dinner for my Great Grandpa's 80th birthday. I knew about it in a week in advance and was reminded again that morning. For me, I would have normally been so stoked that I was going to this particular buffett that night. My boyfriend later reminded me about it, and I hadn't even thought twice about going. I was so happy. In my mind, that shows that food does not center my life anymore. I also barely ate and made good choices.

So this will pass. At about 3 months after surgery I started having cravings and as I did not satisfy, they passed. There is hope. Stay strong.