Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens when you overeat?

I was banded June 11th, I've had one fill. Going for my second fill Monday. Here's my question:

I have heard some people with the lap-band say that they can't overeat. That if they eat more than their pouch can hold, they will throw it up. Is that true for you? What consequences do you experience if you accidentally overeat?

At this point I can eat what I feel like is way too much food. Everything, even the stuff that shouldn't, is going down easy. I've never PBed or slimed or anything like that. I am trying to keep it under control. And I'm successful half of the time. But for instance, tonight for supper I had about 9 inches of a subway sandwich and 3 Cookies. I was so mad at myself for letting myself eat that much. But I am hoping and praying there will come a day when if I screw up and overdo it, there will be PB, Slime, vomiting, etc to help me stay on the right path.

If you over eat you will throw up. You have to eat very slow to allow youeself time to relaize you are no longer hungry. I have actually spit bites out because I relaized that if I swallowed that bite i would feel sick.

You haven't gotten to full restriction yet, so the food is still going through the band easily, allowing you to eat more. But don't get mad at yourself for eating 9" of the sub and 3 Cookies. If you're anything like I was, in pre-band days that would have been the whole 12" and the whole bag of Cookies, so you are ahead already! What you should be getting mad at yourself now for, is if it was the meatball sub with extra cheese instead of one of the leaner, fat free versions - that's a choice that's in your hands (if you picked the "good" one, give yourself a pat on the back!) When full restriction kicks in, you will feel full on the 6" and probably won't be able to finish that, or will just eat the filling, not the bread.

For me, if I eat too much but still follow the rules re eating slowly and chewing, I don't PB but I feel uncomfortable and get that heavy stretched tummy feeling that I used to get when I overate before the band. It just feels full and uncomfortable much higher up and isn't really as satisfying (I LIKED that pain before - sad, huh?). It took me a while to recognise that new sensation but I know it now and I don't like it, so I try hard not to let things get that far. Eating more slowly really helps to give your body the time to send those signals too. PBing only comes for me if I eat too quickly and don't chew (except for my last week, where I've had real problems with being too tight, but it looks like that's come good now, thank the stars!).

If you over eat you will throw up. You have to eat very slow to allow youeself time to relaize you are no longer hungry. I have actually spit bites out because I relaized that if I swallowed that bite i would feel sick.

i HAVE swallowed that last bite and yes, you will throw up. you have to learn to listen to your stomach, not your head and that is hard to do. i find it hard to stop eating something i enjoy eating.... like pizza. if i try to eat more than my stomach allows... even though it tastes SO good... i will be spending time over the toilet.

YOU NEED A FILL!

BUT, if you eat fast and do not chew chew chew and continue to eat past the band(liquids with food?); you will put yourself at risk to damage your band. :smile:

It happens. To answer your question, it is much easier not to "eat the whole thing" when you're restricted. :mad2:

When are you eligible for a fill? How much is in your band?

So... can you feel your food slip through the band as you eat?

At one point, I never felt the food slip through.. now I do. From what you all are saying... I might need another fill.

Oh.. and I sorta liked having the pain, too. It MADE me obey!

If you eat too much too fast you will more than likely PB. I have only PB'd once. There are several way to eat around the band. I do eat every once in a while and I hate it.

You don't have restriction yet. When you do you probably won't be able to eat the bread. It will make a big difference.

I just got my first fill about 3 wks ago...I have pb'd at least once a day since & I am still struggling to change 43 yrs of awful eating hablits (fast & too big of portions)...I have probably affected my band and will find out next Friday

I've only PBd twice in 9 months. Both times it was more that something got stuck than overeating. If I overeat, my stomach hurts BAD. And it doesn't go away for hours. I also get very intense and painful gas. So I pay for it. So for me, a PB isn't always the sign I have overeaten.

When I am at good restriction, I really have to listen to my band. Sometimes I don't, and I take that one last bite. When I do, I also pay. I am either miserable and uncomfortable for a few hours, or I pb. When you are at proper restriction, you will learn what your limits are. You will also learn what your stop signal is. For some, their nose starts running, they burp, etc. For me, I hiccup. When I hiccup, I know it is time to stop eating or suffer the consequences.

Susan, You're right. I forgot to mention that.... I hiccup too!!!! When I start with that, even my DH knows I've over done it and he'll put my plate away. He never says a word. Just picks it up, scrapes it off and in the sink it goes!!! I don't mind in the least, because he is so non-challant about it, and doesn't harp on me. Such a sweetie!!!

Hi my name is Trish, I was banded Oct. 2008. My weight loss so far 86 lbs.I have been doing really good until TODAY, I am really mad at myself. I let myself get to hungry(to busy) & went to Taco Johns and ate a super nacho. Did I eat all of it? NO. But I ate most of it. I started feeling guilty so I drank some of my daughters juice thinking I would throw up, no luck. Do you think I strech my pouch? I get a fill tommorrow

( 7-1-09). Of course I will tell my doc everything. Thanks for listening.

I would rather get stuck and vomit than overeat - I find it very painful and consequently have only done it a handful of times in four years.

If I overeat by enough I will vomit, but more often I've had an intense stretching sensation like I was going to burst, really horrid. And I get problems like not being able to lie down - I dont get any reflux, but it will gurgle and sit heavy and make me unable to sleep.

At least stuck, it hurts, you slime, you throw it up, its over. But that "i'm going to burst" feeling is absolutely awful

A bite or two too much may just make you feel like you ate three plates full at Thanksgiving (like Jachut described). But more than that won't even go into your pouch, will get stuck and you will PB it all right back up. The first time you get stuck, you'll be in so much pain and so miserable until it moves that you'll pray for a PB. 9" of a foot long sandwich? (I can't even eat soft bread, not even a bite.) Three Cookies on top of that? I know I couldn't eat anywhere near that volume of food without PBing and wouldn't push myself because I don't want the feeling of pain and the slime that come with that.

Sometimes a get a headache if I eat too much. I have also felt like I can not even swallow the bite that was in my mouth. I have never PBd or thrown up (Thank God) I HATE throwing up!