Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after your surgery did you go back to work?

I had my surgery on Thursday, August 14th. I'm going to work on Monday, August 18th.

I'm a teacher and that is the day that our Staff Development days start. The kids don't actually come back until the 25th.

Did you feel you were ready to go back or did you feel like you had to?

Hi Paula, I have a telecommuting desk job with very flexible hours. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I went back on Monday. You should be fine but you may be a little sore and tired.

I actually took off 2 weeks because I kept running a low temp. But once I went back to work, no more fever. I was very tired for the first 2 days (I'm a banker in a branch). But then again, I'm older than you. You can do it!

Hi Paula!

Congratulations on your surgery, and I hope you are feeling well.

I was banded on August 6th, and my first day of teacher inservice was the 14th. I felt fine; I just had kids come up and help with the pushing and lifting.(1/2 workday)

I was on full liquids then, so I wasn't feeling weak and tired from having Clear Liquids only, actually pretty lively with some real, though liquid, food in me. I kept a huge mug of Water with me constantly so that I wouldn't get dehydrated.

Good Luck!

I had my surgery the 29th and was back working out 6 days later. Im a teacher too! I think you will fine at the Staff Development Days. You might be a little tired. I feel like I finally got my energy back at 2 weeks. If you are still on liquids and are allowed to drink 100% no sugar added Apple juice do it. It will help. Also B12 Vitamins are great to add some energy. Depending on what grade you have will also play a part in it. I don't have kids til the 15th of September so I should be more than ready to go. I teach pre-K so I made sure I would be past my recovery before taking on 20 four year olds. You will do great! :)

I milked it for all it was worth!!! I've been turned down for vacation and called in to work during vacation all year. I got the short term disability to cover 2 weeks and I took an extra week of vacation on top of that. It got me through getting my son back to school!

I was banded on July 28th and go back to work this Monday, Aug 18th. Of course, I could have gone back like a week ago or more, but what's the fun in that? I also got a little bit of infection so I'm glad I took the extra time!

I had my surgery on a Thursday and I was back to work the following Monday. However, I wasn't feeling the greatest, I was still in a little bit of pain and I had no energy. If I could do it over, I would have taken a full week off. It seemed by the end of 7 days, all my pain was gone and I was moving around normally again.

Personally, the minimum amount of time I would take off would be 4 days. I had the surgery on a Friday, and went back on Monday...couldn't stay longer than 2 hours. Good luck and thank you for being a teacher.

I had surgery on a Wed and I was back to work the next Thursday. There was no way I could have returned prior to that. I was in a lot of pain the entire first week.

The first week I was back to work was tough. I was on all Clear Liquids still and exhausted!

The 3rd week I was OK'd to start Mushies and felt MUCH better.

Paula, I'm also a teacher and I will be going back one week later. I'm not missing any days with students, however, I will miss the first staff development day for teachers. There is a teacher in my building who had the surgery done on a Wednesday and was back to work the following Monday. Just take it easy. Take care.

Hi, Paula,

I was banded July 1st, on a Tuesday, and went back the following Tuesday. I am a nurse who works 12 hours, and for my first 3 days, I worked only 8. My coworkers helped me with any heavy lifting, and I was able to get through it. I was very tired, though. The next week, I worked 2 12 hour shifts and then a 4 hour shift, and drove about 280 miles to a chorus festival I had planned for a long time to attend. While I was very tired, and sometimes a bit sore, I was very glad I went to the festival, but coming back, I immediately got a cold with cough and sore throat and muscle aches, and then had to take off a week+ at work. I think I did too much, and would really advise taking it a lot easier. I felt like I had to go back to work, we work in a closed unit, and there is a lot of pressure to not miss work.

I was banded on Friday, August 8th and went back on Monday, August 18th. I did work from home some to keep the work under control. I napped and took it easy the whole week.

On my way back in to work on Monday, I felt like it might be a mistake because I have such a long commute and a generally stressful job. I probably worked about 7 hours, but ended up skipping out of work today to rest. I had a 6am telecon this morning and another on Wednesday. I'll go in on Wednesday for the 6am meeting, but I suspect I'll want to leave early. We'll see.

I was banded on friday 10/26/07 and went back that monday 10/29/07. I was a little tired but i made it all day. I have a desk job so it was not that bad. I did walk around alot more that week than i normally do due to some minor gas pains. Over all it was a great experience for me. Good luck with your wls journery.

Skinny2be

kristie