Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can barely eat 1/4 cup of food!

UPDATE...well, it seems to be getting worse instead of better. It's a real effort to get the Protein in. I've thrown up two out of three dinners recently. The first one, not too bad, but last-night...all. I'm worried about not being able to eat normally (even with excessive chewing). I did have a Protein shake last night and did fine. I have another fill appointment on September 2nd and I am pretty sure I'm going to cancel that. But, on the positive side...I really don't feel hungry and I'm getting great compliments on my weight loss!!

QUESTION: I always use light soy milk (vanilla flavored) to make (mix with) my protein shakes (from the powder)...does anyone use just Water and are they (still) good?

I agree with the fact that you may cancel this coming fill. Don't base your fills on anyone else but what you feel comfortable with. I have only had two fills since my surgery in December. I have lost 60lbs, not as much as other people may have in the same period of time. But I look and feel great. I don't thrown up as often. Probably once a week and that is when I have tried to eat something new and have not judged the right amount or chewed it completely.

I have refused fills even though my insurance is paying for it until December of this year. I really don't want to be no tighter than I am. This is comfortable for me and I am losing weight in the process. I want to lose slowly and give my body time to adjust and give myself time to save money to buy clothes as I lose.

Bottom line, do what is best for YOU and what feel comfortable for YOU. Throwing up as often as it sound you are doing, it not good and I am sure it doesn't feel good either. You may need a slight adjustment. It will not hurt.

Good luck

Banded 12/17/07

244.5S/184C/165G

I am was in a very similar situation as you and the only thing I could tolerate was liquidify Cream of Wheat and my Myoplex Protein drinks for the last couple of weeks and I've dropped more weight. I am now a pound from entering into the 230's.

I had my 2nd fill on July 27th and have struggled with solids since then. Being that it was only my 2nd fill (4cc) I really didn't know what was normal and what's not until now. Everyone told me after the fill to just give it time and let your body adapt. Well finally I had my first episode of Pb'ing Saturday night, then another on Sunday and Monday. Even a bite of an omlete (spelling ??) made me Pb. So at 4:15 this morning I woke up with pain in my belly, radiating to the middle of my back. Swallowing saliva gave me this pulling, burning sensation in my back. I called the call center for the doc on call in distress and was told to come into the office this morning. He did an unfill and now I have to have an upper GI done just to make sure the band is ok. But despite the distress I had these past few weeks, people have noticed my drastic weight loss as well. Though this is very encouraging for me, I admit that once the unfill was done, the pain was somewhat gone and the idea of being able to eat solids again was just so exciting! So I have to return in two weeks, hopefully the GI will be on the positive, to start from scratch with the fills. I will just enjoy it until then. But now I have learned what stuck feels like and when I'm about to slim. Hopefully in time I will learn that comfortable spot.

I do hope you feel better.

SMWWW, I really struggle with how much I should eat. The Dr. said 1 cup of food, but sometimes I can eat a lot more and sometimes I can only eat a few bites. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but I exersice like crazy. I think I am eating too much or not enough?? I use the realize site to track every morsel of food that I put into my mouth. I usually eat between 1000 to 1700 per day.

SMWWW, I really struggle with how much I should eat. The Dr. said 1 cup of food, but sometimes I can eat a lot more and sometimes I can only eat a few bites. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but I exersice like crazy. I think I am eating too much or not enough?? I use the realize site to track every morsel of food that I put into my mouth. I usually eat between 1000 to 1700 per day.

Woodsy, sound like you are doing the right things. You have lost 34lbs!!!!! That is great!!!! R U having any problems? Be more specific. I would be glad to give you any insight I can.

For instance: The amount of food really depends on the food. It varies for me each day, no day is the same. Even if I eat the same food. I may eat a few spoon fulls/a cup/ or a plate. It really depend on the texture of the food. The key for me is to STOP eating as SOON as I feel a certain feeling in my throat. I have reach my limit then. My calorie intact MAY be 1000-1200 per day. Never more than that really. I try to judge how much calories I take in per day.

Edited by smwww

Woodsy, sound like you are doing the right things. You have lost 34lbs!!!!! That is great!!!! R U having any problems? Be more specific. I would be glad to give you any insight I can.

For instance: The amount of food really depends on the food. It varies for me each day, no day is the same. Even if I eat the same food. I may eat a few spoon fulls/a cup/ or a plate. It really depend on the texture of the food. The key for me is to STOP eating as SOON as I feel a certain feeling in my throat. I have reach my limit then. My calorie intact MAY be 1000-1200 per day. Never more than that really. I try to judge how much calories I take in per day.

SMWWW, I am 5'10" and weigh 238. I have been the same weight (up or down 2 pounds) for this entire month and no matter how little I eat, it never moves. I was thinking maybe I need to exercise to build more muscle mass so my metabolic rate will increase. I am just frustrated right now and can't figure this out. My sister has the band and says she only eat 3 bites at a time, but eats all day long. She eats 2400 cals a day and has maintained her 100 weight loss, so I ask where am I going wrong here?

I can eat a lot of soft foods like mexican foods, but oatmeal and puddings don't go down well. salad, I can eat about 2 cups of lettuce and veggies. The later in the day, the more I can eat. Why is that?

UPDATE...things are much better. I do feel restriction, but can eat a reasonable amount and it's going well. I've lost more weight, gone from a 22 to an 18 (and the 18's aren't tight at all). I put together a HUGE box of clothes that are all too big on me. I joined a gym. I have an appointment on Tuesday for my 2nd fill, but I am still not sure I will get one. Love reporting this good stories!!

My dietician said they don't know why is swells, it just does. I can't even drink a cold Protein Shake in the morning. I have to have coffee or hot tea before I can have anything cold. Not a Breakfast person anyway so the shakes are fine with me in the am. After I work out, it seems like I can't eat much either. Don't know why that happens either does anyone?