Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Jupiter Florida

Hello everyone. My name is Peter and I am 35 years old living with my wife and son in sunny Jupiter, Florida. I am having my first consult tomorrow with the surgeon and look forward to moving closer to a new life. Like many others I am sure I have been a big guy most of my life but really didn't put the heavy weight on until I started my career behind a desk.

Here is to a new life and a new beginning. :thumbup:

Hi Peter, I live in Martin County. I am going to an informative meeting tomorrow night at Jupiter Medical Center. Who is doing your surgery? I think I will probally use Dr Vaughan. Best of luck to you.

Hello Pebbles!

I am actually going to the same meeting tomorrow night with Dr. Vaughan at Jupiter Medical. It is exciting to meet someone on here who is also going there.

Have you done any research on other doctors in the area?

I checked into Dr Rittersbach at Martin Memorial, but he has only performed 2 surgeries. I know 2 people who had Dr Larson from J.F.K do theirs. Other than that, I have been on this website trying to learn as much as I can. My insurance will not cover the procedure so I will be a self pay.

That's hard to hear about people whose insurance will not cover the procedure. My wife is in the same boat. She has insurance through Aetna and they will not cover it and it would cost us about $400 a month to add her onto my insurance. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Florida Options which I have been told a couple of times will cover the procedure.

Well hopefully Dr. Vaughan will have some answer on how to deal with this and how to appeal the insurance company this. Do you have any co-morbities?

I do not have any co-morbitities, and I already spoke to my insurance company. They are firm about not covering any wls. Dr Vaughan's office quoted me approx $17,000.

I do not have any co-morbitities, and I already spoke to my insurance company. They are firm about not covering any wls. Dr Vaughan's office quoted me approx $17,000.

Hey Pete, welcome! I live in NJ transplanted from West Palm Beach, Lantana to be exact! Hope to end up in the south again some day. I love Fla.

Good luck with you meeting and going forward with you lapband!

I have an aunt who had the LB surgery done in Mexico. Hers was just under $10,000. It might be worth it to look into going to Mexico for the surgery if it means saving yourself that much money.

-------------------------

Hi Momx5! Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Peter. I think its neat that you and Pebbles will meet. So ironic. I love irony. A lot of people on here have gone to Mexico. Try to connect with them! I heard its cheaper. I think its a shame that ins. can deny the surgery. Everyone goes to work everyday and pays into their ins. and for what? To be denied?

Anyways welcome! Let us know how it goes.

Bella

hi pete. i used to work and live in jupiter. i worked at jupiter medical center and had two surgeries there. great hospital. i recommend the hospital. i had my surgery in mexico with dr.daniel huacuz. i think he is super. if you can get your surgery close to home than i think it is better . i miss jupiter. i used to catch snook right off the shore at the jupiter inlet. good luck with your journey. did you do any research on the sleeve? hope all goes well with you.

Thanks Bella and Catz for the welcomes.

I love living in Jupiter. My wife and I live in Abacoa and I work just a short drive to North Palm Beach. With having a 10 month old I don't get out to do fishing much but it is great being here right at the beach.

I have looked at all three procedures (by-pass, lap band, sleeve) and in my opinion that lap band is the safest way to go. I really have a problem with the idea of completely cutting out a part of the stomach. You body uses that to pull nutrients and minerals to use. If you no longer have use of that part of the body what truly are the long term effects? I am sure that some can answer that but it's just something I have always had issues with. I very much like that the lap band is an adjustable method and is laperscopic surgery as well.

hello everyone. My name is peter and i am 35 years old living with my wife and son in sunny jupiter, florida. I am having my first consult tomorrow with the surgeon and look forward to moving closer to a new life. Like many others i am sure i have been a big guy most of my life but really didn't put the heavy weight on until i started my career behind a desk.

Here is to a new life and a new beginning. :)

hi...pete!!

I live in west palm beach in wellington. I had my surgery done on 5/22/08 in Mexico because insurance denied me. I was a self pay and don't regret it a bit!! I have lost 25lbs and will be going for my 1st fill on aug/30. I've had no bad side affects or problems, so far, and just starting to get hungry most days......so have decided to now go for fill. Good luck on your journey and hope you get approve!!!

Lena23

Hi Lena,

Thanks for the welcome! It is great to see so many people from the Palm Beach County and Martin County area on the forums here.

I hear it can be a battle with the insurance companies to get approved. Hopefully I won't have as much of a problem as others have. I don't like weighing myself very often so I don't do it. LOL - But I did weigh myself a couple of weeks ago. I weighed in at 464 lbs. This actually was pretty exciting for me back in January of this year I weighed in at 486 lbs. I am 6'-3" tall so if all the BMI internet calculators are right I am at 58. I am not sure what comorbities are so I cannot comment if I have any but my primary care physician said I should have no troubles getting approved with my insurace.

It's been hard to admit that I weigh as much as I do and it's hard for me to know that I need to lose more then double my body weight. I can remember back when I weighed 375 lbs and thought to myself "Yeah I am overweight but I am not 400 lbs and I am active". Then changes came about and I stopped being active and soon I went to the doctor and I was over 400 lbs. The doctors office couldn't weigh me so I stopped even caring what I weighed anymore. I infact didn't want to know anymore. It really wasn't until my wife got pregnant with our son that I started to get serious about it. I found a realtively inexpensive scale that I could get to weigh myself. That's when I found out that I was 486 lbs and was in shock. I couldn't believe that I was almost 500 lbs and had a 3 month old baby boy. I want to be around for myself and for my boy.

I started walking and working to eat better. Over the last 8 months I have lost 20 lbs but I just don't feel like it. I was actually surprised the other day when I weighed myself to see that I had.

Anyway that's a little bit more about myself. Thanks again for all the welcomes and I look forward to taking steps forward with a better life.