Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what kind of pain reliever or anti inflammatory

medicine can you use after the band?

I have painful knees and get back pain. After you have the band are you unable to have Advil?

I know I've read this somewhere and I can't find it.

Any ideas? Or links?

Chronic use of Non-Steroidal anti-inflamatories after gastric banding is not advised due to the potential of stomach bleeding or ulceration. Very occasional use is okay. If you chronically use advil or aleve or any other NSAID you should find alternate medical intervention for your pain if you are banded or are going to be.

Good question - i was wondering the same thing. My dr had said a couple months ago that pills were ok if they were smaller than an m&m (which the coated caplets are) - but i did nor clarify for how long that was going to be ok. I see them again in a little over a week so i'll have to ask

My doc said no advil, aleve, ibuprofin or prescription anti-inflammatory drugs ever because of causing erosion or ulcers.

medicine can you use after the band?

I have painful knees and get back pain. After you have the band are you unable to have Advil?

I know I've read this somewhere and I can't find it.

Any ideas? Or links?

I was able to find tylenol in the liquid form for Adults

Chronic use of any medicine is a problem. Anyone (banded, not, overweight, not) may potentially experience stomach upset or potential ulcers from NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) - but usually it is due to long term and/or heavy use.

NSAIDS can cause ulcers by affecting the LINING of the stomach in 3 different ways but they only affect the lining - our bands or on the outside of our stomachs. If you just happened to be getting an ulcer at the spot where your band is - that would be unfortunate and you should (upon recommendation from your DR) stop use of anti-inflammatories - but would be separate from any erosion caused by your band - if you happened to have both I would consider you very unlucky but the 2 events would most likely be unrelated. Now I could possibly see a potential correlation if you are someone who pushes your band to the limit (eats fast, takes big bites, eats a lot, throws up routinely) - here there would be more stress on the lower area of your pouch created by the band and your stomach lining itself may be more stressed (more from throwing up than the improper eating)

BOTTOM LINE - You need to do what your DR says! But educate yourself and know it's ok to ask questions.

Oh I'm all about asking questions, hence asking this one :)

I hope that eventually after losing some weight and working out more that my joints would feel better.

I just worried about headaches and the pain right after surgery when you aren't losing much yet.

Chronic use of any medicine is a problem. Anyone (banded, not, overweight, not) may potentially experience stomach upset or potential ulcers from NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) - but usually it is due to long term and/or heavy use.

NSAIDS can cause ulcers by affecting the LINING of the stomach in 3 different ways but they only affect the lining - our bands or on the outside of our stomachs. If you just happened to be getting an ulcer at the spot where your band is - that would be unfortunate and you should (upon recommendation from your DR) stop use of anti-inflammatories - but would be separate from any erosion caused by your band - if you happened to have both I would consider you very unlucky but the 2 events would most likely be unrelated. Now I could possibly see a potential correlation if you are someone who pushes your band to the limit (eats fast, takes big bites, eats a lot, throws up routinely) - here there would be more stress on the lower area of your pouch created by the band and your stomach lining itself may be more stressed (more from throwing up than the improper eating)

BOTTOM LINE - You need to do what your DR says! But educate yourself and know it's ok to ask questions.

I beg to differ in many respects. The health of the inner aspect of your stomach is just as important as the surface the band rests on. Gastric ulcers and bleeding are a serious matter to any bariatric patient, especially those fitted with a gastric band. Just having the band in place leads to further complexity in treating any gastric disease; most notibly difficulty using endoscopy to diagnose and treat gastric health processes. Gastric ulceration and bleeding can lead to having to have an unfill or even having the band removed. Utilizing preventitive measures like abstaining from or avoiding use of NSAIDs is paramount.

I just talked to the doc about this very question...I knew he said nothing but tylenol, but I had cramps, damn it! Tylenol doesn't do anything for that...lol. He said exactly the same thing about ulcers, etc. I had back and knee problems...I have lost 50 pounds and they magically disappeared, but now I have regular periods with breast tenderness and pain, and the cherry on the period sundae is cramps from hell....yeah...lap-band...lol...gotta love it!

I agree the health of the stomach lining is very important and I would totally support the idea that prevention is never wrong. However, many people will never have a problem with ulcers due to NSAIDS banded or not. My physician is ok with my occasional use of Ibuprofen, and as I stated before everyone needs to follow the advice of their physicians.

Ewwww...I have rheumatoid arthritis and regularly take a strong NSAID. Hope that doesn't prevent them from approving my surgery! Part of my hope to have the surgery is to take some stress off my joints.

~~anne

Ewwww...I have rheumatoid arthritis and regularly take a strong NSAID. Hope that doesn't prevent them from approving my surgery! Part of my hope to have the surgery is to take some stress off my joints.

~~anne

The preferred bariatric procedure for patients who are on chronic NSAID therapy is the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy because there is a higher complication rate with NSAID use with Gastric Banding and RNY Gastric Bypass. Some physicians may be willing to take on a band patient on chronic NSAIDs. You will need to also need to be monitored for gastric disease (ulcers, bleeding) and will definetely need to take a Proton Pump Inhibitor (Prilosec, Protonix, Prevacid) and or a H2 blocker (Pepcid, Tagamet) for the rest of your life.

If I were in your shoes I would take a good look at the Gastric Sleeve. If my insurance would have covered it, I would have done the sleeve instead of the band.

Good luck to you.