Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My American Idol experience!

Wow! This is crazy! I am in SLC with my granddaughter. The auditions are Tuesday but we had to be here two days early for registration so we flew in Saturday.

We got in line at 5 am Sunday morning at the Energy Solutions Arena. There were about 2,000 in front of us. (Many who slept in their cars.) Thousands more lined up behind us. This is the line to get a wristband which gets you in for the first audition. The doors were going to open at 8:30 am so that was a long time to stand in line. At least it was dark part of the time so we were only in the sun a couple of hours.

After an hour of standing, this wild herd of iPod wearing hopefuls all eventually plopped down on the hard cement to wait for their chance at stardom. (There were few of us who were over the age of 28 and not too many bigger than a size 6.) No way I was going to be able to stand there for 2 1/2 more hours so I made the decision to claim my space on the cement and worry about how to get up later. We were not really in a line, but in a mob. I was somewhere in the middle of the swarm.

As the time went on, the little space I claimed seemed to get smaller. Maybe I took up more than my fair share? Everyone kept getting closer and closer as if that was going to get them nearer to the front. You can only imagine what happened when the sun came up and the camera wagon rolled by! It was a stampede to get into camera view! I just sat in a fetal position and protected my head.

Made it through that near death experience and finally the doors opened. I could see movement way up yonder as the crowd stood up. We were a human wave! Had to get up and fast! OK everyone, make way! Here I come! To my surprise, I was able to stand up all by myself! I couldn't believe it! And I didn't wobble or bounce off everyone like a giant pinball. My NSV!

Well, she got her wristband! (One dream come true. Second one pending.) Tuesday she auditions. We have to be there by 5 am but the seats are assigned this time so I just have to dodge the camera stampedes and one more obstacle: We are in row 28 so I have to be able to climb up with this wild crazy mob! I have a feeling they won't be moving slow!

Wish me luck! And oh yes, wish my granddaughter luck too. Her name is Kaleigh.

wristbandsm.JPG

that is SO great - you taking your granddaughter....good luck to her,

i'm an addict of the show, so i'll be watching:)

That is so cool! Keep us posted on how it goes.

GOOD LUCK!!! Give Simon a good wink for me:wink:

:eek::D

Great NSV. I got out of a low beach chair yesterday so I totally understand what you are saying. How fun! I wish her luck. Let us know how it goes today.

Thanks for all the good wishes! Kaleigh didn't make it to Hollywood but did get to audition early on. We had a great time. I was able to stand longer and walk so much farther than I expected. Even in the hot weather. I lost 2 pounds during the trip.

Here are some pictures of our adventure.

Click on the link: www.dbkeefer.com

Even if she didn't make it...that had to be an awesome experience for both of you. Maybe we will see you guys on TV!!