Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those with the Realize band.

I am six weeks out of surgery (Aug 4) and I am going in for my first fill today. I am going to request that I do NOT get a fill. I can only eat small portions and certain things I cannot eat at all. I can't believe I have so much restriction w/o any thing in my band (as per my doctor) and most folks need 8 cc to feel restriction. I have lost 17.5 pounds, which isn't great but I am a slow loser. I was feeling lucky I have so much restriction but now I'm thinking there might be something wrong? Has anyone else had their "sweet spot" immediately? :)

Rockbandster,

It's not that no one appreciates the help you're trying to offer, it's that your posts come off as being very hostile and combative. If you truly feel Lap Band is superior, state your case objectively then leave it alone. You can't take on the whole world by yourself. Everyone is going to make his or her own decision, just as the doctors at the hospital where you work have made theirs.

By the way, how many doctors at your hospital actually do WLS? I know many nurses who react with doctors as well who may have a different opinion. Doctors in the same group tend to think alike. It doesn't mean they've found the Holy Grail.

We all need to be careful in our choices. But in the end, the choice is ours.

I am six weeks out of surgery (Aug 4) and I am going in for my first fill today. I am going to request that I do NOT get a fill. I can only eat small portions and certain things I cannot eat at all. I can't believe I have so much restriction w/o any thing in my band (as per my doctor) and most folks need 8 cc to feel restriction. I have lost 17.5 pounds, which isn't great but I am a slow loser. I was feeling lucky I have so much restriction but now I'm thinking there might be something wrong? Has anyone else had their "sweet spot" immediately? :)

I read about someone who never got a fill and lost 100 pounds. Don't forget that early out your stomach is probably swollen too. So you might need one later on even if you don't now.

Just curious, are you a laparoscopic surgeon? I had one of the top surgeons in the US and left the decision up to him based on my medical history and what he saw as my medical needs. He chose the Realize Band although he also uses the other brands and certainly has no personal agenda to push.

Sorry, the above question was for Rockbandster and I see now it has already been answered. I also want to add I am very pleased with my band. Fast is not as important to me as permanent.

Anne

wow...this is quite a thread. I was just banded with the realize band two days ago, and was looking for infomation on the website, which the rockband seems to think is useless and won't be used.

Now I have an icky feeling like I made some bad choice. I don't quite understand someone spending so much time bashing a medical device that many people on this board have used. A better way to present your obvious superior knowledge would be to state your case for the lap band and shut up. People are getting defensive b/c you are acting like a complete consedescending jerk. (myself included) I find your posts to be nothing more than copy/paste *bullshit* as you put it, that you found using google, or maybe wiki.

So with all your obvious smartness and such, you have done nothing but made me upset and to think you are a jerk. Well done. Had you just posted a link and left well enough alone, I wouldn't have thought much about it..instead you start going on and on about J and J and packaging and stats you don't back up.:):thumbup:

That was rockbandster's intention. If I were the lap-band folks, I would want to create an aura of doubt about the quality of my biggest competitor. What better way to create that aura than to send people onto widely-used discussion groups to bash the Realize band? Because it works! I also felt bad every time I'd read one of these posts (did I make a mistake??). I talked to my Dr. about it, and he has years and years of experience with the lap-band, and only started using the realize ban in June. He is very agnostic re: the two bands; he thinks they are the same. If people were really losing lots more weight on the newest lap-band vs. the earlier la-bands included in the Realize vs. Lap-band comparisons, he would be in a position to know. And he hasn't seen any dramatic difference like that. In fact, the only thing he said to me re: the new lap-band was that it was "less forgiving" than the old lap-band (he has a nurse who had a slipped band, and he replaced it with the newest lap-band AP. She described it to him that way.). Personally, "less forgiving" sounds like a WORSE quality of life. There was a study I found on google with the older lap-bands vs. the realize band that found that the realize band didn't have as much food intolerance issues, and that the weight loss was initially a little slower for realize, but the conclusion was that the weight loss equalized after 18 months, and as far as they knew, the quality of life was the same in the end for both.

No one seems to mention the software that comes with the Realize Band. It was the main thing that made me choose Realize. My surgeon said both bands were the same but he was having better success lately with the Realize Band and he attributed to the software. I personally love the software and sign on EVERY day to use it. Check it out if you haven't yet.

https://www.realizemysuccess.com/launch.htm

Or look at their brochures. :thumbup:

I too have the realize band and I'm registered on the site.

However, I have a question. Is there not a Realize forum to connect with other people? I don't seem to find anything like that.

TIA

Speck, I attended a seminar pre-banding by a Realize Band rep (several people were in attendance that already had the Realize Band), and he asked for suggestions to improve their site. The need for a discussion forum was the number one comment. He said that he would definitely take that suggestion back to Realize. He said that initially they had thought that the message boards already out here would be sufficient, but that they have been getting requests for a forum on their site. I have to admit that I haven't been on their site yet, but if there's a place to make comments, I think the more people who ask about a forum, the more likely it is they'll add one.

Just to add...I have had my REALIZE BAND since May...and I am loving every minute of it. I may not be loosing fast but I am smaller now than I have been in 15yrs...that says something! Wouldn't trade it for anything. All you Realize Bandsters...keep your chin up and don't let that crazy freak Detour you from thinking you have made the right decision for you!!

I to was banded in May. I love that the scale has been going in the right direction since then. Even if I'm not perfect I just stay the same for a week. I love that the band doesn't make me feel like I am on a diet. I can eat pretty much anything just smaller portions. It is this that has made me believe the weight will eventually come off. Maybe not the fastest but then I didn't gain all the weight overnight either.

HI All,

I am glad I found this post. I was banded in March with the realize band and lost 35 lbs right off. I went in last week for my 4th fill and the doctor told me that my band holds 11 cc's and I had 8.5 in there and he told me i was reaching the max for fills. He did end up giving me 1/2 cc so i guess i have 9cc's in there. I was sad because he said if this doesnt kick in soon i am going to have to look into other weight loss surgeries. On one hand, I am smaller than I have been able to get in years and happy about it. On the other hand, i thought i would have lost more weight and have more restriction. I guess they have never put this much fill in anyone. That makes me feel like a freak. I did get mad at the doctor and say" this is going to work. it already has, i am off my diabetes meds, my blood pressure is great, and I'm maintaining my weight within a couple of lbs, something i have never been able to do, so I know it is going to work" He is the new fill doctor and the surgeon who did my surgery is very supportive and tells me all the time it is going to work. I have to be honest and say i havent been exercising and measuring my food. I am going to start that today. I will never give up on becoming healthy. good luck to you all. I totally get the frustration because I have been there too.

Newbeginnings

Newbeginnings, you are definitely NOT a "freak"! I have a close friend who has more than the top fill in a Vanguard Lap Band, and she doesn't have good restriction either. You are not alone. I don't know why this happens, if it's the placement or the anatomy, but, sadly, it does happen.

I just wanted to comment on the size of the Realize Band. It's a 9cc band. I went to a seminar by a Realize Band rep, and he said that you can get a bit more Fluid that 9cc's and it's not going to burst, but, I went to this seminar, pre-band days, and I forget the exact amount he said it could hold.

Also, I've read lots of posts from people on here, that needed just a final small tweak to get good restriction. Hopefully, you're there now. Good luck!!

Newbeginnings, I have never said this before because I believe strongly in listening to your doctors advice . . . and always thought this should be taken over anything said in a forum. However, please take your new fill doctors statement with a grain of salt, and don't be discouraged.

When I reached perfect restriction, the tiniest fill (.25cc) was entirely too much. However, .5 cc less was entirely too loose. When you reach the correct restriction level you will notice all of the difference in the world.

I had great restriction at 8.3 which is close to where you are now, and our bodies are all different. I doubt that if they filled you to capacity that you would not feel restriction. You just have to get to the "right" level and any other level is too much or too little.

I have never heard of any doctor saying you have to convert to a different WLS because you havent gotten to a sufficient restriction level. As long as you are eating healthy, exercising and following bandster rules, there is no way you can not lose. Have heart and just disregard this insensitive answer for now . . . you already know that you can lose the weight.