Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those with the Realize band.

Oh good lord. Get a life, dude. There are so many more important issues in this world than J&J and their crappy marketing practices (which I agree with, but I have bigger things to be concerned about; I'm sorry you don't). For every negative thing you can show, someone else is going to show you something positive. That's how these things work.

You should look into Earth First, they would love you.

You're telling me to get a life yet you voluntarily jumped into this thread attacking and making judgements when you clearly have no knowledge of Gastric Banding or advances in medicine. The bottom line is you cannot produce a study which shows superiority in EWL for the Realize Band because there isn't one. I'm sharing with you information that most people don't know and you're making me sound like I'm doing something wrong.

You're telling me to get a life yet you voluntarily jumped into this thread attacking and making judgements when you clearly have no knowledge of Gastric Banding or advances in medicine. The bottom line is you cannot produce a study which shows superiority in EWL for the Realize Band because there isn't one. I'm sharing with you information that most people don't know and you're making me sound like I'm doing something wrong.

While I don't agree with how the other poster made his/her point, I think they have a valid point. I agree with providing information, but you seem to be very aggressive in your distaste for the realize band and just hang out in this forum saying everything you can against it. Sometimes I think you work for Lap-Band.

You made a choice and I am making the opposite choice. Your so called evidence comes from one source - it reality, there needs to be more studies done to come to a clear conclusion. I think both bands offer advantages and it all depends on what a patient is looking for.

Maybe you should just town down your comments.

isn't what the patient looking weight loss? What other things are you looking for?

Weight loss is a given with either band if you do what you are supposed to do. I feel that I will lose a comparable amount of weight with either band. So it is the smaller things that make the difference to me.

I have provided you substantial clinical proof that your odds of losing more weight faster with the new lap bands is greater than that of the Realize Band - yet for some reason you insist on ignoring it- Im not wasting anymore of my time to trying to help anyone on this site because you people are way to close-minded and stubborn -good luck

I have provided you substantial clinical proof that your odds of losing more weight faster with the new lap bands is greater than that of the Realize Band - yet for some reason you insist on ignoring it- Im not wasting anymore of my time to trying to help anyone on this site because you people are way to close-minded and stubborn -good luck

BYE! Have a lovely Realize band-free life! :(:dita::hurray::tt2::cool2::party::lol::cursing:

People come here for advice so if your not an advanced laproscopic surgeon which who knows what they are talking about, you really should stop saying these products are equal unless you have clinical proof to back it up, comparing apples to apples-not a reprint which compares different pressure bands and the way they were implanted.

Hi rockbandster,

Just curious, as per your direct quote above, can you please state what your medical background is that qualifies you to give advice on the different types of bands available? I am assuming from all your posts and your statement that perhaps you are an "advanced laproscopic surgeon"?

Thanks.

Susan, LBT moderator and administrator

I don't think we are close minded. I just think you seem so militant about hating the Realize band, that you show no one any grace if they disagree with you. We don't mind your input, but you seem to want us to listen to you but won't listen to anyone else. This site is to offer support and friendly discussion, not to tell people how wrong they are. Most of us listen to our doctor's who have had 9 years plus of education past medical school, and while they are not perfect they have much more experience than in judging what is best for us on an individual basis than some person on an internet site that hasn't seen our medical charts

It makes me sad when threads descend into bickering.

Everyone has different opinions and there can be many different opinions on any given topic, and I like to hear different opinions myself . . . but I can't stand when the tone starts to sound like a free for all. Can't we be a little nicer to each other???

Their next generation band will be out next year to if this old technology was so good that wouldn't be happening would it? y

So I guess that means when Lap Band updated their technology 3x it was because their band was no good... :tt1:

Technology advances and changes are made. Many of the changes made to the LapBand AP system were made precisely because the Realize band was introduced into the marketplace and had improvements that the LapBand lacked. Now Realize is going to improve their band in an attempt to be the clearly superior band. If they succeed, LapBand will update their bands again.

The consumer wins because neither company can rest on its laurels or the other company will put it out of business.

Just another thought here about the Realize band technology.

It's been stated repeatedly that the Realize band is the same one as the Swedish version in 1996, but according to the FDA, which approved its use in this country, it has been modified even since the US clinical trials in which it was tested. Anyone interested can go to the US government's website for the approval posting and summary letter, or I can post here. So basically, Endo-Ethicon, which makes it, didn't just slap on a new label over an old product.

There, I've had my say.

My qualifications are I am a Lapband patient and work in hospital where many lapbands are performed and have close interaction with all the surgeons who do both Realize, Lapband and Gastric Bypass.

and further - the main modification vs the clinical trial which my doctor was a part of was they tied a piece of string to the end of the band to pull it through around the stomach-the design of the band is unchanged.

I do not hate The Realize band or anyone else- I do feel it's important that if your going to go through these significant life changes and the pain of surgery you have all the correct information of which J&J is not out there providing. Most people dont get to interact with Surgeons daily -it seems like my help is unappreciated so adios.